Merkle Reviews in Columbia, MD | Glassdoor

Merkle Columbia Reviews

Updated April 17, 2017

Columbia, MD

Pros
  • Work from home is the biggest plus for me (in 27 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to work with really smart people (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to establish work life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Chicago office is neglected and long hours are the norm (in 26 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the culture. People are great and extremely smart here at Merkle. You are allowed to be yourself and there is a great practice of honesty.

Cons

There have been some layoffs that have shaken things up a bit in my department. Also, there is a lack of buttoned down processes that makes change management a bit difficult. Definitely because things change so much around here.

Advice to Management

Promote accountability and allows some rigidity for the sake of more smooth transitions as the company grows.

"Director in vertical."

Current Employee - Director in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time

Pros

Fantastic, smart, passionate colleagues who are always there for each other. Teams work together both towards client and Merkle goals. Good internal training options.

Cons

Senior management, and even direct managers, seem to have no idea what individual employees do. Overall there is little positive reinforcement or recognition.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees. Work to keep the good ones.

Dec 29, 2015 – Senior Recruiter

Thanks for your review! Its great to hear you have a strong team here at Merkle. We hear your advice in reinforcing great work and appreciate your feedback.

"Avoid Merkle - Plenty of other opportunities around MD"

Current Employee - IT in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - IT in Columbia, MD

Pros

- Nice building
    - Most people get along well and fit the culture
    - For new hires out of college, plenty of opportunity for advancement (because people keep leaving!)
    - Compensation and benefits are average

Cons

- You are expected to work 45-50 hours. Very, very few people are told this when they start.
    - These 45-50 hours are extremely aggressive. You will regularly work late hours, weekend and are expected to reply to emails/calls off hours. Everyone not manipulating the system gets burnt out fairly quickly.
    - Merkle keeps acquiring new companies while cutting costs. Wreaks havoc on your projects and day-to-day work.
    - Constant employee turnover. They will says it's "a little high," but it's unacceptably high when you also include the contract workers that quit before their 6 months is up.
    - The "no rules vacation" is really just a scam so they don't have to payout vacation time upon resignation. It's not a perk. Don't be fooled.
    - Over the last year or two, the company has changed directions from hiring "the right people" to hiring new college grads or whoever will take the salary without reading the REAL reviews on glassdoor first. It's not a place for quality experienced professionals anymore.
    - In IT, there are a few key people in management that are simply incapable of doing their job, and others regularly micromanage or derail projects. This has created a very negative attitude within the dept. It has become unbearable for most of the staff, which is unfortunate because they are extremely talented.

Advice to Management

I can't get on board with the direction the company is taking with employment or how IT is being run. Any advice I give would require a complete overhaul to make this an employee-investor-friendly company rather than just an investor-friendly company.

"Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle (Less than a year)

Pros

a great group of people to work with

Cons

pushed to the limits beyond what one can take

Advice to Management

listen when folks are hitting the wall

Oct 21, 2015 – Senior Recruiter

People are our most important asset so it's great to hear you are working with a great group! We are continuously working with our career advocates to better our people management skills and hope you ... More

"Okay"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Columbia, MD

Pros

Lot to learn
    Newer offices
    Free coffee

Cons

No work life balance
    Sink or swim
    No transparency

7. "EVP"

Current Employee - EVP in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - EVP in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company full of really smart people; super interesting market; Growing, expanding and developing more discipline as it does. A great place for people who like to be really empowered; you'll find that people really care about individuals here. they want you to be responsible for your own career - but they want you focused on learning and development continually; a GREAT place to work

Cons

Not a con - just a reality - you have to be energetic and super smart to fit in here. You also need to be flexible and eager to deal with issues both strategic and detailed. If not - do not even think about it

Advice to Management

Stay true to your strong culture AS you scale

"Project Manager"

I have been working at Merkle full-time

Pros

Great team members; people work really hard and are committed to their work
    Ability to periodically WFH is likely the #1 benefit at Merkle.
    An opportunity to learn a lot.

Cons

1) Merkle changes direction frequently. Your job description will likely change at Merkle. You can only hope you like the new roles and responsibilities. IF you’re asked if you want the new job description, but the only right answer is “yes”.
    2) Cost-cutting is paramount. You can be an employee for many years, but if you’re not part of the new vision, your position will get cut. There is zero job security. There are no benefits to being a tenured employee. All recent new benefits are directed at new employees - vacation policy and 0 vesting time for 401K match.
    3) Many positions are moving to China due to cost-cutting, so the expectation is for employees to be available during working hours in China to get work done.
    4) High turnover. It makes doing your job difficult as you’re constantly working with employees that are new to Merkle. Average tenure at Merkle is about 3 years. (Voluntary) turnover is 11% (note, its “voluntary”).
    5) If you get a bad manager, you’re stuck. Merkle’s sole answer to every issue or complaint is “talk to your manager”. Got hired by a great manager? Re-read #4. Your manager will likely change, either due to turnover or re-alignment. I’ve had about 8 or 9 managers at Merkle.
    6) The workload is unmanageable. LOTS of people working to exhaustion, making errors, causing re-work and more overtime. Try complaining to a manager that’s working even more overtime than you are. It’s useless and a manager’s lowest priority is his/her employees.
    7) Merkle isn’t doing anything meaningful to address problems 1 – 5. For some reason, HR is their primary focus to career development. Employees don't know or trust HR, so people only go to HR for help when they're turning in their resignation.

Advice to Management

Don't just talk about employees being a priority, we're tired of hearing that with no action. Actually DO something to help overworked, exhausted employees.

9. "It's a good gig"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture is geared towards delivering results (you're given lots of freedom to decide what needs to be done, very little micro-managing).
    Senior staff very engaged in the business

Cons

We work long hours more often than I'd like

Advice to Management

None

Sep 17, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

Wow! 5 years! THANK YOU for your commitment to Merkle. We are lucky to have you on the team.

10. "Merkle"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong culture and management team

Cons

Not enough free food

Advice to Management

More free food

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at Merkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none that are worth more than the cons

Cons

I was hoping it would get better as time passed but it was more horrible every day. Extremely long hours, virtually no guidance past corporate on boarding, completely lied about job description vs. reality. Very "clicky"...senior management protects people even when blatantly obvious that they are inappropriate and unprofessional. Absolutely no work life balance. If you don't really care to spend time with your family this is the place for you. From the employees to the job itself it was the worst professional experience of my life & I'm no stranger to hard work in my vertical in this industry for almost 20yrs, well respected & dedicated. Best move ever was to leave. No amount if money or WFH benefit was worth that experience.

Advice to Management

Lies lies lies right from the start...lied about the travel, lied about the job specs, lied about the state of the account, lied about team dynamics & how helpful everyone was...never was in a position with more back stabbing empty people ever... you really should be ashamed. It was horrible. Really look at your Directors. They're shiny penny's for sure...horrible people...your pharma vertical is a well known hot mess in the industry because the core group are ridiculous people. From when I started to a few months after I left over I counted over 9 people in & out within weeks or months of starting (less then a year) with one suffering from panic attacks - pharma vertical ... They we're running out the door...I along with them & my quality of life improved immediately...I was snatched right up by another company & been there ever since. Working hard for a company & people who certainly care about the bottom line, but also care about me too. Recruiters from Merkle are constantly calling people from my company ... Nobody goes, I make sure of that for their sake. Take a good look in the mirror.