Merrill Gardens Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Pettit

Pros
  • Free meal during your daytime shift (in 5 reviews)

• Great people, nice environment and decent work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and overworked on all levels except upper and executive management (in 5 reviews)

• It makes consistency a challenge, and sometimes requires upper management to be spread a bit thin (in 3 reviews)

"What can I say?"

Former Employee - Community Relations Director in Manteca, CA
    Former Employee - Community Relations Director in Manteca, CA

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time

Pros

Retirement Plan
    Hourly rates
    Working with great staff and seniors
    Management gets trips for training. They are basically a waste of money for the company and the management attending them.

Cons

A nasty, greedy corporate culture that will become the demise of the company. Mean-spirited management, greed, greed, greed and more greed. The upper management says that they care about the residents, they even have regional meetings where they try and make themselves look like compassionate people, they are not.

Advice to Management

Egotism will make you fail.

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The residents are the ones who bring pleasure to this job.

Cons

Families should be aware they are paying a large some of money for mediocre living quarters, meals and care. The company has made deep budget cuts to stay afloat and in doing so cut basic things like housekeeping and food service. If you have a relative there I would recommend you check the floors under the bed and the bathrooms and ask yourself is this really worth it. Staff are overworked and not given the resources to do their job with confidence.

Advice to Management

To the CEO-read these reviews and take them to heart if MG really does care. Clean house starting with general managers. As other reviews have mentioned some have become so wrapped up in their own self-worth they will bully and treat others poorly to elevate themselves.

"Dysfunctional, Bad Employee Treatment and Morale, Corp Vampires and Liars"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Merrill Gardens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly Residents, Food, Sweet Residents, and Kind Residents, Food

Cons

I enjoyed this job at first- which wasn't long until I realized how less not much they care about the employees and residents it’s all about the money with them nickel and diming the residents for everything. Mean spirited unfriendly Corp/Regional and Micro Mis- Managers are all about big egos, paychecks and are out right nasty with poor management skills and etiquette. Only the BROWN NOSER and FAVORITES will survive. No one is happy and look miserable, with a lot of gossip and negativity among co-workers which make them difficult to work with. And way above Higher then High turnover for any organization in the industry. That should tell you something is wrong right there. They expect a lot with little or no training, and could care less. Your constantly threatened with write-ups and violations and they will lie to get you out the door. Not a place you would want to spend 8 hours of your day at- (Be afraid be very afraid and run far.. or always walk on egg shells…and be sucked into the bizarre chaos of their abyss DO NOT BOTHER WITH MERRILL GARDENS PERIOD)!!

Advice to Management

Micromanaging is a mistake many new managers make and there's no better way to alienate your workforce. Employees told there's only one way to do things -- yours -- will stop thinking creatively about how to solve problems."A lot of organizations aren't doing the hard work to train their employees and expect them to come into the workforce with skills,. "Most workers don't know what skills are required in different jobs. If you don't know what they are, how do you go get them?"

"I am leaving this job"

Current Employee - Resident Care in San Diego, TX
    Current Employee - Resident Care in San Diego, TX

I have been working at Merrill Gardens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The residents are so grateful for the smallest things and they want to hear about your life and treat you like you are a son or daughter. The residents make you feel appreciated and that your job is important.

Cons

The problem is the corporate management. I do not feel that they are the least bit interested in the elderly residents or their happiness and care. They are only interested in the money. They only ask about things related to money and census and never about the care of the residents. I know they charge them a lot and I do not feel right about that. They hire managers and administrators that are just like them, as in cut throat, competitive, greedy. These people will violate regulations and then we are supposed to go along with it. I see many things that do not seem right going on here. If you don't go along, they make fun of you. There is alot of turnover and they hire some seedy caregivers just to have a body.

Advice to Management

I was hoping that they would sell this place (they are selling places to another company), then I would work for the new ones. I was told they are not selling where I work, so I am quitting as soon as I find another job. If the people at the top were nice and involved and did not want all the money for themselves and cut us out, it might be ok. I don't see that changing. Their ads are all cheery and fun, but that is not the way it really is. most are not happy.

6. "Not the company it used to be"

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time

Pros

The support from the community levels is great., from corporate not so much

Cons

Not all that supportive when it comes down to it - they talk about support and open door but don't back it up

Advice to Management

Stop pretending that the "seattle office" is not corporate

"Nurse"

Pros

Caring for Residents and there families

Cons

Toxic, backbiting work environment, employees stealing from the residence and coming to work intoxicated. While management looked the other way

Advice to Management

Hire Staff that actually cares about the Residents

Merrill Gardens Response

Aug 18, 2014

Thank you for leaving this response and bringing these issues to our attention. We strive to provide a wonderful place for residents to live and team members to work. We are sorry to hear our ... More

"BEWARE!"

Former Employee - Assisted Living Supervisor in Albertville, AL
    Former Employee - Assisted Living Supervisor in Albertville, AL

I worked at Merrill Gardens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started, everything looked & sounded great! It changed within three weeks.

Cons

If you are not willing to do WHATEVER "the boss" asks, then he will find something to blow up and suggest you are terminated. Meanwhile, other employees on the same level (legally held to a higher accountability related to education) get away with the very same thing.

Advice to Management

When a person has been part of the company for two years and have had no complaints, you need to really take them seriously when they do have something to say....and ACT ON IT! This is crucial when you also have residents and family members calling the corporate office. Letting situations lie dormant, or issuing a slap on the hand because it is the easy way out costs money in the end!

"Waitress/Server"

Current Employee - Waitress/Server in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Waitress/Server in Renton, WA

I have been working at Merrill Gardens part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free food
    -Flexible work schedule
    -Occasional (rare) bonus's if building is 100% full
    -The residents are for the most part very sweet & caring
    -Great activitys & General Managers

Cons

-Management is poor
    -Overpriced services, & underpaid employees
    -Rude customers
    -Hard work on your body
    -Poor co-workers

Advice to Management

We are expected to do more work then we get paid for. Overtime is a forbidden word, there is no such thing as a raise, & where does all the money go from the people who are living here? Rent for a studio is over 2,000$ monthly and we get treated like animals, and paid nothing for busting our backs. It's very sad seeing so much money people are putting into a place like this but where is the money going? No talking, or laughing during work time,I would come into work & be miserable. Sad.

"Night Monitor"

I have been working at Merrill Gardens full-time

Pros

Used to be able to work my hours around my school schedule.

Cons

A change in state law made it so we had to undergo training to become caregivers without being asked if that's what we wanted.

Felt as is the non compliance was our fault even though management didn't communicate it to us.

Not an open or welcoming environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and stop passing blame! Diagnosed with job related anxiety due to lack of communication.

Don't feel that I can come to management with my problems without being accused or ignored.

"Do not ever work here"

Pros

Free meals, and that was about it...

Cons

Do yourself a favor and never work at Merrill gardens. Management is a bunch of narcissists, they pick favorites, never listen to employee or resident complaints.

Advice to Management

Hire more professional and less passive aggressive people.