Meridian Health Plan Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David B. Cotton, MD

Pros
  • Arcade games, free snacks, bagel Fridays (in 40 reviews)

• Great location in heart of downtown Detroit (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • I think it's part of the unhealthy work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Zero communication from direct management and upper management (in 14 reviews)

"QA ANALYST"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at Meridian Health Plan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great setting and worked with some talented developers

Cons

There were huge communication gaps with management

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees, their skills and mindset

2. "Good luck"

Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a decent entry-level job for recent college graduates who want to learn more about the health care system.

Cons

1. Workforce Management has created such an unhealthy work environment - physically and mentally for all Care Coordinators. Care Coordinators already had no autonomy with their job before, and now every second of your day is managed for you. You are scored by how many seconds you are at your desk and working, meaning that you are penalized for going to the bathroom or getting water. Care Coordinators will often have 2-hour long calls with members who are uncontrollable over the phone. It does not matter if you need a mental break and decompress after difficult calls; your scores will go down if you step away.

2. Upper leadership is not trustworthy and does not follow the protocol or standards that Care Coordinators are held accountable to. Punishments are handed out against the regulations that Care Coordinators sign upon hire.

3. Care Coordinators are evaluated by every key stroke. Production is reviewed daily and audits happen randomly and regularly. However, Care Coordinators can never get a clear answer to specific process questions that affect the production and audits that grade our work.

4. Care Coordinators are kept in the dark until the very last minute about major changes or announcements that affect our members. We are the ones on the phone speaking to the members and providers - not leadership. We are the ones that are cussed out and thrown into difficult conversations.

Advice to Management

Care Coordination Directors need to be present and responsive to Care Coordinators. Show yourself and be approachable. Questions, especially about WFM, even after months, have still not been answered. You push your Care Coordinators to live by the family values every day, but we do not see them in our upper leadership. Good luck keeping your Care Coordinators. I'm out ASAP.

3. "MeridianRX"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Growth opportunities, learn multiple things because you are heavily involved

Cons

If you are going to be a pharmacy specialist/technician please re evaluate. The three leadership do not have any college degrees and one is 21 years old that said "she hates education". I would not recommend this job. You come in and everyone looked miserable, it's because they are overworked, micromanaged, drama is constant and people are always gossiping. The senior manager attitude is negative and he always is complaining instead of being proactive. The female team lead does not help her team and instead is more concerned with who she dates within mrx and is constantly preoccupied with trying to gain liking from leadership. The other manager which is the queue monitor is very very into micromanaging. Please turn down any meridian Rx offer and go to health plan

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and be a force of action and choose positivity

"CCSS"

Former Employee - CCSS in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - CCSS in Chicago, IL

I worked at Meridian Health Plan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and very friendly staff

Cons

Disorganized when it came to projects

"Care Coordinator"

Former Employee - Care Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Care Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I worked at Meridian Health Plan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back clothing attire, free drink passes all year round, bagel Friday's, decent benefits, younger employees, clean environment, Keurig machines

Cons

Almost everything. I can't agree more with the other reviews. Management is terrible and if they don't like you, the passive aggressiveness will never stop. It's high school all over again. Gossip never ends. If you file a complaint with HR or your management, expect nothing to be done about it. If it doesn't affect them directly, they don't care. Executives say they preach "family values" but when you talk to enough people about what they do after hours, you will very much beg to differ. Your personal life is everyone's business. It's best to come to work and keep your mouth shut and be anti-social. Meridian promises so much but doesn't follow through with any of it. Stay away and find a company that cares.

Advice to Management

Advice? Actually have people in management that are qualified and realistic. And maybe people with brains who will respond to an email with more than a ":)" or "ok!"

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They try really hard to make the culture work especially with all of the activities. Work/Life Balance is great. I rarely work a full 40 hours a week.

Cons

Communication needs to be better. Most of the time I'm not sure what I'm working on or why. The bonus structure is confusing and seems discretionary.

Advice to Management

Trumpcare is coming. I wouldn't be surprised to see all of the recent growth slip away

8. "HUZZAH!!!"

Current Employee - Member Benefit Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Member Benefit Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's better than not having a job? But not really. Seriously, avoid this place unless there is literally NO other job to apply for on this entire planet.

Cons

There really isn't a point to writing all of the things wrong with this mess of a company, nothing will change and people will still continue to apply and deal with this truly, truly awful place. Extremely high turnover rate, TOXIC environment. Read all of the other negative reviews, they are certainly true! And as to the good reviews, I'd bet they're written by current employees that have never had a good job that actually treats them well.

Advice to Management

No hope, advice even while working there was overlooked and ignored.

"Community Care Coordinator"

Current Employee - Community Care Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Community Care Coordinator in Chicago, IL

Pros

Team Leads are passionate about helping the team, advocating and caring for members. Co-workers are great! Pay is decent but not worth it.

Cons

Very long work week 55 to 60 hours, no lunch break and although you're salary you are to clock in and out so management is well aware of the long days and lack of breaks. "If you do good you will do well" Well it is clear why Meridian is not doing well. Extremely high turnover rate. Been here 1 year, since my team has had 6 people quit one of them was a dedicated manager. That's only my team, the number of people who have left is hard to count. No transparency! You have production expectations not quality based but quantity based, no sick time and no personal days. Sick? Use your vacation!

Advice to Management

I was so enthusiastic and happy to start at Meridian (Chicago) worst mistake ever. I have never felt so disappointed in an organization I have worked for. Management has absolutely no respect for the face of Meridian, the workers who go see members and who in fact go above and beyond to help. My advice? Just go away, the human service community is small word gets around and you will have no good staff that will want to work for you.

"Do Not work here"

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, steady hours, good coworkers (most of the time)

Cons

Young and inexperienced management.
    Culture that is more of a fraternity atmosphere than a professional work place. You must party and drink to fit in.
    Hard work is not recognized as much as just being young and likeable.
    No sick time! A health plan should be promoting employees to stay healthy. You must take PTO for any sick days and you're are peanalized if you have too many "unexcused absences" which I have not experienced since high school.
    Salaried employees are often forced to work more than 40 hours with no extra flex time. If you are late for work because of weather or other things out of your control, you still have to take PTO even if you are salaried.
    No job security. People are often fired to make an example out of or send a message. You will be fired for asking too many questions or if management does not like you.

Advice to Management

Stop being cowardly and uncaring toward your employees who are often people who work hard in a thankless job.

"A cesspool of poor management"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meridian Health Plan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Arcade games, free snacks, bagel Fridays

Cons

Get hired on the basis of certain skills, work requires skills you don't have. 60 hour work weeks. Use of antiquated front-end technology PROGRESS. Don't go outside! The hookers, panhandlers, and homeless are swarming! Sometimes they get in the lobby.

Advice to Management

Just open your eyes and look around.