Merrill Lynch Reviews | Glassdoor

Merrill Lynch President & CEO of Bank of America Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan

1,924 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Tough work life balance experience (in 50 reviews)

• Management tasks assigned beyond capacity regularly - necessitating long hours for completion or reduced capacity to assist agents (in 79 reviews)

1. "good place, work life not very balanced, but that's more the industry than the firm"

Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

The opportunities within the firm and even outside of it are amazing. Great alum network if you're curious about other types of work. If you find the right people, it's a good environment, too. Upper management can be genuinely interested in your career development. Work-life balance, of course, is difficult in banking, but all the junior people are pretty much in the same boat, so it's something to encourage bonding.

Cons

Work-life balance. It's difficult to get a weekend off even if you've requested it in advance, but that's more of a banking thing than a ML thing.

Advice to Management

Great job. More flexibility is always good, but it's understandable that there're many scenarios in which that isn't possible.

2. "Happy at Mother Merrill"

Current Employee - AVP/Editor in Hopewell, NJ
    Current Employee - AVP/Editor in Hopewell, NJ

Pros

Great flexibility in terms of telecommuting, good potential to move around the organization, lots of opportunity to learn.

Cons

Risk of layoffs. Obviously the company could have done a better job managing its risk exposure to subprime loans.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with personnel. Don't penalize those of us who are making money for the firm by treating us the same as those in poorly performing areas.

3. "Merrill Lynch is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Investment Banking Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Investment Banking Associate in New York, NY

Pros

People (senior management, middle management and on down) are talented, respectful, hard working, and appreciative.

Cons

long hours (when business is busy)

Advice to Management

no particular advise for senior management, I entrust in them the future of ML

"Merrill Lynch is a Great Employer"

Current Employee - Registered Client Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Registered Client Associate in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Professional environment and good pay. I was pleasantly surprised to find the other Client Associates had years of seniority in the double digits! That is very uncommon in this day. There are several who have been at Merrill Lynch for almost 50 years! That is an indication of what a great company Merrill Lynch is.

Cons

Workload is heavy at times.

Advice to Management

Hang in there! Your employees love you.

6. ""Merrill Lynch" a company that keeps families strong.."

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Merrill Lynch offers excettent affordable benefits; health, dental and so on. But most important to me is the balance offered to our families. That is Merrill Lynch had in place a generous paid time off program reserving plenty of time for employees to spend with their families, also many company backed family events, discount prices on many event, weekend get-aways and vacation packages. Work hard, play hard!

Cons

Like all other major corporations, our current economic state has forced some cutbacks and/or downsizing. Merrill Lynch is no exception.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are your front line. There are lots of great ideas and talent that can be found there. Keep up the good work

7. "Merrill Lynch, great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I believe the best reasons would be because of their benefits, the level of professionalism and the opportunities Merrill provides to succeed. If you would like to learn more about the industry you are in, a new area, or anywhere in the financial world Merrill has a class or provides tuition assistance to complete the class. Their benefits also are fantastic. In this day of high premiums and horrible insurance providers Merrill’s HMO plan is very competitive.

Cons

I don’t know if I see so many for working for ML & Co. but working for Merrill Lynch Bank USA does not provide a lot of area’s for growth. The Senior Management is not going anywhere and there are little to no opportunities to advance in SLC.

Advice to Management

I wouldn’t have feedback for ML & Co. but the feedback that I would give to Merrill Lynch Bank USA would be to bring new products into the bank allowing opportunities for growth.

8. "Awesome job for what it is"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people, benefits and compensation for work are amazing. They have a very rigorous review and promotion process. your colleagues really go to bat for you if you have proved your worth as an asset. It's a good feeling to know that management will be helpful in relocating you if you'd so desire. My job as an assistant in particular can't be beat. I also go to school part time, so I'm able to leave work right when I need to and everyone has been overly flexible and understanding that i'm there to better my life and not to be an assistant forever. I do my job the best I can, and leave at 5:30. I don't have to take any work home, which is awesome. I also love the client interaction that I get. I'm talking directly to CEOs and CFOs daily. I've come to build very solid relationships with such people, which in turn has helped my boss. win win.

Cons

Volatile market makes for a nerve racking state of mind. The job itself doesn't really challenge my brain. It's been a great challenge for a type B to squeeze into a type A job. I major downside to the function of an assistant is that you are accounted for at all times during the day. You have to tell people when you are stepping away even to use the ladies room. This is because you have to account for someone to answer your designated phone lines. I am also not a fan of the major administrative work, like expenses and filing. But my particular boss keeps me very busy on actual projects. so it's a good mix.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure that my specific job is affected by senior management. As long as my pay scale and bonus' stay in tact, i'm happy. I'm more affected by my direct reports and administrative coordinator.

9. "Merrill Lynch is an awesome place to work and can only hope it continues post merger."

Current Employee - AVP, Marketing in Pennington, NJ
    Current Employee - AVP, Marketing in Pennington, NJ

Pros

Merrill Lynch is a wonderful place to work and allows for recognition and fast career advancement.

Cons

Currently the only downside of working at ML is the fact that they are in the process of being purchased by BofA and thus may change the dynamics of the firm completely.

Advice to Management

Senior managment need to ensure they are communicating and if at all possible motivating their employees at this time

"ML is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Registered Client Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Client Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

Everyone is treated as an equal and there is a great deal of open communication between levels of employees. There is an open door to all levels of the company and a sincere willingness to help other employees grow. Our director enables us to pursue everything that we want to and is very supportive.

Cons

The only downside would be that some prospects, referral sources and clients view ML as a not terribly prestigious organization. They view it as a large wirehouse instead of a trusted advisor. Besides that there have been no downsides at all. Even though each team operates independently there is still a sense of camaraderie that exists throughout the Firm.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the Firm is able to operate independently.

11. "Merrill Lynch"

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

Pros

I was well compensated for my work and constanly recognized for my achievement with both awards and cash, My managers were great, easy to work for - expectations were clear and easy to achieve.

Cons

The downside for me was the communte - it was over an hour door to door - worse with traffic or bad weather. After a year, and a bad winter, it was too much.

Advice to Management

Employees respond well to being rewarded and appreciated for their contributions. Keep it up!

Showing 1,924 of 2,242 reviews