Merge Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Justin C. Dearborn

Pros
Cons
  • No work life balance and the culture is limited to your work team and promoted by co workers (in 5 reviews)

• Not sure if eClinical Management team can do something about it (in 3 reviews)

1. "QA Manager with knowledge on Medical, Healthcare & Peoplesoft"

Former Employee - QA Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - QA Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Merge Healthcare (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good company to work and to work on latest technologies

Cons

It is acquired by IBM now

"Horrible cutthroat company. I would rate this company a big fat 0 If I could. Prospective Employee beware!!!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Merge Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None!!! Very ruthless uncaring company and people!

Cons

Merge Healthcare acquired the company was working for (DR SYSTEMS) and the HR person just arrived yesterday and laid off a lot of people almost 25% of the staff.

Don't bother wasting your time with this horrible company.

They acquire companies and then lays off the people. They take the products that the other company develops and then tries to market it as their product and then they market as their product as try to say
    they are best in KLAS the product/products.

Advice to Management

You are very horrible people, you need to try developing your own products and try keeping the talented people from the companies you buy instead of taking credit for other companies and people's talent.

3. "I've been with Merge for over 2 years now and have been very pleased with my experience."

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Merge Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We've got a great leadership team that has a visionary perspective on where Healthcare is heading in the future, putting us ahead of the market.

Cons

Some of our internal processes can be a bit counterproducitve; however, our teams are always willing to listen to potential changes if an employee is willing to bring something to the table.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your employees... As our organizaiton continues to grow, we need everyone to take on leadership roles with our clients, solutions and internal processes.

5. "Great opportunities exist for great talent"

Former Employee - Manager of Billing and Collections in Hartland, WI
    Former Employee - Manager of Billing and Collections in Hartland, WI

I worked at Merge Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning opportunity in a dynamic environment. Lots of visibility when you do things right and help the business turn the corner during a difficult moment.

Cons

Due to numerous acquisitions, there are many different parallel process to arrive a common output for the various product lines requires large amounts of non-value added work for the individual contributors and middle management. Progress to streamline processes and improve internal IT solutions is slow due to lack of funds and foresight. This is resulting in slowly declining morale in what is otherwise a great environment.

Advice to Management

Invest in some much needed software for your teams. Also, set the bar higher for hiring at the individual contributor and middle manager level, and compensate them with higher salary. The increase you get in productivity will more than offset the nominal annual cost.

6. "Growing each day..."

Current Employee - Confidential in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Confidential in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Merge Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been promoted twice since I started with the company 2 years ago! Once I gained the product knowledge, I was able to open more doors to create my ideal career path.
    Open door policy and flat organization
    Majority of employees come from large scale Healthcare IT backgrounds and add value fast once joining the company - able to share ideas and best practices, which is very helpful!

Cons

The PTO policy is slightly low compared to other software/IT companies

Advice to Management

Add more PTO to the benefit plan OR add a volunteer day that does not count against PTO. Another option would be to add a floating holiday since the majority of employees leave early around holiday weekends anyway.

"Best Decision I Made!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great interactive culture
    Open door and collaborative team environment
    I have the opportunity to share ideas and add value to my team on a daily basis
    Many of the employees come from the HIT industry – great resources and/or references when you have a question about a product/solution or industry

Cons

PTO policy is below average/average compared to other HIT companies

Advice to Management

Increase the PTO policy or increase the paid holidays

"Project Manager"

Pros

Strong Management team all the way around. Lots of opportunity to learn new things and there is an Excellent bonus structure.

Cons

No work life balance and the culture is limited to your work team and promoted by co workers. Lots of unnecessary stress.

9. "Good & Getting better!"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Merge Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting company on the forefront of the industry.

Cons

The culture is limited to your work team & promoted by co-workers. Management does not really drive the culture.

10. "eClinicalOS is a good division but in transition"

I have been working at Merge Healthcare full-time

Pros

The benefits package is overall pretty good. The healthcare package is especially great. The teams that I work with are also extremely helpful. Management has appeared to be open to new ideas and technologies.

Cons

During this time of transition to IBM we have heard mixed things. Some of the promises initially made are not being upheld and as time goes on the actual information we are getting isn't quite as rosy as initially put to us.

Advice to Management

Make sure to continue to experiment with new technologies. It's also very important to listen to employees concerns with regards to the projects they are currently working on. I'd also recommend doing a better job at either not making promises or keeping the ones that are made...

"Anonymous Employee"

I have been working at Merge Healthcare full-time

Pros

Merge is a nice place to work. For sure is not the best one, but will definitely teach you a lot about team work, collaboration and core values. Opportunities exists, but like in any other place, you have to have some patience and doors will open.

Cons

Too much sales and revenue orientated. There should be more focus on productivity and profitability. Also, a little more focus on their employees needs and career would not be bad at all.

Advice to Management

Listen and take care of your people. They are the ones that keep the company alive.