Merritt Hawkins Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 16, 2019

3.1
Susan Salka

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great, extensive training program that prepares people to be successful in a sales-oriented position" (in 6 reviews)

• "Merritt Hawkins of today is the absolute best physician recruitment company in the country" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "We have great work-life balance" (in 5 reviews)

• "Long hours, and position can be stressful at times" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Love Working Here"

Current Employee - Senior Search Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Search Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Merritt Hawkins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Merritt Hawkins for about a year and a half. I have loved working here from the day I stepped on campus. The organization put me through robust training, my leadership and trainer were extremely supportive, and I have watched my career take off. My VP is extremely flexible with my schedule even allowing me to work from home on some days that my schedule is just too much.

The organization stresses retention and growth for their employees. Recently they switched the compensation model so that we could have more guaranteed income vs. at-risk commission-based income. They have multiple growth paths in the industry for you to choose what avenue in the organization you want to grow into.

Some of these negative reviews are what you would expect from unsatisfied employees in any organization. I'd recommend this job to anyone looking to take control of their career. WE are the best in the industry.

Cons

I am very passionate about my job so sometimes I find myself working more than I anticipated- but that's on my terms

Advice to Management

Continue to hire the right people.

"Great Place to Advance Your Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Merritt Hawkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Merritt Hawkins is the clear leader of all physician recruitment firms. If you are a hard worker who doesn't mind a challenge, this is definitely a great place to advance your career. They offer a variety of resources for professional development, including education assistance and mentorship programs.

MH leadership hires the best people, and they place high (but not impossible) expectations on them. If you're looking for a place where you can slack off and still keep your job, this isn't the place for you.

Cons

The industry is incredibly competitive and physicians are scarce - so the job is no walk in the park. However, Merritt Hawkins rewards hard work generously.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in operations support and resources.

"Director"

I have been working at Merritt Hawkins full-time

Pros

I worked at Merritt Hawkins in the past, but left thinking that grass would be greener on the other side. I joined another retained recruitment firm. They offer a laid-back work environment and promise to be "employee friendly".

Needless to say that I returned after a number of years to Merritt Hawkins and can promise that there is not a comparison. Merritt Hawkins is truly a work environment that is committed to providing elite service to their clients. While we don't wear flip-flops to work, we do strive hard every day to be the best. I have seen that the quality of work and success at Merritt Hawkins vastly out-weighs anyone else in this market. Merritt Hawkins provides all the tools needed to be successful and constantly listens to suggestions, and seeks improvement. In the industry, there are no other companies that have the high number of recruiters experiencing the tremendous success that Merritt Hawkins has.

Any reviews you see about poor quality of life or over-stress are old and out-dated. I am able to enjoy my kids' sporting events, enjoy a great quality of life, and earn a great income.

On top of that, AMN is as employee friendly, or more, than anywhere else in the market. Our benefits are amazing and unmatched. AMN cares about their employees. They provide endless options for career advancement, training (both personal and professional), resources that I am still trying to make the most of, and community outreach that nobody can touch.

This is the place you want to be. Merritt Hawkins of today is the absolute best physician recruitment company in the country.

Cons

Honestly can't think of any. We have great work-life balance. We have opportunity for tremendous professional success and financial reward.

"If you push your employees to write good reviews on GlassDoor, you might want to rethink your leadership style."

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Merritt Hawkins full-time

Pros

Don’t listen to the negative reviews about hard work, that is not the issue. The people that do the work every day are hands down the best people in industry.

Cons

Senior leadership does not care about the workers. They don’t care how their changes impact income. Changes occur without notice or discussion. If you’ve read the reviews you know the leadership here is toxic. When faced with bad reviews on this site they push employees to go online and create positive reviews to offset the negative. Be wary of 5 star reviews moving forward!

People leave in droves, engagement surveys come back negative but nothing is ever done to correct the course. I’ve seen really experience recruiters leave after years with the company. Local VP’s are afraid to say anything or provide constructive feedback. If your boss can’t say anything without losing his job, what is the point of voicing concern? There is one particular leader who does not listen to the leaders at the region level or experienced consultants. He does not understand physician consulting and He seems to dislike and not listen to anyone with recruiting experience. When concerns are raised they are completely ignored. In an effort to create more profit our compensation is constantly changing. It creates an sense of uncertainty and makes us feel of no value, or worth.

Much has been done to eat away income. Recently they decided to give away commission earned by the person doing all the hard work. If you can dial a phone and work a computer you earn half of the commission and never have to sell anything, never have to be told no, not have to keep clients happy, speak to doctors late at night, etc. There are only a few people left who can manage clients. We are forced to give away 40% of our fee to a person that simply gave a name. Imagine, a retained firm that values and rewards workers who act like contingent recruiters.

