Merkle Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Merkle Chairman and CEO David Williams
David Williams

Pros
  • Work from home is the biggest plus for me (in 27 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to work with really smart people (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to establish work life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Chicago office is neglected and long hours are the norm (in 26 reviews)

1. "Loved Merkle - Cutting Edge Leader"

Former Employee - Senior Director of Digital Strategy in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Director of Digital Strategy in Denver, CO

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge work, you will be on the front of the spectrum from a data driven marketing perspective. I had the opportunity to work with world class clients and on projects that I would never have seen at other agencies. The structure is large, it's a company growing fast and with that comes some tougher days and occasionally being lost in the shuffle. But you have to expect it and work through it.

Cons

Merkle is large, and growing, and wants to grow very quickly. This means you have to keep your head above water and sometimes work to be noticed. This leads occasionally to a feeling of being lost or not receiving the recognition to which you feel entitled. This is standard for large fast growing organizations. You just have to keep pushing and you'll earn your dues.

Advice to Management

Keep growing, keep pushing. Merkle will continue to dominate and lead the charge in this field.

"Senior Account Manager"

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teaches you to work hard.

Cons

Works you hard. Salary is not commensurate to responsibility or value produced for company.

Advice to Management

Accepting a slightly lower margin on deals will make it possible to provide a better product to clients and keep them happy.

3. "Senior Account Manager"

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with very smart and passionate people
    Flexible vacation - as long as you get your work done/work covered - no questions or pushback

Cons

Long hours
    Spread thin at times due to not staffing accounts appropriately
    Difficult to move between "verticals" across the organization

Advice to Management

Make sure accounts are staffed appropriately
    Make it easier to move across the organization if desired

Jun 30, 2016 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We know our employees work hard and sometimes put in long hours and we hope perks like our flexible vacation plan, as you mentioned, help to ... More

5. "Good Place"

Current Employee - Lead Campaign Analyst in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Lead Campaign Analyst in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, good work environment

Cons

do not know any cons

Jun 2, 2016 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for sharing your review!

"Good opportunities if you stick with it."

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home is the biggest plus for me. I work in the Denver office, and it's nice to have the option to work from home -- especially on snowy days! The people are also great. I enjoy working with a majority of the people I work with, and I truly feel everyone respect's everyone's workload. The politics for the size of the company are pretty minimal from what I've found.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a concern at times. However, that's part of the game when you work at an agency. Coming from a client background, I've been pleasantly surprised with the hours, but from time to time you will burn the midnight oil. The managers are pretty aware of what's on everyone's plates and do recognize when you've put in the extra hours.

Advice to Management

Continue expanding the career framework, but offer more opportunities outside of the standard career path for a role.

7. "Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Flexibility, work from home, great people

Cons

silo-ed business functions, constant restructure

"A company for growth and success - but still room for improvement"

Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I currently work for Merkle and have worked here for almost 3 years. The people at Merkle are amazing! Merkle aims to hire smart, hard-working people. You'll hear that from almost every work group.

It depends on the team, but the culture at Merkle is work hard/play hard, and have some fun while you do it.

The clients are very large and offer great exposure and challenges.

As a female, I also love the fact that Merkle empowers women and puts them in leadership. Age is also just a number at Merkle. Merkle will promote you if you work hard and show the necessary strengths, regardless of your age.

It depends on the team/capability, but there is also a great sense of team unity which is unique for large companies.

Cons

I have had my ups and downs while working at Merkle. There were times where I was stretched way too thin and working demanding hours. I'm thankful that I'm in a position where my work-life balance is now stable, but I think it's really important for Merkle to continue to strive for better work-life balance. I owe a lot of my work-life balance to the fact that our team was able to hire and we are staffed appropriately for the volume of work which is large due to our team's leadership.

In the client world at Merkle you rarely hear "no" said to a client. This is a problem because it doesn't create a partnership it creates a dictatorship. It also causes unnecessary stress and poor quality when we can't push back on certain projects/ tight deadlines that don't meet a certain business objective or timeline. We are obviously a client service industry, but there needs to be a little give and take so employees don't burn out or throw in the towel because they have no voice.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on your people, they are your biggest asset. When you get people who feel rewarded for working hard, they will work even harder for your clients.

Empower your leadership and teams to have a voice with the client.

While Senior Leadership has to focus on the numbers and utilization, make sure that's not the focus of all topics so your employees don't feel everything is a numbers game.

Dec 29, 2015 – Senior Recruiter

Thanks for the 4 stars! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and insightful. We know there is always room for improvement and we hear your advice.

"Senior Director"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Merkle, the people are very smart and dedicated to their clients. The culture is fun. An entrepreneurial spirit is valued.

Cons

There is little to no work life balance at Merkle. You are expected to be available to work nights and weekends, and the workload is intense. There is little to no career advancement opportunities. It can be tough to break into the senior leadership team.

Jan 8, 2016 – Senior Recruiter

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad you enjoyed your time at Merkle working with a smart team. We know that sometimes the workload can be intense and hear your feedback. In ... More

10. "I'd recommend the Denver office if you work in Creative/UX"

Current Employee - User Experience Architect in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - User Experience Architect in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the Creative/UX department, an unbelievable amount of flexibility is available. The belief that Principles trump values is often portrayed here. A great place to concentrate on work, and never any signs of micromanagement. Work/life balance is important to everyone here and we have very flexible amounts of PTO.

Cons

Hard to work with so many conference calls, with so much of management working remotely. Difficult to negotiate raises and proper compensation after the first year.

Advice to Management

Fight to pay your employees what they feel they deserve.

11. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been here a long time. Merkle is flexible and lets its employees grow. Amazing talent pool and the teams are great. This is an aggressive agency and isn't for anyone, but for me it was a perfect fit.

Cons

Merkle continues to constantly change. At times the communication on the changes isn't as great as it could be outside of HQ.

Advice to Management

Keep moving, but know that not everyone can move at the same pace. Make the investment to increase the repeatable processes we need as a foundation