Merritt Athletic Clubs Reviews | Glassdoor

Terry Dezzutti

1. "Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager and Membership in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Program Manager and Membership in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Merritt Athletic Clubs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most co-workers are great, can make your own schedule and the clubs are extremely nice.

Cons

Lack of communication by far. Great with ideas but awful with follow through. Vice President is top notch but most regionals below him just can't handle their share. The pay is below average and the marketing department is laughable.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to their employees, not turn them against each other.

2. "Treat their employees as being disposable cogs, rather than valuing them as individuals."

Former Employee - DECK MANAGER/LIFE GUARD in Eldersburg, MD
    Former Employee - DECK MANAGER/LIFE GUARD in Eldersburg, MD

I worked at Merritt Athletic Clubs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It provides an excellent opportunity to work on customer service skills--and the members can be very rewarding to interact with.

Co-workers are generally friendly and supportive, and there are some members of management who take an interest in your development.

Cons

Flagrant disregard for providing breaks. As a lifeguard, I sat on the pool deck for 6-8 hours without ever receiving a lunch break (or even a regular break) because Meritt "had nobody that was qualified to watch the pool". Even going to the bathroom required me to ask a manager to sit (which was illegal, since they weren't trained as lifeguards). There was one point at which I was scolded because I had to ask a manager to sit so I could USE THE RESTROOM.

Merritt never closes in unsafe weather conditions, even if other local businesses in the area do. There was one point at which I had to drive up to the club at 5 am, on sleet-covered, unsalted roads (after a very large snowstorm) because the club insisted on being open. Club management didn't seem to care about staff members risking their safety to get there.

Employees are viewed as disposable, or easily replaceable, and it shows. Rather than taking employee comments or complaints seriously, they are brushed off by upper management--and I believe this dismissive attitude comes from the thought process of, "If the employee really hates it so much, they'll leave, and we'll hire somebody else: no big deal."

Advice to Management

Make an effort to listen to employee complaints. Make sure that people who are expected to supervise others for long periods of time are actually able to take a break. View your employees as human capital that can work to your benefit if properly trained, rather than seeing them as pieces in a machine that can be discarded and replaced when they break down.

3. "It was OK"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in White Marsh, MD
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in White Marsh, MD

I worked at Merritt Athletic Clubs part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice club and equipment, nice cardio studio, some employees are great.

Cons

Management has alot to be desired. Lots of egos, favoritism, and the manager of PT was more concerned with himself than with the team.

5. "Operations Mgr"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Baldwin, MD
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Baldwin, MD

I worked at Merritt Athletic Clubs (More than a year)

Pros

The members were awesome. The facilities were well maintained.

Cons

No real management strategy. Too many meetings, which made it hard to implement anything completely. Too many regional managers that don't really do anything...just attend a lot of meetings.

Advice to Management

It appears that Merritt has finally adopted a plan which includes GM's at each club. They have saturated the Baltimore market with the brand, but haven't had any luck expanding.

"Front Desk Attendant"

Former Employee - Front Desk Attendant in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Front Desk Attendant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Merritt Athletic Clubs part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are a person that loves working out in the gym this would be a perfect place to work. Its steady in terms of working, you get to know the members on a professional and personal level, and the pay can be quite rewarding if you are goal driven.

Cons

Obviously in gyms you need to be hospitable. you can't be against picking up dirty, wet towels, cleaning bathrooms, wiping up sweat, etc. Treat it like your home.

Advice to Management

I would suggest management to allow the front desk and other departments the opportunity to sell memberships, not just the sales department. When you invest your time in with people they invest their time in with you.

"Awesome Athletic Facilities, happy fun employees"

Current Employee - Yoga Instructor in Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Yoga Instructor in Timonium, MD

I have been working at Merritt Athletic Clubs (More than a year)

Pros

Great Facilities, very professional, awesome perks, even enjoyed the orientation training session.

Cons

Marketing meetings get annoying, every employee must be a "salesman"

"Overall Good Job, Some Flaws"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eldersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eldersburg, MD

Pros

The members are really great for the most part. You'll always have a few bad apples mixed in haha but most are wonderful. If you like talking to people and can calm members down when they're upset over small (or large) issues, this will be the easiest job you ever have. I worked at the Front Desk/ as lower level management and it wasn't very difficult. Until you deal with other co-workers...

Cons

Upper level management, within individual clubs and upwards to the Corporate Office, has many flaws. This is what makes being a "lower level" employee difficult. I'm going to break down the issues for those of you considering employment with Merritt. I'm not saying you should not work there, these are just important issues to consider before you make your decision:

1. Disorganization/ Lack of Communication: Corporate managers and upper level management at individual clubs is very disorganized. Information is delivered like a game of telephone from corporate to the "home clubs." This causes a lot of confusion. The Corporate Office sees no issue with this because they never have to deal with the repercussions. I cannot tell you how many times I was yelled at by a member over false information they received from upper management. It's frustrating because lower level employees are not taken seriously; so if you try to bring this up you're not really "listened" to. After awhile, this is very discouraging for morale. You begin to feel like no one cares about you or improving the club.

2. Drama: The managers have a lot of internal "drama" that affects everyone around them. They will gossip about one another constantly and try to make one another look bad. It's very immature and does not set a good example for lower level employees.

3. Money: Merritt is sort of the "Mondo Burger" to your "Good Burger" gyms. (LOL, get it??) I wouldn't say Merritt is "money grubbing" but they will definitely charge a lot for what you get. The issue with this is that the service doesn't always match the price. Countless members would request to speak to managers about certain issues and said managers would actually avoid them. It was strange. This again, falls on lower level employees because we cannot escape to our offices like they can. This attitude of "we take your money and give you a crappy product," is what makes Merritt appear to only care about money.

Advice to Management

Overall, the best solution is for the Corporate Office and the upper management at individual clubs to recognize their flaws and rectify them. Until they can admit their wrong doings nothing will change; this negativity will continue trickling downward to lower level employees. This creates a very stressful work environment that radiates onto the members.

9. "It's okay for starting a job."

Former Employee - LIfe Guard in Eldersburg, MD
    Former Employee - LIfe Guard in Eldersburg, MD

Pros

Good pay for high schoolers, and fun job sometimes. And you get a free membership because you work there as a benefit.

Cons

Extremely strict, not many breaks even for lunch, and also if you had already finished all your jobs assigned to you.

Advice to Management

Breaks periodically, and more respect.

10. "I'm still confused"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Merritt Athletic Clubs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recognized name in the Baltimore area. Because no one will work.....you'll have the opportunity to create your programs and present your own ideas. This will help you immensely in developing your leadership skills.

Cons

It may be the best idea, the most well developed program that will actually make the company a profit but you will not receive support. I'm still confused how a company can last so long but be so misguided.

Advice to Management

Listen to all of your staff not just those in the field. When you do get talent from other industries you should actually allow them to implement their ideas.

11. "Good place to start"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Merritt Athletic Clubs (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility, free membership, multiple locations,

Cons

Pay sucks, no advancement opportunities, out of date

Advice to Management

Get better relationships with employees and members