Meredith Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Meredith Corporation Reviews

Updated March 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Cons

"Never felt like I had job security"

I worked at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was nice to be a part of a large media company. That said, Meredith clearly favors its TV station division as that's the side of the business that brings in the most money. The national magazine group doesn't bring in enough money, and its days feel numbered.

Cons

Money is the bottom line at this company, and everything Meredith does is to benefit their profits and their standing with shareholders. After watching multiple rounds of layoffs of people at the bottom of the chain while most of the upper echelon employees remained, I felt like the company undervalued the people who did a great deal of the work.

2. "Best Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Working on the Digital Marketing Team allows you the opportunity to learn quickly as an intern in a low pressure, high involvement environment. You are treated as an equal member of the team and get to work on projects that actually have an impact on the business; you are genuinely contributing the business. The people that work here are some of the nicest coworkers and have a fairly strong sense of community.

Cons

There has been quite a bit of desk location changes in the past year and a half, which has made finding people in the office slightly difficult.

"Midlevel editor"

Former Employee - Midlevel Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Midlevel Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My supervisors had a good understanding of the importance of a healthy work/life balance. They were also very generous with their praise.

Cons

The company has an intrusive "Wellness Program" that requires specific medical tests and visits before you will be eligible for health insurance. And raises are hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Ditch the Wellness Program. Give raises yearly.

5. "Sales Exec"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Meredith Corporation full-time

Pros

Great magazines, smart staffs. Creative sales ideas

Cons

Too much politics. Sometimes move slow on getting projects done

6. "Meredith Local Media Group- Phoenix"

I have been working at Meredith Corporation full-time

Pros

Working for Meredith Local Media Group pretty awesome. I currently work in the News Department and, trust me, we are always very busy! Luckily our new members of management understand that family is very important to us. They work with our schedule when a family emergency comes up. Our editing equipment is very quick and reliable. We edit on Avid, which is very easy to use! Computers pretty quick. Our ingest system is very reliable. Our ENG has seen many improvements just recently.
    The company also offers a great Meredith Wellness plan that encourages us to work out and live a healthy lifestyle. Meredith Corp. gives us a yearly allowance of $125.00 to pay for gym membership, nutritional counseling, and personal trainers among others things. When I can, I volunteer at a CPLC and knowing that the company backs me up is really cool! The company encourages employees to give back to the community by having a Volunteer Grant Program and a Matching Gifts Program that goes towards to Non-Profits you volunteer or give to. I am very happy to say CPLC received the Volunteer Grant just last month!

Cons

Maybe upgrade a couple of live trucks.

"Horrible company"

Former Employee - TV News Producer
    Former Employee - TV News Producer

I worked at Meredith Corporation full-time

Pros

A paycheck with decent benefits.

Cons

Very low pay. I worked at two Meredith TV stations that were number one in the ratings, but we were paid less than employees at all of our competitors. Because the company pays less, they get lower quality managers, including high up management. This leads to poor communication company-wide and poor working environments.

Advice to Management

Focus on understanding the jobs of the people you manage, and when it comes to news, concentrate on fair coverage. KPTV Fox 12 in Portland, Oregon purposely pushed a far left wing liberal agenda because that's how management wants it to be. This is not good journalism.

"Chicago office was great, but new management ruined it"

Former Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL

I worked at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had a great culture and team in the Chicago office, until NY management came in and laid everyone off in Feb 2015. People were willing to help each other out and were friendly. I enjoyed my time there and learned a lot. Worked on great brands - BHG, Allrecipes, Shape, Fitness, etc., and worked with Fortune 100 clients.

Cons

NY management came in and laid off pretty much the entire office staff in the digital department. Basically ruining a great team. A complete lack of understanding of the sales/client services relationships that were developed in the office, and how it would effect the business going forward for the clients, and Meredith. Probably all to save a buck too, as it got to the point where everyone was performing too well so they replaced everyone with cheaper, less experienced workers. I would not recommend working for this company now after the way I was treated by NY management, as basically disposable. Other cons are no training, and no career path development. Also, make the 401K match effective immediately, not after 1 year. Waiting a year is ridiculous for it to take effect.

Advice to Management

Transition executive management back to Des Moines where they seem to appreciate culture and value employees better. Develop a training program for new hires, and career path for employees.

"Good place"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Treated me like a full time employee. Got a lot of experience. Friendly environment.

Cons

Didn't hire me even though they promised. Women could be a bit emotional and gossipy

Advice to Management

Not much to advice. Kind people. Maybe just leave your problems at the door before entering the office.

10. "Solid company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One gets to perform interesting work that is meaningful and fulfilling for employees and customers.

Cons

Must place more of a focus on accelerating the move into the digital age of media.

Advice to Management

Remain open, agile and supportive of ideas, thoughts and feedback on how to better the workplace and business products.

11. "Magazines"

Pros

I loved magazines, so I loved working at Meredith.

Cons

It was hard to get anything done without "running it up the flag pole" first, which was often a lengthy process.

Advice to Management

Take time to actually manage your employees