Nothing is communicated. Nobody asks for or accepts feedback. You show up one day and somebody tells you the new compensation change. Fun times!

Advice to Management

Go back to what worked, when the company treated sales people with respect and value. With the technology we have today our profit and production would be through the roof! Ask yourself how much profit we could return to our investors if we hadn’t chased away all of the experienced recruiters? You can’t grow if you keep losing your best people. If people felt confident and valued they would produce more and make more profit. Speak with people who are willing to tell you the truth vs what you want to hear. Stop taking our commissions away. If new hires see happy recruiters all making good money, that will make them want to stay and learn how it is done.

"Great for those that want to join The Good Ole Boys Club"

Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Merritt Hawkins full-time

Pros

If you're a middle aged white male or a pretty 20 something, you'll probably do okay. Favoritism runs rampant here so be prepared to do some serious a*% kissing. Again, if you're willing to do that you'll be okay.

Cons

This company has so much potential. It could be great. It has everything needed to be a true force to be reckoned with within healthcare recruitment. But upper management has NO IDEA how to do that. They make rash decisions based on feelings and not reason. They over promise and under deliver. They give under the table deals to the people they like the most and everyone knows it. They have everything split into territories and then have no system in how they divide up accounts (that's where some of that favoritism comes into play). The overall system of how things are run is horribly dated and causes enormous problems and a ridiculously high turnover rate but upper management has never worked anywhere else so they can't even begin to conceive of how to change things or even why they should. "Because it's always been done this way" is commonly heard and the true death of any company nowadays. They aren't open to new ideas or ways of doing things because any suggestions are viewed as nothing more than criticism from unsuccessful people. The problem is, very successful employees have been leaving in droves. From what I watched, some of the most intelligent and tenured employees with director, senior director and VP titles have left in the last two years because they were so tired of being disrespected and robbed of further advancement. This company is supposed to be corporate but it's treated like a family company where advancement and respect is based solely on how well liked you are. People with a history of success can easily be passed up by a new employee if they aren't in the inner circle.

Advice to Management

Advice to AMN: Look closer.

6. "Dont Work There"

I worked at Merritt Hawkins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None, very abusive leaders and staff

Cons

Management only cares about themselves

Advice to Management

Get new management

"Search Consultant"

Former Employee - Search Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Search Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Merritt Hawkins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training! They have the absolute best training in physician recruiting! Compensation isn’t bad, if you make placements.

Cons

Everything else. The upper management is full of unrealistic expectations, they micromanage like crazy, they bring in searches in the toughest places and expect them to be filled quickly. They harp on talk time, but then fill your day with meetings so you’re having to work until 8 pm to hit talk time. They have 2 types of RVPs, one rides you everyday until you want to quit and one that rides you on the last day of the month. If you don’t hit 4 interviews every month, you get written up. If you don’t get a full placement every month, you’ll get written up. They use scare tactics to “motivate” people and haven’t realized it doesn’t work.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, hire more recruiters and less VPs.

"Great experience and leadership"

Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Merritt Hawkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic training and leadership support. I was a physician recruiter on Mike Jowdry's team covering the Northeast region. Mike was a wonderful leader and always made time to work through concerns one-on-one with his team. Although recruiting wasn't a career that was a good fit for me, I still am friends with former colleagues and appreciate my time at Merritt Hawkins.

Cons

None. If you want a career in physician recruiting, MHA is the way to go.

Advice to Management

For old searches, re-profiling with the newly assigned recruiter could significantly improve filling the search

"Has anyone noticed that for every bad review, there’s an “amazing” one?!"

Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Irving, TX

I worked at Merritt Hawkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Take the training and run!

Cons

This is a company that should be exposed to the news media. It is a male run (pigs at best) male dominated company and for a woman, you KNOW what that means.. #metoo.
    Hands down one of THE worst companies to ever exist. The micromanaging is true. The belittling is true. The long hours is true. Zero work life balance, is true. Every bad review about this place, IS TRUE! There are SO many other companies around - ONLY go to MHA if it’s THE LAST resort for you - only go to MHA if it’s the last choice before you start selling your body.

Advice to Management

Burn.

"Zero Leadership - They let the business turn upside down right under their nose"

Former Employee - Senior in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior in Dallas, TX

I worked at Merritt Hawkins (More than 8 years)

Pros

ZERO ZERO ZERO ZERO ZERO

Cons

Too Many To Mention - From the top right down to the robots they've placed in positions of power

Advice to Management

Can't offer advice to those who refuse to listen