Meso Scale Discovery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Jacob Wohlstadter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay is good compared to industry (in 4 reviews)

• Great people, opportunity for growth if you stay in position for a year or two (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the upper management are clueless of what needs to get done and how to do it (in 8 reviews)

• It is an extremely challenging place to work and not a good work/life balance in my opinion (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company for moms"

I have been working at Meso Scale Discovery full-time

Pros

Great company-very flexible towards moms with kids. Great benefits, good team spirit.

Cons

Not easy to advance in the lower level positions

"DO NOT EVER GO HERE! RUN AWAY VERY RAPIDLY AND WORK AT 7-11"

I worked at Meso Scale Discovery full-time

Pros

People are nice and some are knowledgeable

Cons

The leadership (which is non-existent) has no strategic vision or roadmap for the company. They are constantly "shooting from the hip" and have no idea regarding market demand and a strategy for meeting market demand. They also do not communicate at all with the staff (at all levels) a strategic vision or roadmap for success (short term or long term). There is no discussion of here is what we are doing for 2017, the next three years, five years, etc. Decisions are made, changed, made, changed again, made again, changed again. The only way to get ahead as an employee is to become golf buddies with the owner and his direct reports. If that is your idea of how to become an effective leader and how to climb the corporate ladder, then please do join them because I don't want you anywhere near a productive and well-run company.

Advice to Management

They do not take advice.

3. "No work life balance"

I have been working at Meso Scale Discovery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are few pros with this company other than getting experience & being able to move on to something more realistic.

Cons

Where to start. Everyone is micro managed from the top down. Do you research on the working environment here. It's toxic & it's a revolving door. Last year a number of long time sr employees left the organization.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to grow & stop micro managing everyone.

"Forget it"

Former Employee - Scientist in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Scientist in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Meso Scale Discovery full-time

Pros

Good colleagues to work with.

Cons

Management does everything except to manage

5. "Great technology, great team, bright future"

I have been working at Meso Scale Discovery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Market leading technology that I'm proud to work with. The entire field based team is outstanding and dedicated to their customers. Pay is good, and seems to be above industry average. Opportunities for career growth are available to high performers. The company is growing and managing the growth well and is positioned to be a leader in the field of personalized medicine. It's been a fun story to be a part of and I'm looking forward to the next several years.

Cons

One additional week of vacation per year across the board would go a long way toward supporting morale and recruiting. It's hard to convince someone with 3-4 weeks of vacation per year to take a position only offering 2 weeks to start. Even small cost of living adjustments annually would also be appreciated and would bolster retention. After 2 years at the same salary, employees start to feel stuck regardless of how rewarding the job is. In the absence of stock options I'm often looking for additional ways to feel like I'm sharing in the continued success of the company and its bright future. Something like a profit sharing plan would be highly motivating.

Advice to Management

You've hired top performers. A bit more vacation and annual COLA would keep them engaged and retained for the long run. Overall, MSD is a great place to work so keep it up.

"Great Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Meso Scale Discovery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great technology, and the people you work with on a daily basis are great.
    Benefits are on average with most companies. Having the last week of the year off was great , although you had to work a few Saturdays throughout the year to take advantage of this. Work life balance is OK. B/c your are pigeon held in a position, most managers offer some flexibility as they know

Cons

Vacation time is not good. Not room to grow. The company recently created actual job descriptions and a career ladder but it is very hard to move up. Changing departments is frowned upon and most managers take it personal if you seek to move out of their group to expand your skill set.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Meso Scale Discovery (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, excellent benefits, I love my boss, flexible hours

Cons

Includes 2 work Saturdays but you get the time between Christmas and New Year off

8. "I am impressed with the evolved view of sales, support, product, and how they reward their employees."

I have been working at Meso Scale Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful, intelligent people and tools
    Great, cooperative culture
    Positive, laid back, capable manager
    Impressive rewards for good performance
    Extensive, inexpensive health, vision, dental benefits
    I was able to negotiate the vacation time I wanted with no issues
    New recruiter and HR representative are kind and responsive
    Diverse, unique employees and women respected
    I spoke with my manager, and I think any negativity towards the leadership is the fact that they are brilliant scientists and leaders with extensive Ivy League style educations and intellect. They hire and respect true greatness, even in unique forms. I love being in an environment where management expects the best from everyone.
    I am so happy that I didn't believe the negative reviews I read on GD. They are not valid in my experience. I have spoken about the negative reviews to multiple colleagues and they don't get it either. I had to come back here to post. I am not in HR and this is a real review.

Cons

Retirement plan not the best (but better pay offsets this)
    Working Saturdays aren't a big deal, many companies have you do this at times and don't give you the time back like MSD does.
    I just sat here for several minutes thinking about it, and I can't think of anything else.

Advice to Management

Thank you for creating a thoughtful work environment, evolved leadership, and for rewarding your successful employees.

"I'd prefer to be attacked by a tiger than to work another day at MSD."

Former Employee - Research Associate in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at Meso Scale Discovery (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone bonds about complaining about the leadership, management, terrible building, frustrating work environment, heavy work load, lack of respect and sadness at the number of people who quit.

If you want to work at a 1950s factory where you sit next to a lab bench, are expected to work overtime but are told "don't use your overtime, it will reflect badly on me" by your boss then MSD is the place for you!

Cons

While working here I was attacked by a tiger. No wait, that would have been preferable to working at MSD. MSD < Tiger attack.

I joined to work in a particular an R&D Department. After my first few weeks my trainer and co-worker quit. Then my boss quit. So I got moved to a different team and then my new trainer and co-worker quit. So we hired a new replacement employee who quit after 4 weeks. Next we had 3 other team members quit. More than 10 of my 15 person R&D Team quit within a year, with 4 of those being direct team-members of myself.

Advice to Management

How much does it cost to replace so many people?! You would think that they are spending more money than salaries on just the number of people this company loses! It's frustrating to work in an enviroment where you are considered and expected to leave. Even the VP of the R&D team left after less than 2 years.

Given this lack of strategic engagement and planning you really have to wonder why where this company is going. They have no sense of understanding what the pros and cons of any decision are.

"Management creating reviews to offset negative reviews"

I worked at Meso Scale Discovery full-time

Pros

You will never run out of work to do. Pay is average, shop around and you can find a better offer. But if this is your first job, this might be your best option for the time being.

Cons

Management is oppressive. Egos run high within the ranks and although there have been positive reviews recently, this is just another example of the toxic management at MSD by generating false reviews.

Advice to Management

Fix the work culture, put employee health before company profits.