Merion Matters Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ann Kielinski

Pros
  • Flex time lets me leave early to go interview for a new job (in 27 reviews)

• Seniority can allow you to work from home (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Not paid on time since August of 2016 (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management needs to be more progressive; the management style is very 1980 (in 10 reviews)

"A series of poor decision making"

I worked at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

For many years, a great set of people across the departments.

Cons

Poor direction and choices from the top, only looking for "yes" managers. Then some shady business at the end.

"Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, liberal work life balance

Cons

Lack of ability to conquer the competition of the internet

Advice to Management

Keep trying!

3. "Demise not a Surprise"

Former Employee - Management in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Management in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At the time of hire....compensation....in hindsight, not worth the aggravation.

Cons

Paranoid and untrusting senior management; shortsighted strategy, afraid of change and new ideas--"smartest people in the room" mentality.

Advice to Management

Their closing is no surprise; what is a surprise is that it took so long. This organization, or lack there of, is proof of the Peter Principle. The owners had many good and talented people on staff but chose to be influenced by those in their "inner circle". The focus to be many things to many professions opened them up to be lousy at everything. Their constant cutting of quality was the first sign of the downward spiral. The incessant babble about the entry in the healthcare shop and custom promotions long after that market had dried up was probably one of the biggest mistakes.

In the future, if you ever have one, respect your employees, value their creativity and out of the box thinking and don't be greedy.

"Shady"

I worked at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

The company is closed. Nice coworkers, awful owners.

Cons

Every day was filled with another nightmare. Paychecks never stable and at times not paid for a month. Emailed the night before saying company closing the next day.. talk about short notice! Horrible work environment which was due to the owners.

"Please Do Not Accept Interview Requests"

Current Employee - Editorial in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Editorial in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

Flex time is indeed a perk. My fellow staff is highly underrated and would be considered pros in another environment.

Cons

The rest. All the reviews are true: the company is several payroll dates behind, anywhere from 2-3 whole checks as the dates are constantly "projected" and "revised" because there are no funds available with which to pay us. The stories about the health insurance issues and 401k are prevalent among staff and the implications are criminal, as if the wage and hour violations weren't enough. Other stories of vendors not being paid and ads being sold to magazines that never print are common. The DOL is apparently in contact with the company and current word is that subpoenas from the IRS and other labor are imminent. While one cannot know the state of the company's finances currently, if you don't pay your people, or at least attempt to proffer something in the way of explanation, you've lost the chance to revive the situation.

Advice to Management

Be transparent. Maybe there's something worth salvaging. But you've forfeited all rights to continue the charade by not paying your people. Day's work for a day's pay, right?

"GREAT NEWS! THEY'VE CLOSED!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Merion Matters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is shutting down due to non-payment of employees/ vendors, and unlawful disposition of employee benefit contributions. Currently under investigation by the Dept. of Labor, the IRS and the State Treasury.

Cons

Going to miss all of my coworkers they are the only redeeming factor. If you ever interview someone from Merion Matters seriously consider them because aside from the owners everyone is a pleasure to work with and hardworking. It's a shame that bad things happen to good people but everyone who is being laid off will soon bounce back. Seriously, hire former Merion employees, they're great.

Advice to Management

Lawyer up and enjoy the ride, fellas. Gonna be a bad couple of years coming up. That's what happens when you rob Peter to pay Paul.

"Horrible Upper Management! Worst company I've ever even heard of"

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are great people. I've met some amazing friends working here.

Cons

The company is going under. The owners constantly lie and cheat their employees. Taking our healthcare insurance our of our pay but not paying the healthcare provider. Taking our 401k contributions and not sending them to KT administrators. Taking money for print ads from clients but never running the ads or printing the magazines. Taking orders and pay for custom promotions and shop items but never sending the items to the customers. Not paying their employees for months. I have not been paid in a month and now they are only giving ALL employees minimum wage for the foreseeable future because they do not have the funds to pay their employees. Treat their employees poorly and constantly blame them for the company not having money. The pay situation has been going on for about a year and there is still zero positive reinforcement from the company. DO NOT get involved with these people. You've been warned.

Advice to Management

Shut down. It's gone too far. There is no bouncing back from this.

"The Ship has Sunk - Do not Apply"

I have been working at Merion Matters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They used to be: flex time, great coworkers and casual work environment. None of that is worth it now.

Cons

The owners of Merion Matters have absolutely no idea what they are doing. The CEO is always MIA, yet will send out long, rude and demanding emails blaming everything on the employees. The general manager is an obnoxious bully who has no clue how to run a business. And to top it all off, the VP also has no idea what they're doing. HR is shady at best -- always avoiding your emails and dodging questions about what's going on. Everything about the payroll, healthcare and 401k is true. There are lawsuits coming and the DoL has been investigating for some time now. The company is is on its death bed. The worst part is that we haven't been paid for an entire month yet they keep demanding we work harder than ever, which clearly is not going to happen. The employees have been complacent in the past, but that is no longer acceptable to us. Expect to see this horrible company closed down before the end of the month. The owners of MM care only for themselves and their assets (which they apparently refuse to sell) and they don't give a single thought about how severely this has impacted employees. My physical, mental and emotional health can't take working for these people any longer. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Advice to Management

Please stop punishing the employees for your utter failures. Give up and go home. Let us move on.

"It Just Keeps Getting Worse"

I worked at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

Great people. Flexible hours. Used to be a good work environment.

Cons

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results! Not paid anywhere near on-time. Company contributions not made to healthcare or 401K. Employees not reimbursed for owed contributions. No compassion or honesty from HR or ownership.

Advice to Management

Pull the plug and put everyone out of their misery.

"It's not working anymore"

I worked at Merion Matters full-time

Pros

Flex time lets me leave early to go interview for a new job

Cons

Read the reviews.....
    -stopped contributing to 401k but still took paycheck deductions
    -let health insurance lapse and not tell employees
    -effectively 2 whole pay periods behind. people havent been paid since first week of Jan
    -when they do pay workers its on priority, so some departments get a check 2 weeks before others
    -moved to a worse office building that loses power once a week and internet connection once a day
    -HR and owners dangle paychecks as the only reason to come into work
    -lying to customers about product lines
    -the list goes on

Advice to Management

Sell your extra houses. Pay your employees. Close the doors for good.