Meritor Reviews | Glassdoor

Meritor Reviews

Updated November 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is good in some departments but poor in other areass (in 9 reviews)

• Very active position and tons of opportunity to learn with a great group of people to learn from (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance depends on department (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management to listen to the people on the floor (in 6 reviews)

"Just another manufacturing plant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fletcher, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fletcher, NC

I worked at Meritor full-time

Pros

Great pay for the area and other employees on the production lines are always willing to help. Great place to learn manufacturing skills.

Cons

Management is weak and has little respect for employees.

"I wake up every morning looking forward to the journey."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meritor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management, work life balance, access to resources, and the feeling that you can have an actual impact in a global organization with +8,000 employees. Modern, safe, and fun work environment with extremely talented employees. All levels from low level management to executive leadership are committed to their employees and leading the company in a very transparent yet extremely competitive matter.

Cons

While the commercial vehicle industry is vital to the economy and in some fashion directly connected to almost every other industry it still is not the most glamorous industry.

Advice to Management

Run with the Bull is an amazing and transformational movement that has set a precedent for the commercial vehicle industry. Corporate and brand identity/awareness may not be as critical in terms of the nature of our business, but when it comes to recruiting young talent for roles in an aging industry there is nothing millennials desire more than working for a "cool" company.

3. "Annonymous"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Meritor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits aren't too bad, pay could be better. You shouldn't hire on new people, up the pay starting out & just ignore your current employees pay rate.

Cons

Dedication means nothing. Everything you do is too hands on. Expect way too much physically, unrealistic. Safety is a big issue so when people are overworked & the physical demands expected are way too much, why would you not understand accidental situations. Need equipment upgrades. Production would be a lot smoother for freshly rested employees. Doesn't matter how long you've been there. If you can't cut the physical demands anymore, you're pretty much gone! Your a dime a dozen!!

Advice to Management

Try yourself to work the floor & overtime demands. Bet you'd have a whole different view! These are people not robots. Update your facility!! Treat people human.

"Proceed With Caution"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Troy, MI

I worked at Meritor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros of working for Meritor are pretty standard.
    -Decent Salary
    -Somewhat lenient with time off (PTO or personal)
    -More paid company holidays than any other company I've come accross
    -Nice Facility

Cons

Keep in mind that this review is from my perspective. It has been over a year since I left Meritor, so I write this with a clear head, but I can only speak to my personal experience.

A few cons I experienced working here are as follows...

There is absolutely no sense of organization. A project involving multiple people that should take a few days can take months. For example, I when I on boarded we were aware of a deadline that had to be met in 16 months. The work leading up to it should have taken maybe 3 months. But we had a year and a half to prepare, then at the final hour management and SDM's finally decided to start working on it. It was one of the most stressful experiences I have ever been a part of. Everyone was panicking, frantically trying to get everything ready before the deadline (which of course was missed). The whole display was an embarrassment.

Second con... One of the biggest red flags you should always pay attention to when starting a new job is how employee morale is. From the get go, it was blatantly obvious that everyone was stressed, overworked, and miserable. I can not even tell you how many times my direct boss told me he hated it there. Morale was low among most employees there. That should have been my first cue to get out.

It's just simply not a fun place to work. Sure, some of the coworkers are friendly, and it helps the day pass. But from my experience, I came in every morning, plopped down at my desk, spent about 90% of my day speaking to no one and manically performing glorified data entry, then booking it out of there as soon as the clock struck 5:00. It's just a job. Not an enjoyable one.

Overall, I truly did not enjoy my experience here. I enjoyed my salary, and that's why I stuck around as long as I did. Looking back, I wish I would have ran out of there much sooner. There are plenty of better jobs out there.

Advice to Management

I guess the one thing that sticks out most to me is to value your employees. Treat them right, and ensure that they are being treated with respect by their coworkers. Also, be involved! If your employee goes an entire week without seeing your face once, even though you only sit a few cubes away, you're doing something wrong. If you remain at least a little bit involved, you'll be able to observe the work that they are actually doing, and maybe gain some appreciation for them. Do right by your employees, and be not just a boss, but a leader.

"Principal engineer"

I have been working at Meritor full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment and easy going manager

Cons

Hard work not really appreciated

Advice to Management

Don't play polictics

"HR Generalist"

I worked at Meritor full-time

Pros

Good opportunities for those that want to grow

Cons

Business was often stagnant, rarely has good quarterly financial results while there.

"Review"

Pros

Honestly, I have no pros to list; other than they pay you to work there...

Cons

Unless you are salary or work in the front office; you are not in the "cool click" and treated like it. Feels like you're back in high school again.

8. "Senior Buyer"

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Troy, MI

I worked at Meritor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat Flexible work schedules. Great culture within department. Opportunity to grow skills through training. Exposure to upper management. Promotes within before going outside.

Cons

Terrible College Reimbursement Program that requires an employee to stay 2 years after completion without paying full cost. Training new employees needs work.

Advice to Management

Stop preaching empowerment. Practice it.

"Favoritism at it's best. Certain upper management individuals look for reasons to blame."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at Meritor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Real stuff, you'll be good at the job(but will come at the cost of hair loss and hypertension)
    Money was good but you can make $20K more at GM or Ford.

Cons

Sure, you'll be great at the job but you will not be recognized.
    -Blame games are super strong at this place.
    -If you are a pretty lookin' lady, you've all of a sudden got so much over the guys.
    -Few individuals are definitely on a power trip and want to use their newly acquired position/status to make peoples' lives miserable.
    Furthermore,
    -Your work will not be appreciated, if you found savings opportunities, you wont get pat on the back but rather a more ridiculous and unrealistic savings target.
    -The company believed in 2.5% YOY savings target, which is just an unrealistic target to achieve.
    -Lack of communication between department probably just like any other place.
    -Upper management always ends up being the savior/hero, Buyers who bust the butts will not get squat.
    -There are also groups of bullies that will treat college kids like absolute crap.
    Purchasing sucks everywhere but this place is just the worst. Absolute nightmare.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism, hiring just "hot" girls. Moreover, appreciate your employees.
    College kids come to learn there, not so you guys can intimidate and make them cry. They are just starting up, stop acting like a bunch of hypocrites. You also have children or will some day. Disciplining children vs. bullying; BIG DIFFERENCE!

"Great experience and people"

I have been working at Meritor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, very good experience. Work/life balance is good in some departments but poor in other areass. Education reimbursement, if available, is fair. Vacation policy is decent. Depending on the department, working from home is available. Company is very ethical.

Cons

Work/life can be poor depending on area. Company is very inconsistent in investing in employees and aggressively cuts G&A spending. Benefits are slightly below average at best, and compensation overall is below average. No paid maternity/paternity leave.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer great experience, but put more emphasis on work/life balance by keeping policies even across the organization. Overall compensation needs to improve. Overall company/employee investment needs to be more consistent.