Mesa Air Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Mesa Air Chairman and CEO Jonathan G. Ornstein
Jonathan G. Ornstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "When I retired, I retired with my full flight benefits, free to travel all over the world if I want" (in 83 reviews)

• "Quick line holder, love the travel benefits" (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "Just that we have low pay but the contract is a lot better" (in 61 reviews)

• "VERY HIGH TURN OVER RATE for Flight Attendants/LOWEST REGIONAL PAY" (in 43 reviews)

1. "It’s a good starting point"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Houston, TX

I worked at Mesa Air full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flying benefits, great crews, great way to get seniority fast!

Cons

It’s regional pay, hotel could be better, &management could do a lot better!

Advice to Management

Be genuine!

2. "Enjoyable, stressful, not the glamorous life I had imagined but still all worth it."

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Mesa Air full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The crews-seriously the nicest, most humble, & most helpful souls you will work with, the travel benefits, the job itself is enjoyable & rewarding. Paid to stay in hotels & some layovers are super neat! But if you ONLY want the job for free travel, don’t go into this career. There is more to it than you think & you have to take the bad to get the good. The good is worth it all to those of us who truly love this industry. The ability to hold a line in less than a year with Mesa is incredible. The flexibility with Mesa is not common with many airlines. YOUR CHOICE IN BASE DETERMINES MORE THAN YOU KNOW! Choose wisely! E-Jets are the “baby” of the fleet & get the best trips-(Houston base). & all bases have different lengths of time you will have to sit reserve. You aren’t just a number with Mesa. Management does sometimes get to know the crews. This is good because if you do have an issue, they will hear you out & maybe even have a face to a name before a meeting.

Cons

*The upfront financial responsibilities (luggage, uniforms, crashpads/commuting/moving, benefit fees, union dues, all will hit you like a brick wall on your first check when you came out of training already broke. This gets better with time...
    *The schedule, if you have a family or spouse be prepared to miss a lot of things at home if you aren’t able to find somebody to swap with. But this is still the easiest schedule/easiest airline to hold a line the quickest with. Short reserve but the reserve is extremely stressful & financially rough as with any airline.
    *Your first 6months can seem cut throat & stressful to adjust to. You aren’t allowed much leeway, easy to get probation extended if you don’t adhere to the attendance rules, etc. This being said, give the job those 6 months before throwing in the towel because it does get easier. The problems/cons I am listing are with any airline...Mesa gets a bad rap but they have improved a lot...
    TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! Your health I mean! You will thank me later! & TRY not to be a commuter! Good luck! ;)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing to improve, it’s helping. Maybe be a little better at responding to employees questions. Or hire more than one base admin per base to help alleviate the influx of your communication. We know you are busy, so are we. Understand we aren’t robots, our body & brain needs to recharge here & there, especially as new hires. Thank you for the improvements you have made. I think Mesa has great potential going forward.

3. "Love it here!"

I have been working at Mesa Air full-time

Pros

Great travel benefits with other airlines.

Cons

Maintenance is usually needed on most of the aircrafts.

4. "Great !"

I have been working at Mesa Air full-time

Pros

Flying was so great ! Loved it

Cons

The hours, the salary, crew members

5. "Nice"

I worked at Mesa Air full-time

Pros

Great experience with mesa with great people

Cons

A long time for work

6. "Finance Department/Manager"

Former Employee - Manager In the Finance/Accounting Department in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager In the Finance/Accounting Department in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Mesa Air full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I loved the work, loved the people. I only left when I decided to retire and move to another state to spend time with family. Corporate Officers and Vice Presidents were the best I have ever worked with. Open to conversations about new ideas, if possible, adjusting processes that needed them. They are always available, open door policy. I worked there over 10 years without any issues with them. If you accepted the salary offered, did your job and understood the structure of a regional airline business you understood the salaries you would have a great experience with Mesa Air Group. I respected and admired the people I worked for or I would have left. When I retired, I retired with my full flight benefits, free to travel all over the world if I want. Senior management fosters Teamwork but it is up to the departmental managers and supervisors to implement.

Cons

When departmental managers do not hold their team accountable for their output and attitude, it makes it difficult for others employees and departments they effect. Health benefits are not that great but with research, it is now more comparable to other companies.

Advice to Management

Senior teams are great but maybe hold your staff a little more accountable for their team as well as the output and training as it effects other teams.

7. "Quick upgrade to Captain where the pay is better"

Current Employee - First Officer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - First Officer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mesa Air full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great to work with.

Cons

It’s the lowest starting pay in the industry but the bonus can help offset that.

8. "Working as a flight attendant"

I have been working at Mesa Air full-time

Pros

Good workspace environment, friendly cabin crews

Cons

Leaving your family and friends for a long period of time

9. "terrible"

Pros

not bad to get your foot in the door, not a company to stay with long term

Cons

treat employees like a number.

10. "Stepping rock company"

I have been working at Mesa Air part-time

Pros

Benifits- AA and United
    Get line quickly

Cons

Pay and crew scheduling is not nice