Merrill Gardens Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave Eskenazy

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay and overworked on all levels except upper and executive management (in 5 reviews)

• It makes consistency a challenge, and sometimes requires upper management to be spread a bit thin (in 4 reviews)

1. "Technology has passed them by"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Always hiring (seniority comes quickly!)

* Opportunity to bond with residents and families

Cons

* Stuck in the dark ages, technologically speaking. On-site management team was baffled by basics like "shared drives" and "scanning to email." If you thought people printing out emails was an absurd joke from "The Office," I've got news for you...

* Very limited career paths. No opportunity for advancement if you're not in nursing school - healthcare opportunities abound, but business ones are non-existent.

* Consistently understaffed care team, and argued that according to the WAC they weren't understaffed. The fact that care staff was clearly unable to meet the needs of their residents was evidently beside the point. Quality of experience for both care team and residents is not on the radar.

Advice to Management

Develop talent and listen to voices outside the echo chamber. There's no end of feedback being given, but very few leaders are willing to make inconvenient course corrections.

"It's Just Sad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

I think the company pays pretty well and there are some great people that work here. The benefits are pretty good too.

Cons

We took a huge step backwards a couple weeks ago. The office was starting to feel better and there was a good spirit of team work being developed. We haven't had that in the seven or so years I have been here. However, that is gone now.

Advice to Management

Take time to recognize the great things that people are doing. Sure, money is important, but recognize that's not the most important thing to the people that are creating all those big profits for you. We take care of seniors. That's why many of us got into this business. It's not only about industry leading profits. And, please, don't call us the Russell Wilson of senior housing and then tell us we don't get bonuses because we weren't good enough. That was rediculous.

"Proceed with caution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands on with seniors. I loved making watching and making their twilight years enjoyable. The management team was delightful. There was truly team spirit.

Cons

It is a burn and turn environment. Moving in seniors is an arduous task. The community is need of upgrades. The support staff not professional or supportive of the CRD. The community needs to have and inside and outside CRD to pull off the requested numbers.

4. "Inconsistent corporate management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The residents in that building changed my life! I am grateful to the people I met, who shared their life stories and advice with me. Incredible community of seniors, I will always remember them with love. The food turned out by Dining Services was fantastic, restaurant quality. Amazing maintenance, dining, care-giving, and housekeeping staff. Everyone worked hard together as a team for the residents. Had a wonderful and inspiring GM that built a dedicated team, and a fabulous and caring Marketing Director that mentored other employees.

Cons

Our building went through a rapid change of General Managers, which upset the residents and destroyed the morale of the staff. It was a difficult location for seniors to live--the building was on a hill, not senior-friendly for walking on a busy street, and in an area over-saturated with competing senior communities. It was clear the last GM I encountered was on a mission from corporate to 'clean house.' The "open door" policy disappeared, she would not speak to staff members without an appointment scheduled. Very strange management style. She started firing people within a few weeks of arriving, barely coming out of her office. Not managing by walking around and observing staff, just pouring over employee files with the door closed. It was devastating to the residents when beloved caregivers and other key staff disappeared without any notice. The most bizarre changes happened with the activities program. A hot-shot new corporate hire began suggesting we add "beer pong" to the activities calendar, trivia nights at bars for field trips, and conducting elaborate mandatory "volunteer" projects for the residents. There is no way seniors should play "beer pong" as part of a senior living activity program--the potential for interactions with medication, falls, and over-imbibing alcohol could be catastrophic--very reckless. She also advocating blasting loud rock music in the lobby to "shake things up," which would have angered residents and their families. These inappropriate and absurd ideas swiftly drove out a huge number of talented, dedicated activities people that did not agree with her extreme calendar propositions, and would rather leave the company than compromise the activity program. This person has since left the company and I am relieved for the remaining residents and their families! MG has also recently sold most of their local properties to a competitor.

Advice to Management

MG, you squandered a lot of passionate talent in your buildings, and lost many dedicated employees. Hopefully you are back on track and have expunged the toxic individuals that did so much damage. Have some faith in your buildings' management teams, and put seniors and their families first over census numbers.

"A very confused company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent. They try to do the right thing.

