Merkle Reviews in Columbia, MD | Glassdoor

Columbia, MD

Merkle Chairman and CEO David Williams
David Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The extremely generous work-from-home policy and great benefits definitely stand out as the biggest pros (in 34 reviews)

• Depending on the account, there are some very smart people to work for (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to establish work life balance (in 52 reviews)

• Long hours due to client demands (in 30 reviews)

1. "Project Manager"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Columbia, MD
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great people who worked hard and cared about what they did. Nice work atmosphere and office.

Cons

Too many hours. Little work-life balance. Constantly changing priorities made it hard to accomplish tasks.

Advice to Management

Set monthly goals not daily.

"Sales vs. Service at Merkle"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All of the people I work with to serve clients are smart, hard working and fun. If it weren't for them and a "we're in this together" mentality, I would no longer work for Merkle.

Cons

The sales team is so disconnected from the teams servicing clients, which makes new client onboarding painful for both Merkle and the new client. Even upselling current clients causes issues as we fail to increase staff for increased SOWs.

Advice to Management

Focus on hiring and developing strong entry level employees rather than trying to solve with expensive titles. If you really want to know how things are going on some of your largest accounts, ask the team in the weeds.

"High growth and fast pace all the time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle (More than 5 years)

Pros

Progressive thinking, smart and talented team members that are generally supportive of each other. Understands marketers need to create greater customer-centricity and need for digital and offline media and channels to integrate and be optimized. Working to become one stop agency with expertise across most disciplines - good idea, hard to execute. Unlimited vacation policy is good in theory. Other benefits are standard.

Cons

Lots of turmoil over past 6 months equates to a lot of layoffs (of good people); lots of cost cutting. Arrogance level is high. Environment currently not great and culture unsettled (due to all the organizational changes and new hires over past couple of years). Career advancement can be difficult depending on where you are in the organization. Lost some of their identity. High growth means long hours so don't go there unless you want to work hard. Reorganizations are common.

Advice to Management

Decide who and what you want to be; messaging in marketplace is complicated; less arrogance; be more humble and patient; don't take yourselves so seriously.

"Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle (Less than a year)

Pros

a great group of people to work with

Cons

pushed to the limits beyond what one can take

Advice to Management

listen when folks are hitting the wall

Merkle Response

Oct 21, 2015 – Senior Recruiter

People are our most important asset so it's great to hear you are working with a great group! We are continuously working with our career advocates to better our people management skills and hope you... More

"After doing a great job for a number of years - how could someone get so bad so quick"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Pros

Great hours and always a great environment to work in.

Cons

After being employed for 8 years - I was given a new supervisor who knew knowing about my job and took and attitude against me because I loved the company and the owner.

Advice to Management

Always look into the events that surround an employee after so long that they are making an argument on their job performance.

6. "Not much direction"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall a decent company to work for. Diverse technology to attract many different industry specific searches. Open to alternate work locations, offices, remote/home, and commuting.

Cons

Not all managers or people responsible for work direction are adept or comfortable with remote working relationships. Work direction was sometimes lost with the distance.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide a good work/life mix.

"Smart people, those that are left"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn technologies and grow your skill set. The people are top notch and there is a ton of opportunity to learn. Tools are in place to allow effective communication across the different co-locations and there is a lot of flexibility in benefits for work from home and PTO. Pay is good.

Cons

Company has really shifted from trying to be a great place to work to shipping jobs offshore to increase revenue. The top level leadership really does not have any idea what the rest of the company is doing, except other than keeping a tight grip on utilization as the main performance indicator. Be prepared to work a lot of hours to meet unrealistic utilization numbers or you'll get replaced.

Advice to Management

The CEO is a puppet to the Board and is more concerned about numbers than the people. It's unfortunate that he started this company with people in mind and now all vision is really lost.

8. "good place for fresh grads"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

for new grads, its a good place to learn and get start in analytics
    there are a lot of smart people working in there

Cons

fast paced working environment
    long work hours
    frequent re-organization

"Its OK, it can be much much better though. All the ingredients are there."

Current Employee - Lead Marketing Analyst in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Marketing Analyst in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talent is amazing - some really smart people in the organization. Deal with very marketing projects and work very relevant and in high demand in the current economy.

Cons

Constant changes, not always due to a good reason. Poor attrition rate, due to burn-out or dissatisfaction, both really common with most exits.

Advice to Management

Figure it out

"Overall not Bad."

Current Employee - Senior Director in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time

Pros

Good work ethics. People seem to want to get it done. Great place to learn and work on new technologies. There is great transparency from the Management on what's going in the company.

Cons

Every couple of years management makes random and big changes. The Anti-Peoples department (HR) is the worse and should be replaced.

Advice to Management

One change you should make is let go the whole peoples department.