Meritor Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Meritor President & CEO Jay Craig
Jay Craig

Pros
  • Work/life balance is good in some departments but poor in other areass (in 9 reviews)

• Very active position and tons of opportunity to learn with a great group of people to learn from (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management to listen to the people on the floor (in 6 reviews)

• Revolving door management team, bringing their own people in to replace current employees (in 4 reviews)

"Favoritism at it's best. Certain upper management individuals look for reasons to blame."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at Meritor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Real stuff, you'll be good at the job(but will come at the cost of hair loss and hypertension)
    Money was good but you can make $20K more at GM or Ford.

Cons

Sure, you'll be great at the job but you will not be recognized.
    -Blame games are super strong at this place.
    -If you are a pretty lookin' lady, you've all of a sudden got so much over the guys.
    -Few individuals are definitely on a power trip and want to use their newly acquired position/status to make peoples' lives miserable.
    Furthermore,
    -Your work will not be appreciated, if you found savings opportunities, you wont get pat on the back but rather a more ridiculous and unrealistic savings target.
    -The company believed in 2.5% YOY savings target, which is just an unrealistic target to achieve.
    -Lack of communication between department probably just like any other place.
    -Upper management always ends up being the savior/hero, Buyers who bust the butts will not get squat.
    -There are also groups of bullies that will treat college kids like absolute crap.
    Purchasing sucks everywhere but this place is just the worst. Absolute nightmare.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism, hiring just "hot" girls. Moreover, appreciate your employees.
    College kids come to learn there, not so you guys can intimidate and make them cry. They are just starting up, stop acting like a bunch of hypocrites. You also have children or will some day. Disciplining children vs. bullying; BIG DIFFERENCE!

2. "A mistake"

Current Employee - Warehouse in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Florence, KY

I have been working at Meritor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

optional overtime
    vacation 3 weeks
    They won't fire you unless you don't show up.
    If you need immediate employment here you go.
    Small end of the year bonus.

Cons

11.50 Starting pay after going through a temp service. First raise will at most be 0.52$, but the way the raises work, on average you will only get a 0.39$ for the first year.

Benefits are nothing special and to some not really enough.

The environment of the entire place is really depressing. My coworker is going to a therapist and is being told to quit.

No where to move up. Every position that opens up is already filled with someone that they have in mind.

Point system works against you, you will be put up on a step, and then you are stuck.

Even though it is a voluntary based overtime system, they will make it mandatory with little notice. Any time they are worried stuff won't go out the door the building manager will be there to pressure everyone into working.

The work is separated into three departments. Receiving, Packaging, and Shipping. If you get Shipping(Cops) you just as well quit. I moved from packaging to shipping and now I just hate my life. Drivers make the same pay as everyone else and you will have to lift product in unsafe manners. Things that are way too heavy.

Then there is the employees that have been there for years. They are the laziest, least safe, bad influence, etc etc.... From the top rack with a reach truck they will drop things and act like it never happen and the worst part is still ship product or put it back for someone else to ship so it is their name.

Leads don't do anything, there is nothing really making you work. Other drivers sit in isles and talk blocking you. I've had three employees yell at me, loud enough for about 20 people to take notice, and the most that anyone has ever gotten was a slap on the wrist.

I've seen people deal drugs here. One of them used a bag inside and sealed pills that he had gotten from another employee. Good portion of the drivers deal drugs.

HR will changes rules, safety changes rules, and your leads will change rules. Your job will not be the same job at any given moment.

Safety is a joke. The only time anyone cares about it is when someone gets hurt, and not because someone got hurt. But because safety of the entire building effects everyone's bonus check. Parts that were too heavy were put in a location way too high. The cage holding them opens and a part hits a lady in the back. Someone cut there finger pretty bad on a part and during a little safety meeting all I hear is dammit my bonus check. It is too the point where senior employees will recommend to new hires not to report injuries. And if you do report injuries you will be fired.

Drug test are actually pretty stupid around here. Because I've seen a manager let some employees not go after a incident when they were supposed to. I've dropped on three different occasions a brake shoe. Something that Meritor buys for like 8$ a piece. As a reach truck driver I can't see some of the things that a picker does until it is too late, but you are taught that it is your fault, and other people will have told you not to say anything and to just ship it, even with a crack.

Every day is getting harder and harder for me to wake up and go into work. I am sore from lifting +80lbs off the floor, I am depressed from hearing everyone hate their job, I feel no one notices how hard I work when others stand and talk. I have waited at my job hoping things would get better, and it has been a slippery slop in the other direction.

I honestly hope that I can stop anyone from working here, I have been honest, and I don't believe that anyone deserves to be treated in this manner.

Advice to Management

Do your job, rate your employees, stop with the crap pay. Not going to get good workers if you don't pay them enough.

3. "Not good"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Maxton, NC
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Maxton, NC

I worked at Meritor as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have never worked in Industry a good place to get some experience , If you are experienced not a good place

Cons

Non communicative , change direction literally every hour, job description totally not what was stated, they go though contractors like water

Advice to Management

Focus and treat people as you want to be treated

5. "Biased Management and HR"

Former Contractor - Assembly Technician in Fletcher, NC
    Former Contractor - Assembly Technician in Fletcher, NC

I worked at Meritor as a contractor

Pros

A steady job if you want to be a contract employee forever there.

Cons

Asinine, arrogant, biased management and HR. Lack of communication. No opportunities for advancement for temporary employees who are not related to someone who works there in a permanent position or in the office.

6. "Anonymous - Higher Management (Director)"

Former Employee - Anonymous - Higher Management (Director) in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous - Higher Management (Director) in Detroit, MI

I worked at Meritor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have not found anything interesting as of now. This is not a company for higher management members.

Cons

Please higher-ups, Be a part of Internal Network else problem. Old Technology, Old thinking. Very Political and not professional.

Advice to Management

Be Professional and be positive towards management team members.

"An organization still in search of it's true identity..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Meritor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Some very strong technical talent

Cons

Lack of overall respect for the common employee.
    Everything is an "emergency", lack of prioritization.
    Inability to make strategic decisions and then when decisions are made, always seeming to 2nd guess them.
    Consistant turnover at all levels, especially at the higher ranks. Very disconcerting.

Advice to Management

With our previous CEO no longer with us, the board needs to choose very wisely in deterimining our next top leader. Look from outside, not from within. Recently announced 3 year strategic plan is a step in the right direction but don't lose sight of the employees.

8. "Too dependent of the overspending of the Government"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Meritor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best and brightest people I have every worked with. A very nice headquarters building with every facility required to perform your job. Some very hard working and dedicated managers.

Cons

A brutal layoff Jan2013 with no forewarning to employees. A tap on the shoulder, off to personel and out the door. Meritor is very dependent of government spending and the boat has been sinking for awhile. They could not compete in automotive and dropped that customer base. With technology that is 20 years old, they have no technological expertise.

Advice to Management

Seek out new attractive markets. Start investing in R & D. When layoffs are necessary, do them in a more humanitarian way.

9. "Current experience"

I have been working at Meritor full-time

Pros

The management team is pushing down to turn the business around in Aftermarket business unit.

Cons

Aftermarket future is uncertain. Workload is very high and feel always behind. Overloaded work load is a common theme in the Aftermarket business unit. No work-life balance. Lack of team spirit. Individual agenda seems to take place over team agenda. The plant associates are considered step child by the corporate management team. Too many finance directors left the company within a year which give bad signal to others.

Advice to Management

Put people first before your business goals. People are the one who make differences in your organization and drive and achieve business goals. Allow people to take vacation, maintain a work life balance just like you do at the corporation. Take care if your people first!