Merritt Hawkins Reviews | Glassdoor

Merritt Hawkins Reviews

Updated December 9, 2018

Susan Salka

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great, extensive training program that prepares people to be successful in a sales-oriented position" (in 6 reviews)

• "Any reviews you see about poor quality of life or over-stress are old and out-dated" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "We have great work-life balance" (in 4 reviews)

• "Long hours, and position can be stressful at times" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Director"

I have been working at Merritt Hawkins full-time

Pros

I worked at Merritt Hawkins in the past, but left thinking that grass would be greener on the other side. I joined another retained recruitment firm. They offer a laid-back work environment and promise to be "employee friendly".

Needless to say that I returned after a number of years to Merritt Hawkins and can promise that there is not a comparison. Merritt Hawkins is truly a work environment that is committed to providing elite service to their clients. While we don't wear flip-flops to work, we do strive hard every day to be the best. I have seen that the quality of work and success at Merritt Hawkins vastly out-weighs anyone else in this market. Merritt Hawkins provides all the tools needed to be successful and constantly listens to suggestions, and seeks improvement. In the industry, there are no other companies that have the high number of recruiters experiencing the tremendous success that Merritt Hawkins has.

Any reviews you see about poor quality of life or over-stress are old and out-dated. I am able to enjoy my kids' sporting events, enjoy a great quality of life, and earn a great income.

On top of that, AMN is as employee friendly, or more, than anywhere else in the market. Our benefits are amazing and unmatched. AMN cares about their employees. They provide endless options for career advancement, training (both personal and professional), resources that I am still trying to make the most of, and community outreach that nobody can touch.

This is the place you want to be. Merritt Hawkins of today is the absolute best physician recruitment company in the country.

Cons

Honestly can't think of any. We have great work-life balance. We have opportunity for tremendous professional success and financial reward.

2. "Search Consultant"

Former Employee - Search Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Search Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Merritt Hawkins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training! They have the absolute best training in physician recruiting! Compensation isn’t bad, if you make placements.

Cons

Everything else. The upper management is full of unrealistic expectations, they micromanage like crazy, they bring in searches in the toughest places and expect them to be filled quickly. They harp on talk time, but then fill your day with meetings so you’re having to work until 8 pm to hit talk time. They have 2 types of RVPs, one rides you everyday until you want to quit and one that rides you on the last day of the month. If you don’t hit 4 interviews every month, you get written up. If you don’t get a full placement every month, you’ll get written up. They use scare tactics to “motivate” people and haven’t realized it doesn’t work.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, hire more recruiters and less VPs.

3. "Great experience and leadership"

Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Merritt Hawkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic training and leadership support. I was a physician recruiter on Mike Jowdry's team covering the Northeast region. Mike was a wonderful leader and always made time to work through concerns one-on-one with his team. Although recruiting wasn't a career that was a good fit for me, I still am friends with former colleagues and appreciate my time at Merritt Hawkins.

Cons

None. If you want a career in physician recruiting, MHA is the way to go.

Advice to Management

For old searches, re-profiling with the newly assigned recruiter could significantly improve filling the search

4. "Senior Recruiter"

Former Employee - Senior Search Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Search Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Merritt Hawkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice building and amenities. Can make halfway decent money.

Cons

Worst place to work. They expect you to work long hours. No work-life balance. Even if it's subtle, they discourage you from taking time off. Lack of trust and respect from leadership. Cut throat environment. No one really trusts each other. There's always the fear of someone stabbing you in the back, but leadership likes it this way. This is how they control and get information about you. If you don't make a placement a month you will be written up. Leadership is all about bullying and intimidating people to get them to be robots. High producers get to do whatever they want including walking all over people. Most people tolerate the environment because they either don't know better, don't want to leave and have to start all over, or because they are handcuffed by the non-compete. The comp plan is decent but definitely not the best in the industry.

Advice to Management

You have been treating people badly for years and have the worst reputation in the industry. Stop writing people up for everything. Even the playing field so everyone can be successful. Just because someone is a high producer doesn't mean they should be in leadership.

5. "Has anyone noticed that for every bad review, there’s an “amazing” one?!"

Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Irving, TX

I worked at Merritt Hawkins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Take the training and run!

Cons

This is a company that should be exposed to the news media. It is a male run (pigs at best) male dominated company and for a woman, you KNOW what that means.. #metoo.
    Hands down one of THE worst companies to ever exist. The micromanaging is true. The belittling is true. The long hours is true. Zero work life balance, is true. Every bad review about this place, IS TRUE! There are SO many other companies around - ONLY go to MHA if it’s THE LAST resort for you - only go to MHA if it’s the last choice before you start selling your body.