Cons

Leadership at the top is lacking. They don't know what to do with the company and the direction seems to change every 6 months. They fired half the corporate staff while at the same time hiring a small army of consultants. Meanwhile the ability to support the communities has plummeted. The CEO's top priority seems to be career advancement for his son.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people.

""Turn 'em and burn 'em" is an unfortunate corporate policy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Merrill Gardens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The 401(k) plan, though limited in investment choices, at least offers a modest corporate match. Employees are paid for the hours they work, and rarely if ever (in my experience) receive any pushback about taking vacation or sick time.

Cons

It's depressing to watch talented individuals come and go so often because the compensation and environment are so far below those of other communities in the area. Communities end up staffed by kind and well-meaning immigrants whose limited language skills result in a decrease in the quality of care - or worse, emergency situations caused by an inability to communicate effectively. Unfortunately, because MG's pay scale is below par, communities lose talented and capable staff to hospitals or other communities in the area who offer them what they're worth.

This would only be a problem if MG had any legitimate aspirations of keeping either staff or residents longer than a few months. Marketers are burned to a frazzle trying to keep census up to the demands of the corporate office, while maintenance requests are so much wasted paper and buildings get new wallpaper instead of upgraded HVAC. MG's "turn 'em and burn 'em" policy to both staffing and occupancy is disappointing. Rather than keep people happy and in place, they've apparently determined it's more cost-effective to just keep hunting for new people.

Advice to Management

Grant GMs more autonomy in the running of their communities. You don't know their people; they (hopefully) do. If you've hired the right GMs, you'll be in better shape than you are now. If you haven't, you'll soon find out. Regardless, hamstringing your on-site management and making them essentially ineffectual go-betweens costs them the respect they need and deserve from their staff and their residents, and sets your communities up for the unavoidable failure that invariably comes with immobility. Empower ALL MG employees to do whatever it takes to make the residents' experience superb, and refrain from micromanaging. If you don't trust the people who work for you to do the right thing, hire better people and then get out of their way.

7. "Caregiver"

Pros

Nice residents to take care.

Cons

Management was the reason so many people hating working there.

"TIRED"

I have been working at Merrill Gardens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

These are beautiful facilities with lovely residents. From a visual standpoint, the atmosphere is comfortable and inviting,

Cons

Though the mission statement eludes to a balanced work to life balance, this is erroneous at best. Staffers are overworked and certain departments are given universal workers to execute very important duties to perform that they are not qualified for. This makes everyone's job harder. Trying to communicate you needs with an individual that doesn't understand the nature of the field or the common directives accompanying them, makes the job incredibly time-consuming and frustrating,

Advice to Management

Please consider hiring the staff needed to man your department from the get go with folks proficient in that particular field. The money spent will build a great team from the ground up and reduce the stress of your seasoned professionals greatly. I have already witnessed "hand picked" employees walk off the job due to extremely unfavorable conditions. No dedicated personnel need be subjected to your idea of a quick fix or even temporary help. When employees are overworked and stressed beyond their limitations, you will ultimately end up with a far worse problem than you could ever have imagined. When you are told that a department needs professional workers, listen and comply. You will lose some of the best in the business if you deny or disregard these requests.

"Very Stressful and pushed to limits"

Pros

free food-you will never starve here-, great amount of independence, the residents and friendly staff (well most), private bathrooms, I like that were not micro-managed

Cons

too much stress and pressure, poorly staffed and always understaffed, I could never take real lunch breaks....really... never enough time to do job because your often going out of your job role to help other departments and residents even when your on your lunch break or leaving, many like me forced into doing A LOT of free overtime in secret b/c employees are forbidden to do OT b/c company always trying to save money, really low wage and annual raise is only 33cents, no holidays off, and no vacation until after a whole year causing so much worker burnout, company is in technology stone-age, the technology crisis makes work so inconvenient and more difficult to work without, workers get stressed out too much they often forget how to be nice and positive, poor support from management, and very low consideration for workers and the stress they face that there is such a high turnover in staff, good staff leaving and poorer staff entering, very little career opportunity growth

Advice to Management

consider more staffing and worry less about saving money, think about your workers and why so many are leaving because they are so stressed out, overworked, and underpaid

10. "Caregiver"

Pros

I liked helping the residents.

Cons

The pay is low. The facility need to be updated.

Advice to Management

Take concerns from employees seriously.