Merion Matters Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.8
Ann Kielinski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flex time lets me leave early to go interview for a new job" (in 27 reviews)

• "Great pay, liberal work life balance" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not being paid on time ( 2-3 pay periods late) so you can imagine that your bills aren't going to be paid on time" (in 6 reviews)

• "let health insurance lapse and not tell employees" (in 5 reviews)

"Looking Forward, Not Back"

Current Employee - Pennsylvania in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Pennsylvania in King of Prussia, PA

Pros

I am a current employee with more than 20 years of tenure here. Like all publishers, Merion has faced rough waters in recent years. Today we are a much leaner operation, but we are also very talented and determined. Yes, we faced some payroll issues in fall 2015 due. These have stabilized and now well into February 2016 we have set new records in our commercial division and just last week closed our annual education guide with higher revenue than the prior year. Our national Nurse publication exceeds sales goals month after month. We have many exciting things going on here. If you are a prospective employee, I urge you to talk with current employees rather than rely only on reviews written by people who no longer work here. Current employees know what is going on today. We are happy to share our perspective with you during the interview process. We invite your questions, so that we can clear up misperceptions.

Cons

Content management system could use updating; Loss of experienced employees has had impacts; Conference travel has been reduced

Advice to Management

Continue to develop the new young talent that has been hired over the past 6 months; Keep looking forward ...

2. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Illustrator
    Former Employee - Illustrator

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Merion (Advance) always strives to put both its employees and its consumers at the top. This company is a tribute to the American Dream, and the fact that it grew so fast is a testament to its founders and managers, and of course all the workers and employees I had the honor and pleasure of working with for nearly a decade and a half.
    I'm sure any changes made since I left a few years back were made for the benefit of all the employees, since the place always was a family atmosphere, and the love, care, and attention given by Ann and Woody thruout the decades of its peak, to their employees, and the people they all serve in the medical community still exist, and will always be appreciated. It's this attitude that will sustain them into the coming years, and insure continued success for them in the future.

Cons

Not many I can name. Prospective employees will always have to make their own decisions, but, as I said, I was always treated well, and always respected the opinion and direction of most of the decisions that were made.

Advice to Management

I left a few years back, and I had the luxury and advantage of success in other related fields, before my time at Merion, and after, so I just would suggest the continued approach of specialty sales and services, and an effort at slowly, but more strongly pursuing the research and academic avenues of the market.

3. "Sales"

I worked at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

40 hr work week was nice

Cons

Terrible leadership, really bad morale

4. "Marketing Coordinator"

I worked at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

Worked with an amazing group in the Marketing department

Cons

The owners didn't understand marketing

5. "Stay AWAY any positive reviews are fake"

Former Employee - Marketing in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Zero, Beware as any promises of income are lies

Cons

Stole from advertisers and customers by not delivering products bought, did not mail magazines. Did not pay salaries on time, healthcare and 401k contributions, commissions, rent, vendors. Is in litigation and multiple lawsuits.

Closed operations in Feb kicked out all employees other than handful, thus any positive reviews over at least last year are fake

Advice to Management

Stay closed

Merion Matters Response

Sep 22, 2017 – Corporate Communications Director

Merion Matters is closed. The company has not been recruiting or hiring employees since February of 2017. This is verifiable through the DOL. All outstanding wage concerns are resolved. This is... More

6. "The absolute worst employer. Ever."

Pros

I was laid off not a minute too soon. The worst experience in my entire career. Crazy. Just crazy. Never had a met such insecure people in my entire life.

Cons

I accepted the position. I often did wish I had never agreed to the interview and accepted the position. I truly believe in kharma.

Advice to Management

Never go into business again. Ever.

7. "Sales"

I worked at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule offered for most departments.

Cons

Not enough time in the day to call all contacts

"Still Posting?"

I worked at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

Why is this site still up Glassdoor? The company is closed permanently...tired of getting review notifications for a company who is no longer hiring. The company was a great experience for me and I took that knowledge to move on.

Cons

Needed more parking spaces for employees close to the building.

"A series of poor decision making"

I worked at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

For many years, a great set of people across the departments.

Cons

Poor direction and choices from the top, only looking for "yes" managers. Then some shady business at the end.

10. "Wasted Time"

I worked at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

There were none. It just got worse and worse as time went on.

Cons

Everything. All of the benefits declined in quantity and quality and the pay rate was never comensurate.