Meridian Health Plan Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
David B. Cotton, MD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Bagel Fridays, nice benefit and PTO package, good culture" (in 49 reviews)

• "First off it is located in downtown Detroit which is up and coming" (in 20 reviews)

Cons

"Wonderful! From a current Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Education and training. Yeah, they have bagel Fridays, events, and other great perks like wearing jeans! I'm shocked by the negative reviews, as an older person (being in my 30s) the aspect I appreciate the most, is their willingness to train and develop anyone as long as you are willing. When I graduated college years ago, I never had a job that was literally only 8 hours, the normal was 10 hour days, and I never worked at a company that invested their money to have departments dedicated to employee culture, like Meridian does. They encourage work-life balance, and value everyone's time. I have experienced great communication, because I communicate in a professional manner. You get what you give. This company is willing to invest in their employees and there is a lot to be said for that.

Cons

Traffic can be unpredictable, but that is nothing Meridian can control!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. "Okay place to work"

Former Employee - Member Benefit Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Member Benefit Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I worked at Meridian Health Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my coworkers.

Cons

No one seems to enjoy their job. Things were promised in the interview and they don't follow up.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

"Great atmosphere, interesting work!"

Current Employee - Behavioral Health Care Coordinator in Ferndale, MI
    Current Employee - Behavioral Health Care Coordinator in Ferndale, MI

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome! Feel fully supported in my role. The training is extensive, no one is pressuring me to go live before I am ready. Great building, facilities, working downtown is awesome! Pay is good, technology is extensive and really well done! Nice cubes with desks that go up and down, everyone has 2 computer monitors! Very well equipped kitchens.

Cons

Short lunch! 1/2 hr goes by fast, but I do like leaving at 430! The parking situation is just “eh.” I have to park at the joe and take the people mover around, but they promise to upgrade parking as it becomes available.

Advice to Management

Perhaps have the people who are actually DOING the jobs help make procedural suggestions. Support the staff that need to do continuing education by allowing time off to go to seminars. Assist with paying for seminars required by state licensing!

4. "Inpatient Review Nurse"

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time

Pros

Great company, culture, team and perks

Cons

Benefits are good but a little pricey

5. "I've had a mostly positive experience."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very encouraging to let employees move around the company. They hold company wide 'tailgate' parties where employees are encouraged to talk to other departments for job opportunities. They provide bagels every Friday. They have many activities/leagues for employees such as golf, softball, and bowling. They also own a large farm where employees can volunteer to work and still get paid.

Cons

There's an 'old guard' of IT employees that continue to push older technology. There appears to be a lot of nepotism and cronyism.

Advice to Management

Pick modern technologies.

6. "A great place to work at"

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for career development

Cons

The commute can be exhausting

"Terrible Leadership/Terrible Pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Meridian Health Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for straight out of college to gain experience but don't believe the lie that they promote within/have growth in the company. Health benefits aren't too bad though.

Cons

Where do I start? If you don't know anyone then don't expect to be promoted. Doesn't matter how hard you work or if the quality of your work is great, it's all about who is besties with who. Also, don't expect the get the money you deserve/industry standard. They severely take advantage of entry level employees eager to start working and underpaying due to that alone. Leaders will make you feel like you are providing useful information/decent work but do nothing with what you provide. If you like the "come to work, do the same work, go home" attitude this is the right place for you!

Advice to Management

Grow up and learn how to run a company besides hiring attractive robots without brains

"Take Heed"

Former Employee - Peasant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Peasant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Meridian Health Plan full-time

Pros

Well, it was nice already being downtown for events you want to attend like sports or concerts. Also, the people you work with will end up like family... nothing like sharing a common disdain for something to bring people together. Company picnic is pretty awesome.

Cons

Much of what you are told will be a lie. Advancement opportunities, great work place, engagement with the company, raises, bonuses, and much much more will never come to fruition unless you're willing to "play the game" (game= catty politics or being an attractive young woman...or both).

Much leadership is beyond inept and couldn't lead their way out of their own house. If something makes sense, then leadership/the company will pretty much do the opposite. Daily, you will find yourself wondering what the hell is going on. After all the time I was there, I found myself saying "no way they will do that, it makes no sense" and then I checked myself. "Of course they will, because it makes no sense!" The good leaders and team members (or family members, as they will call you) will leave sooner than later whether forced or just can't take it anymore. "Family members", HA! If I treated my friends and family like the company treats some employees, I'd be a lonely person.

Favoritism is the only way any (besides good looks) that anyone advances in the company. Routinely, good veteran people are ignored and passed up for promotions or transfers for people who are newer, prettier, and in better with the person that the position is under. Hard work and intelligence does not spell success here. Those attributes simply set the stage for stagnation, additional work and responsibility, and soul-sucking disdain for life.

Perhaps there are some good places in this company to work for, but it sure seems like there is more bad than good. They keep taking away benefits of working here and adding more bad attributes. Parking downtown costs money and traffic is abundant. Medical benefits get worse yearly; I would go as far as to say they are terrible beginning this year.

Company values make sense and are great. Unfortunately, they're not followed by the company but are expected to be followed by everyone. They serve only as a generic way to weed out people that "leaders" don't like.

If you like mandatory overtime, being micromanaged, limited growth opportunities, no leadership, "anonymous" surveys that are less than anonymous and are absolutely held against you, being told your family is less important than your "work family", parking in Canada, and nonsensical decisions (amongst much more "fun")...then Meridian is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Listen; TRULY listen to your people. Bring back the perks that the company once had (Mix & Mingles, Christmas party, more giveaways, rewards for hard work, little morale parties and lunches, etc) and find more ways to make everyone feel like their hard work is worth it. Be transparent, stop lying to people. Revisit benefits; they're terrible. Start promoting based on merit to deserving people. Hire people that fit the culture and position and stop hiring prettiest, friends, or warm bodies. Perhaps implement a peer interview system to take into account the fit of the person and perhaps this will help with favoritism and non-qualified people. Pay bonuses and raises to people that deserve them and not some stupid, non-straightforward non-universal formula. This company needs to revisit it's roots before it grew bigger than it could handle. It was great to work here a few years ago. You, Management; have lost touch with your people, your values, and all that made this a great up-in-coming place to work.

"Awful"

Current Employee - Customer Experience
    Current Employee - Customer Experience

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There aren’t really any pros anymore.

Cons

They lie to you about growth opportunities. They make you believe like you’re good enough to move up but that’s just not true. Unless you’re friends with the right people clearly.

Advice to Management

Promote people who are worth promoting

"Poor internal culture"

Pros

free food , drinks , arcade games, nice office

Cons

They lacked leadership. Nepotism, bad internal culture ,Favoritism .

Advice to Management

They have a tendency to fire management every couple of months.They throw hard working people under the bus to make themselves look useful. Have a bad judgment and eye for talent. Nepotism and Favoritism huge in this company .