Merrick & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

David G. Huelskamp

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, flexible schedules, strong group of experienced workers. Employee owned, lots of back log.

Cons

Not too many... nothing worth mentioning here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Very disappointing, terrible"

Current Employee - Geospatial in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Geospatial in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None unless you like being pigeon holed into a job with no advancement similar to working on a glorified assembly line. A great place for under achievers who have no drive and have no desire for advancement.

Cons

There is no opportunity in the geospatial department. Be prepared to stay in the same position for an extended period.

Advice to Management

Haha.

3. "Interesting project work, closed management team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Merrick & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting, innovative project work in a wide variety of industries. Very good employees, overall. Growing form with strong sales pipeline.

Cons

Heavy emphasis on federal contracts, poor intra-firm cross selling of service offering. Lack of senior technology leader to guide technical direction of the firm. Insufficient external marketing capabilities.

Advice to Management

Improve employee access to corporate stock options!

5. "Survey"

Current Employee - Survey Instrument Operator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Survey Instrument Operator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing, the company takes care of its employes

Cons

The schedule is pathetic, no different than a day labor schedule

Advice to Management

_N/A_

6. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Very diverse, employee-owned professional services firm. Good people. Good vision.

Cons

Mid-sized firm (~500 employees), sometimes too small to take on the really large projects and sometimes too big to compete with the smaller firms.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the next generation and provide opportunities for career growth

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Senior QA/NDE Engineer and CMRR Project QA Manager (PQAM) in Los Alamos, NM

I worked at Merrick & Company (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers and mid management personnel. Very professional and capable engineering staff and technical personnel. Fair to good working conditions and equipment.

Cons

Lousy site upper management, no home office (Denver) support or guidance. No concept of consideration needed for employees recovering from serious illness (pneumonia).

Advice to Management

Take a good second look at who you promote to site senior management.

"Jekyll & Hyde types in management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

For the most part, the teammates in my Discipline that I worked directly for and with during my first 2 years at Merrick were outstanding, highly ethical and morally focused individuals who were very accomplished and seasoned professionals. Upon joining Merrick I was quickly engaged into several very interesting and challenging projects and learned a lot in a short period of time.

Cons

At first, the Management in the San Antonio office seemed very friendly and inviting, almost a family type of atmosphere with frequent celebrations, parties, etc. But, I soon observed that there was very Dark Side to the management in the San Antonio office and at the corporate headquarters in Denver. There is quite a bit of truth to the other reviews here on the backstabbing and undermining that takes place in the upper management at Merrick. I personally witnessed on countless occasions some of these managers praise and even hug fellow employees and teammates only to ridicule and stab them in the back once they left the conference room or conference call. Often, the backstabbing didn’t even make sense, very Jekyll & Hyde-ish and childish both in my opinion and other employee’s opinions who witnessed these actions by some of the senior managers. I can also attest to the negative reviews posted here on the current COO of Merrick. When he visited San Antonio he often would discredit and ridicule in almost a turrets-like manner, other members of management including the former COO, who from what I understand was responsible for hiring the current COO some years ago. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you…..I have also seen some of the female Project Managers who were becoming successful at Merrick get the rug pulled out from under them by a senior manager in San Antonio in a High School like jealous manner. They were given performance reviews that were filled with inaccurate and false information by the senior manager out of revenge for trying to make a name for themselves and perhaps one day being a rival to the senior manager in San Antonio. As I have found in my own career, there are many, many better choices to seek out employment at other than at Merrick.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure what to say here other than the fact that Merrick's management needs to ferret out the unethical and immoral senior managers.

"Great Employee Owned Business"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company (More than 10 years)

Pros

employee owned
    open book management
    great coworkers

Cons

can be feast or famine with project driven work

Advice to Management

keep your doors open

"Pretty Good (just writing this to see other reviews)"

Current Employee - Just Writing This to See Other Reviews in Uncertain, TX
    Current Employee - Just Writing This to See Other Reviews in Uncertain, TX

Pros

Competent HR department and great IT services. Interesting work.

Cons

matrix organization has lots of cons

Advice to Management

Fire bad project managers. Set reasonable expectations.

"A lot of self-generated hype, little substance...."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at Merrick & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Even after being employed by Merrick for over 15 years and holding several leadership roles in the firm I still struggle to come up with any Pros to speak of. I did enjoy working with some of my team members over the years.

Cons

Significant shakeups and layoffs have left Merrick directionless and in a downward spiral. Many of the benefits have been suspended due to poor company/management performance. Several members of the senior leadership team, in particular the current COO are rattlesnakes hiding in the tall grass. One day you get a fist bump from him, and the next day you're trying to pull a knife out of your back. That's how he and some others roll at Merrick......There are many, many better options for employment out there

Advice to Management

Stop trying to sell the company to cash out and focus on turning things around. Get rid of the old, stale leadership and bring in new, forward thinking professionals who don't have hidden agendas like most of you currently do...