Meredith Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Meredith Corporation Reviews

Updated July 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Culture there puts a strong emphasis on work/life balance, so you will be glad to come to work and do your best (in 39 reviews)

• Good benefits well beyond the standard (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance isn't what it used to be (in 8 reviews)

• Corporate environment without much room for growth (in 7 reviews)

"Editor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They give their employees higher salaries and decent benefits.

Cons

They are constantly reworking departments and laying off good workers.

Advice to Management

They shouldn't be so quick to lay off good employees who work hard for the company. They should consider offering alternative positions within the company.

2. "On-boarding is everything"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

WOW. I've been in the television industry for more than 20 years and my experience here at Meredith has been second-to-none. The goodness began early with the interview and on-boarding process and continues to this day. The clear communication from leadership as well from HR has been consistent, kind, respectful and very empowering.

Cons

Need to consider allocation of resources. However, leadership is always open to suggestions and looking to make changes where necessary.

3. "Sr. Project Manager / Producer"

Former Employee - Project Manager/Senior Producer in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Senior Producer in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Collaborative, creative and dynamic work environment. Ability to work in all aspects of media with cross platform brands. Solid company with good executive management.

Cons

Changing business environment necessitates more term consulting jobs, with fewer full-time positions. Less job security as brands are evolving and shuttered. Company is more marketing focused with fewer editorial positions.

Advice to Management

Communication between mid-level managers and senior managers could use improvement. Strategic planning and business development opportunities not shared with junior staff. Layoffs of experienced senior staff has led to a "creative crisis. Lacking mentoring, younger employees are taking over roles they may not be prepared for, ultimately affecting the quality of content.

"Great benefits but not a collaborative or forward-thinking company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of smart, hard-working people; excellent benefits package; flexible hours (depending on your manager).

Cons

Company leadership is focused on shareholder returns, not on being an excellent publishing company. Way behind on many trends. Little concern for the individual employee and his/her growth. Each unit of the company is rich in knowledge but seems to want to hold all those "secrets" to themselves; no effort to share learnings and therefore increase every unit's chance at success. Company is very, very slow to replace positions as employees leave (if the positions are filled at all), so remaining employees simply get more and more work piled on.

Advice to Management

Employees work best and hardest when they feel valued, not when they're worried about getting laid off at the end of the next quarter or when they see their own pay stagnate while upper management makes very large salaries. Really work with all your employees, of all ages and all levels of experience, to help them grow and find how they can best contribute to the company.

5. "Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great upper management who take the time to find and mentor entry level employees. Plenty of opportunity to learn and grow from a variety of departments.

Cons

Very little room to grow in the company. Mid-level management leaves a lot to be desired. Job can become very tedious.

6. "Meredith is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every company has its issues, but Meredith has many well handled. Very smart people who work hard but also have work-life balance. The brands are well respected. Management, especially at the top, are visible. Not commonly found in other organizations in our field. Good benefits well beyond the standard.

Cons

I have read other reviews that address the compensation being lower than other companies. It might be, but the work/life balance, is worth it.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open at all levels in communication---we need it in these ever changing times.

7. "Best Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Working on the Digital Marketing Team allows you the opportunity to learn quickly as an intern in a low pressure, high involvement environment. You are treated as an equal member of the team and get to work on projects that actually have an impact on the business; you are genuinely contributing the business. The people that work here are some of the nicest coworkers and have a fairly strong sense of community.

Cons

There has been quite a bit of desk location changes in the past year and a half, which has made finding people in the office slightly difficult.

"Midlevel editor"

Former Employee - Midlevel Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Midlevel Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My supervisors had a good understanding of the importance of a healthy work/life balance. They were also very generous with their praise.

Cons

The company has an intrusive "Wellness Program" that requires specific medical tests and visits before you will be eligible for health insurance. And raises are hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Ditch the Wellness Program. Give raises yearly.

9. "Sales Exec"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Meredith Corporation full-time

Pros

Great magazines, smart staffs. Creative sales ideas

Cons

Too much politics. Sometimes move slow on getting projects done

10. "Meredith Local Media Group- Phoenix"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Meredith Corporation full-time

Pros

Working for Meredith Local Media Group pretty awesome. I currently work in the News Department and, trust me, we are always very busy! Luckily our new members of management understand that family is very important to us. They work with our schedule when a family emergency comes up. Our editing equipment is very quick and reliable. We edit on Avid, which is very easy to use! Computers pretty quick. Our ingest system is very reliable. Our ENG has seen many improvements just recently.
    The company also offers a great Meredith Wellness plan that encourages us to work out and live a healthy lifestyle. Meredith Corp. gives us a yearly allowance of $125.00 to pay for gym membership, nutritional counseling, and personal trainers among others things. When I can, I volunteer at a CPLC and knowing that the company backs me up is really cool! The company encourages employees to give back to the community by having a Volunteer Grant Program and a Matching Gifts Program that goes towards to Non-Profits you volunteer or give to. I am very happy to say CPLC received the Volunteer Grant just last month!

Cons

Maybe upgrade a couple of live trucks.