Merion Matters Reviews | Glassdoor

1.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ann Kielinski

Pros
Cons
  • Not paid on time since August of 2016 (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management needs to be more progressive; the management style is very 1980 (in 10 reviews)

"Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, liberal work life balance

Cons

Lack of ability to conquer the competition of the internet

Advice to Management

Keep trying!

"Demise not a Surprise"

Former Employee - Management in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Management in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At the time of hire....compensation....in hindsight, not worth the aggravation.

Cons

Paranoid and untrusting senior management; shortsighted strategy, afraid of change and new ideas--"smartest people in the room" mentality.

Advice to Management

Their closing is no surprise; what is a surprise is that it took so long. This organization, or lack there of, is proof of the Peter Principle. The owners had many good and talented people on staff but chose to be influenced by those in their "inner circle". The focus to be many things to many professions opened them up to be lousy at everything. Their constant cutting of quality was the first sign of the downward spiral. The incessant babble about the entry in the healthcare shop and custom promotions long after that market had dried up was probably one of the biggest mistakes.

In the future, if you ever have one, respect your employees, value their creativity and out of the box thinking and don't be greedy.

"Please Do Not Accept Interview Requests"

Current Employee - Editorial in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Editorial in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

Flex time is indeed a perk. My fellow staff is highly underrated and would be considered pros in another environment.

Cons

The rest. All the reviews are true: the company is several payroll dates behind, anywhere from 2-3 whole checks as the dates are constantly "projected" and "revised" because there are no funds available with which to pay us. The stories about the health insurance issues and 401k are prevalent among staff and the implications are criminal, as if the wage and hour violations weren't enough. Other stories of vendors not being paid and ads being sold to magazines that never print are common. The DOL is apparently in contact with the company and current word is that subpoenas from the IRS and other labor are imminent. While one cannot know the state of the company's finances currently, if you don't pay your people, or at least attempt to proffer something in the way of explanation, you've lost the chance to revive the situation.

Advice to Management

Be transparent. Maybe there's something worth salvaging. But you've forfeited all rights to continue the charade by not paying your people. Day's work for a day's pay, right?

"GREAT NEWS! THEY'VE CLOSED!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is shutting down due to non-payment of employees/ vendors, and unlawful disposition of employee benefit contributions. Currently under investigation by the Dept. of Labor, the IRS and the State Treasury.

Cons

Going to miss all of my coworkers they are the only redeeming factor. If you ever interview someone from Merion Matters seriously consider them because aside from the owners everyone is a pleasure to work with and hardworking. It's a shame that bad things happen to good people but everyone who is being laid off will soon bounce back. Seriously, hire former Merion employees, they're great.

Advice to Management

Lawyer up and enjoy the ride, fellas. Gonna be a bad couple of years coming up. That's what happens when you rob Peter to pay Paul.

"Fantastic coworkers, terrible company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with directly are genuinely great. I loved my staff, and I hated to leave them with more work. There aren't really any pros about the company itself.

Cons

Not paid on time since August of 2016. Currently facing dire financial issues. You never really know what's going on until it's too late because HR/owners leave employees in the dark. No timely reimbursement. Certain rules and procedures are very vague.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as people. It's that simple. Stop taking money from them. Stop buying things (aka new building when it would've been cheaper to make sure everyone had the software and worked from home) and hiring people when you can't afford to pay the people you have.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only "pro" I can offer is that there are so many people willing to warn others about how bad this place is by taking time to write honest Glassdoor reviews. Please believe them - I wish I had...

Cons

The owner of this company is truly not mentally well. I've never seen or experienced such an abusive personality in a professional situation. Ever. And with that being the case, I can hardly believe they are still in business. Just shows that there is a need for the services they provide and customers are either desperate or clueless to what goes on behind the scenes. I had never heard of Glassdoor before working here. At first I figured the negative reviews were just disgruntled employees or former employees. But I was so wrong. It's sad that an abusive owner can still be in business. I think it's due to employees not understanding that they could do so much better for themselves. And the fact that they keep hiring people who don't know what they are getting themselves into. I waited a while before posting but I just had to do it because if I can help someone from making a big mistake I will feel a little bit better about the terrible experience I had.

Advice to Management

No point in offering any.

"Horrible! Do Not Interview"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none at all it was a job that is all, i dont work for free

Cons

I absolutely had to quit working for this company as I have been paid since before Christmas Holidays and now have severe financial crisis on my hands. Luckily, after filing complaint with Department of Labor, I found a temporary job to get some cash flow back in my hands to help pay some of my credit obligations, even though my credit rating has now been tarnished. I have heard of others getting together with a attorney to get help.

This company is in very sad shape. People leaving, quitting, laid off, etc. Seems only the owners are getting paid. I do not understand how the government is still allowing them to operate in this capacity.

There is one thing you must do right when operating a business and that is pay your employees correctly and on time. Otherwise you are messing with their livelihood. Very bad.

Advice to Management

fire yourself now

"Turn back now"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your coworkers... that is it.

Cons

They do not pay their employees on time.

Advice to Management

Care about the people you hired and not just yourselves and your bank accounts

"Run Far Away! I am as of tomorrow!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

close commute, some flex time

Cons

Oh where do I start? Unfortunately I have been here too long and tomorrow walking out due to the companies financial problems, lies after lies about payroll checks. I will no longer work and not get paid on time. Some employees have been lucky to receive their paper payroll check only to find out there is no funds to honor checks. I do not expect my checks if I ever get the ones I am way over due to cash at there bank as well. The HR department tries to be helpful, but they just part of cover up too. If your thinking to interview here, I would suggest you look elsewhere, as other reviews here on this site and other sites are true. I am surprised the state labor department is allowing them to continue to operate. I have filed a complaint and will be filing unemployment claim tomorrow after walking out, thats if they even paid unemployment insurance

Advice to Management

quit now.

"warehouse"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They are very much polite.

Cons

They have not paid their employees in 4 weeks. They don't tell them about their pay until the day of.

Advice to Management

Tell the owners to close the doors its pitiful