Merrick & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

David G. Huelskamp

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, flexible schedules, strong group of experienced workers. Employee owned, lots of back log.

Cons

Not too many... nothing worth mentioning here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Interesting project work, closed management team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Merrick & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting, innovative project work in a wide variety of industries. Very good employees, overall. Growing form with strong sales pipeline.

Cons

Heavy emphasis on federal contracts, poor intra-firm cross selling of service offering. Lack of senior technology leader to guide technical direction of the firm. Insufficient external marketing capabilities.

Advice to Management

Improve employee access to corporate stock options!

3. "Mechanical Equipment Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Mechanical Equipment Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Intern - Mechanical Equipment Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Merrick & Company as an intern

Pros

Fantastic experience with extremely knowledgable engineers on an exciting project for the DOE.

Cons

Red tape since it was a DOE job.

"Pretty Good (just writing this to see other reviews)"

Current Employee - Just Writing This to See Other Reviews in Uncertain, TX
    Current Employee - Just Writing This to See Other Reviews in Uncertain, TX

Pros

Competent HR department and great IT services. Interesting work.

Cons

matrix organization has lots of cons

Advice to Management

Fire bad project managers. Set reasonable expectations.

"The experience I have had a Merrick & Company has been positive."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are competitive with other firms of similar size.
    Atmosphere is overall professional and relaxed with flexible hours, department and client dependent.
    People are professional about issues the may arise both personal and project.

Support services are adequate.

Support if needed for current project is available from other locations, if need should arise.

Upper management is appreciative of all employees

Advancement opportunities are available as well as educational advancement opportunities.

Overall Merrick & Company is a great place to work for someone who is a recent graduate looking to build experience, advancement, and stability or for those folks in mid of late career.

The production software for design is always on par with current industry standards. this goes a long way to staying on top of new features to increase ease of use and output.

Staff are always willing to mentor new employees although this varies by location and department.

Cons

Projects are to specific. PM's are limited in what they can market and who they can market to. This is a big disadvantage when compared to other firms. Merrick has such vast experience and resources but they are limited in offering in other areas by many professional employees only holding professional licenses for a few states.

401K is linked to company performance at the end of fiscal year. If one or two sections fail to turn a profit this hurts those who exceeded their goals in other sections.

The largest amount of the "employee" owned stock is reserved for upper management while the lower actual employees have less than majority share thus they have no recourse to push for change. This is a big turnoff to those looking for long term employment opportunities.

The other engineering fields, architecture, landscape, etc, seem to be considered second class.

Things are slow to change especially when it comes to new opportunities. Getting beat out of new market opportunities by slow response from upper management.

Lack of bringing on additional personnel to staff up to work current and go after new projects hurts presentation to new and existing clients. Clients see it as a weakness and possibly lack of commitment, they will look elsewhere.

Lack of an up to date accounting and timekeeping system hurts internal processes. Upgrading to modern would go a long way in making the processes move along easier.

Lack of interest in trying new other software manufacturers to slim line processes in the design process.

Advice to Management

Need to move the change along faster, open the doors to new project areas, and add staff to locations so when clients ask what resources are available for their project the PM's can respond with an adequate number instead of, we will after the fact.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Coordinator in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Coordinator in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong company
    Clearly defined goals
    Good employee support
    Employee owned
    Telecommute available

Cons

High overhead. Slow to change.Medical insurance deductible too high.

Advice to Management

Put a little more personal time into learning the concepts, requirements and principles of the QMS

Merrick & Company Response

Jan 22, 2015 – HR

We have 4 different benefit plans available, with deductibles ranging from $350/year to $2500/year for single coverage. These plans let you decide if you would rather pay more for your benefits in ... More

"Piping Designer"

Current Employee - Piping Designer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Piping Designer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time

Pros

Positive place to work, good team work, kind of like going back in time to the way engineering companies used to be.

Cons

Not willing to pay rates to get experienced people. Only want to pay low wages and hire very inexperienced people. Think in the long run they are going to suffer from dissatisfied clients.

Advice to Management

Pay the money and get the best people you can find to teach the younger folks the ropes instead of just throwing work at them and expecting them to know what to do.

"Great people, fun projects, just way too many eggs in the government basket"

Former Employee - Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at Merrick & Company full-time

Pros

I met some great people whom I really respect as engineers and leaders at Merrick. The company is very good at identifying and using talented people's skills to the best of their abilities. I felt challenged, engaged and desired during my time there. They also had good training and leadership programs.

Cons

They rely so heavily on government work I did not feel my job was safe regardless of my performance level. Because of this they desperately need to diversify their portfolio of projects or they will keep loosing good people. Due to it's small size it does seem like it would be hard to move into leadership positions as there's only so many to go around.

Advice to Management

When staff reductions came around I believe they were handled in the WORST way possible. No announcement to staff was made acknowledging the situation nor the hardship nor what was being done to remedy the situation. It made for many very nerve-wracking days wondering who was gone and if I was next. I'm strongly of the opinion these reductions should have been announced, if only to limit speculation about who might be included and to foster a sense of value towards those who were retained.

9. "The people and corporate culture at Merrick are awesome although the pay is sub-par when compared to competitors"

Current Employee - Senior Field Technician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Field Technician in Denver, CO

I have been working at Merrick & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic people and leadership. Schedule flexibility

Cons

Pay is below that of competitors

Advice to Management

Better compensation

10. "It was wonderful, I met so many helpful and friendly people who helped to ensure my success as an intern."

Former Intern - Process Engineer in Los Alamos, NM
    Former Intern - Process Engineer in Los Alamos, NM

I worked at Merrick & Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, easy to get help if needed. Competitive pay and benefits, wide variety of projects and ability to learn/improve skills if you want. Flexible schedules as a full time employee, 9/80s 10/80s, and some people I met even had 10/40s. Opportunities for seminars and conferences.

Cons

Project based, if there is a lull in projects then you will experience a light work week. Sometimes had more down time then I would have liked, but overall was a great experience.