Message Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Phillip Merrick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"So far so good!"

I have been working at Message Systems full-time

Pros

Good benefits: 401k, medical, dental & vision, catered lunches, snacks, every holiday off, etc. The people you work with are great and genuinely want to do a good job. Everyone I've seen works together by helping each other. This company also fosters learning and promoting from within, which is something most companies boast about but never actually do.

Cons

Sometimes departments seem disjointed, more communication between departments would help. Communication is an issue anywhere you work so I don't really count this as a huge con.

Advice to Management

Really compared to other companies I've worked for, working for Message Systems/SparkPost was been a breath of fresh air. Work on communication, but really I don't see many flaws. Keep up the good work!

"Couldn't be more pleased"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The last company I worked at was a nightmare. I felt pressured to stay after hours, was constantly worried about being fired because no one was hitting our ridiculous quota goals, and always felt like what I was doing was never good enough. Coming to SparkPost has been the complete opposite. Not only have I not felt any instability, pressure, or put down, there is a family vibe here. Everyone I work with is so down to earth and humble. Compared to my last role, I have been praised for my hard work, even by our CEO, and have been promoted since my time here. I've also never had a more supportive boss who constantly gives feedback, re-assurance, and wants me to do well and succeed. It has truly felt like a dream come true to come to a company, get promoted, and feel like what i'm doing is making a difference and that my hard work is being acknowledged! It's also exciting to see the success we've had this past quarter. I would definitely recommend working here.

Cons

We could have more outings/ team bonding opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within!

"Awesome! One of the best places I have ever worked!"

Pros

Wonderful culture, great technology that works, reference-able customer base, team focused, great management team

Cons

There is a need to more effectively get the word out about the name change from Message Systems to SparkPost to help generate leads

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Time to leave"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The underlying technology is very impressive and a lot of fun to work with. Working with peers is great, their is good interaction and it is a fun environment on day-to-day basis.

Cons

Management seems overly impressed with the technology and now that we are cloud provider this is less important. Management seems to believe their own hype about the advantages provided by Momentum really translates into an advantage in the cloud service. But the advantages are not as big as management thinks and it shows in the sagging sales numbers.
    The bigger issue i have working here is the passive aggressive treatment of you when you make the case for promotion/raises. They tend to low ball your offer and promise to review in 6 months after they know you. When you bring this up later, their is ALWAYS a reason why now is not a good time to discuss it. Often times promotions are provided with little to no raise in salary. I know people that made it to VP with little or no raise. Another approach is to award a presidents club trip in lieu of a raise.
    Now the transition to cloud is going terribly. They decided to chase the freemium market, when the top 3 players have either left the space or moved focus from the low end of the market. The worst move was courting Mandrill customers when mailchimp abandoned the market. That gave SparkPost a ton of new spammers and has tanked the clouds deliverability. (Note the technology, predictably, did not solve the problem with spammers.) Their goal for profitability next year will only be achieved through large scale layoffs.
    I’m leaving and I would not recommend joining.

Advice to Management

Be honest about raises and quit stringing people along.

"I actually like my job"

Pros

You get paid to learn and are offered plenty of room for growth. Coworkers are respectful and helpful.

Cons

Engineers have a lot of responsibility; new features, support, QA, on-call duty. This isn't always a "con" though, since it offers variety, which I personally like.

6. "A work in progress"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Message Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong collaborative environment and great open door policy with executive management. Great opportunities for advancement. Great customer relationships.

Cons

Although subsequent to my time there I think they have improved, but when I was there top level vision with executable strategy was a work in progress. The original founder was the CEO while I was there and is one of the smartest people I know, and someone I have a great deal of respect for, but the organization had grown beyond his leadership capabilities. It is a credit to him that it grew to the size it had but it was past time for the organization to hire a CEO to grow the company to the next level. I understand this has now happened, but I have no experience with the new CEO.

Advice to Management

Continue on your path to focus on market opportunities inline with your core competency.

"Passion, Talent, HARD WORK...and a nice place to be"

I have been working at Message Systems full-time

Pros

Executive management has put us in a very strong position in the industry with a great product and empowerment to make deals happen. Everyone has a voice that is heard at the highest levels of the company and no effective idea gets dismissed. There's a long list of positives in working with this organization that far outweigh any of the cons

Cons

As with any company there are a few team members with an agenda that can cloud the way of some goals.

Advice to Management

Continue innovating both at the product level and the team interaction level. Keep listening to your teams as you have been and that delicate balance of people and the goals and we will continue to succeed in this space.

"Nothing's perfect"

Current Employee - Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Message Systems full-time

Pros

Speaking as an engineer, this is a good place to be if you like the technology stack and the cloud space. Most of the people you work with are supportive and bright. The company is pretty stable and is typically growing. Overall it's a good place to work, but don't expect everything to be smooth sailing.

Cons

The company expects you to be 'all in' on their cloud offering, but those of us who aren't directly involved in that offering are being sidelined instead of being offered opportunities to participate in sparkpost. Senior management is in an echo chamber and has grown tone-deaf to their own messaging and to employee needs.

Advice to Management

'Ask us anything' has become 'say no to anything', none of the feedback we give seems to be honestly considered by the people at the top. You need to actually process employee complaints and listen to what we want if you want people to stay here long term. Having an all hands meeting where you respond to a glassdoor comment saying that you encourage people to spam glassdoor with positive reviews by telling everyone to go on glassdoor with positive reviews is just the latest example of how you're filtering out negative feedback and hearing only what you want to hear.

"A disciplined and motivated group"

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been in the workforce for almost 20 years now; I've worked for a number of companies, big and small. Message Systems has been one of the best work experiences I've had not only in recent memory, but over the span of my career. A few of the highlights: it's hard to find a company where most everyone is marching to the beat of the same drum. There are disputes and arguments, we're human, not cyborg, but for the most part it's a singular vision that keeps us aligned and focused. There's very little ego, it exists but it isn't the norm, rather the exception and minimal at that. The company is chalk full of industry experts that are enthusiastic about the space, eager to make the world, our industry and the company a better place by being gracious with their knowledge and time. Message Systems is on the cutting edge of email and messaging technology; the world's biggest senders use some flavor of Message Systems to power their email. The Leadership team is infinitely approachable and will listen to the wildest of ideas without judgement. Decisions are not made in a vacuum nor are they the result of knee jerk reactions. Basically, this team approaches the job of sending the world's email enthusiastically, collaboratively and professionally which makes coming to work a rare pleasure.

Cons

There's a lot of work to be done. In some ways being in a small market with a very finite set of competitors means there's pressure to succeed. The company could use more engineers to move the job of innovation forward faster. Additionally there are some skill set holes that need to be filled which are still missing. As with most successful companies, there's lots of work to be done and not enough hands to till the soil.

"Super challenging, lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Message Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Message Systems has embraced the SaaS model and even changed its name to SparkPost. The growth in the company in the last year has been nothing short of extraordinary. In the last year we have signed on some big names on our cloud platform and hired some amazing people which makes for a fun and exciting place to work - its good to be at a company that is constantly growing. Every day you are challenged and there are new opportunities. A strong culture built on teamwork, transparency, respect, and technical excellence. The monthly all-hands are very informative. Hackathons are a lot of fun. Low turnover in the last year or so. Promote from within is the rule though you have to work for it and a lot is expected of people here.

Cons

There is still a lot to be figured out as we grow so you have to be prepared to change the status quo on a daily basis. Some people may not deal well in a changing environment, though the people here are very supportive.

Advice to Management

The direction of the last year has definitely been fantastic. Continue to reassess periodically and make adjustments.