Advice to Management

Burn.

"Zero Leadership - They let the business turn upside down right under their nose"

Former Employee - Senior in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior in Dallas, TX

I worked at Merritt Hawkins (More than 8 years)

Pros

ZERO ZERO ZERO ZERO ZERO

Cons

Too Many To Mention - From the top right down to the robots they've placed in positions of power

Advice to Management

Can't offer advice to those who refuse to listen

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Physician Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at Merritt Hawkins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training has gotten better. Earning potential can be great if you are willing to work long hours and if you have good accounts.

Cons

Leaders don't respect their employees, most employees don't trust their leaders. Leadership doesn't even trust each other. You must be willing to work around the clock. If you're a parent, don't even bother. You won't last here. The favorites get all the good accounts, and they don't care that they show favoritism either. If you speak up about anything prepare to be bullied and retaliated against. These leaders here are very very very vindictive. Ask them how many complaints they get about retaliation. Ask them how many good people they've lost in the last year. They claim to care about retention but only if you fit the mold.

Advice to Management

Until you get certain toxic leaders out - the ones who already have a ton of complaints against them - you'll continue to loss people.

"Turning Point, nobody listens, I am leaving"

Former Employee - Recruiting
    Former Employee - Recruiting

I worked at Merritt Hawkins full-time

Pros

Many of the employees really care about their clients and each other. There are really good people here, some of the best in the industry. Good friendships, nice office, good income potential until you become experienced. New people are treated very well.

Cons

Very sad watching senior level producers leave one by one and nobody asks why or listens. Some of the best recruiters and marketers are leaving or have left. AMN seems to care, but Senior leadership within Merritt Hawkins have already made up their minds and are unwilling to listen to outside views if they view them as critical. You can tell that AMN is pushing them to listen but all that really happens is meetings where the SVP talks over others and doesn’t listen, so he can say that he is getting feedback. Why would you not listen to producers who have been with you for 5-10 years? I am tired of watching my friends leave and training their replacements. I have decided to go to elsewhere too. I hope Merritt Hawkins will turn this around because there are still some good people left.

Advice to Management

You’ve recently brought in a new individual to run several of your companies. Have that person meet with the people on the front lines with experience, not the SVP’s or people beholden to them or afraid of expressing their concerns. Call those of us who have left in the last 12-16 months. The people who work for you are already the hardest workers in the industry and they want to be successful. Why would they all be leaving in droves if there wasn’t a problem with leadership?

"Horrible company to work for."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Merritt Hawkins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Training is amazing but a bit outdated

Cons

They are a publicly traded company so the goals that they put in place for both recruitment and marketing are not realistic. They answer to shareholders not clients. When you get fired or, leave on your own and join another recruitment firm, THEY WILL COME AFTER YOU AS IT PERTAINS TO YOUR NON COMPETE WITH THE MHA CORPORATE ATTORNEYS. YOU CAN COUNT ON IT.

"Client interact and company reputation were exceptionally fulfilling"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiting Consultant in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiting Consultant in Coppell, TX

I worked at Merritt Hawkins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Variety of job responsibilities, co-workers, company pride, working with and advising clients, changing lives. If you can be successful in this environment, your going to do well ANYWHERE else. There’s so much potential for this company with its market share and reputation to be an exceptional company.

Cons

HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT, their lack of leadership skills in mid-level and upper management is abundant. It’s not presumptive to think that they’ve never worked outside the company or ever had any leadership skills. The mid-level managers (Regional and Divisional VPs) are compliant followers, unfortunately they are not empowered to lead their own teams.

The culture is highly micro managed, to the point that managers are tracking the actual daily required disks. Most everyone in a sales role has 185+ hours of vacation saved up per year that they can NOT actually use. The senior “managers” lack empathy and genuinely don’t even care about the employees.

It’s guaranteed that you WILL be under tremendous pressure to produce, this is not for the light skinned or hearted.

They’ve had Salesforce for over 3 years and the senior leadership still don’t even know how to use it 🤦🏻‍♂️

Advice to Management

If I were the CEO, I would move the current President, Sr level VPs to other divisions & bring in new leadership.

Regarding the current SR LEADERSHIP: Read a book(other than ‘Above the Line), take a class, find a professional coach, challenge yourself, find some self awareness (ever wonder if others like you), move around to other divisions (it’s a large company). Have a heart, genuinely care about others, learn what a team is.