MetLife Reviews in Tampa, FL | Glassdoor

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

"Loyal Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at MetLife full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for MetLife for 22 yrs and have gone through several changes with the company. The benefits were great. Most people were great to work for/with.

Cons

In the later yrs with the company the management didn't seem to care about their employees.

Advice to Management

If your employees are shown they are appreciated they will be happy to do whatever is asked of them. And if the employee is happy the customer is surely to be happier.

"No care at all for employees"

Current Employee - Client Service Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Client Service Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MetLife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

Doing other people's work
    No clear direction of roles
    Unrealistic expectations

Advice to Management

Care just as much about your employees as you do about your customers.

"IDI Claims Specialist"

Current Employee - IDI Claims Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - IDI Claims Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MetLife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love their flexible work schedule, work/life balance, team work atmosphere, approachable management, excellent work-site and facilities, amenities like their fantastic cafeteria and fitness center, and positive work environment. Compensates well relative to type of work involved.

Cons

Heavy workload and often stressful with time deadlines to meet continuously. Not too bad overall.

Advice to Management

Continue to be approachable and provide positive feedback during task completion.

"Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at MetLife full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Most management in Finance is fair and understanding

Cons

Long hours are expected at month end

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the ones who shuffle the paper. They know what works and what doesn't

"Acquired but slowly moving"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at MetLife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Massive brand recognition and company has been around a long time.

Cons

Brand gone in acquisition efforts now named Brighthouse financial, not sure who's bright idea that was but customers sure are not happy about it neither are long term clients.

Advice to Management

They let too many people go while the work tripled and had new people start that have no background in processing times effeciently and taking care of the customers first. It's a complete cluster!

"business procedures consultant"

Current Employee - Business Procedures Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Business Procedures Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MetLife (More than a year)

Pros

very laid back company. very nice

Cons

no growth. everyone always crying about not getting a promotion

"Worst Job Ever - And That Says A Lot After Over 15 Years In The Field"

Former Employee - CPSC Sales - At-Home in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - CPSC Sales - At-Home in Tampa, FL

I worked at MetLife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home? (Might as well be in a North Korean call center...)

Cons

Micromanagement from Hell (like having to 'clock out' in order to the bathroom in an at-home position) - and pretty much everything else.

Failure to abide by agreements, shirking responsibility, trying not to pay you.

No one listens to your feedback.

Rates are not adequate (laughable, actually) in many places.

Underwriting is ludicrous.

Call (sales opportunity) distribution holds down new salespeople. You will receive plenty of service calls that need to be transferred, which means you go to the back of the queue despite not having an opportunity to sell - BUT IT COUNTS.

Service that sends people to sales because they do not want to (or do not know how to) deal with certain service calls - a lot of ticked-off people who yell at you for nothing you did AND you lose a sales opportunity.

Too many meetings about nothing.

Management who doesn't 'get it'.

Lots of office politics even though you work from home.

I can go on.

Advice to Management

Too much to say on this website - but there is a reason they had to have an emergency meeting when people left in droves.

I pray that things have changed substantially.

"Concerns About the Future"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MetLife full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many associates have been with MetLife a long time and know their business and roles.
    Very open to minorities and veterans; have several groups for those associates and their allies.
    Some signs that the company is trying to modernize their application platforms with newer technology.
    Great medical benefits and good 401K matching.
    Three personal days for emergencies in addition to paid time off (paid time off based on level and years of service).
    CEO has a great work history, great grasp on the issues impacting the company, and communicates effectively when communications are shared.

Cons

MetLife has publicly announced that they will be reducing costs by $1 billion by 2019 and this will include staffing cuts. Applications for employment have to be approved by senior leadership and they are becoming harder to approve (less mobility if you are an employee). This is the one reason why I would not recommend MetLife to a friend.

The Finance Department in Tampa has a really bad reputation for burning out employees and not promoting associates who stay. Raises are minimal. Most associates receive a significant increase in pay after finding employment in other companies.

Advice to Management

MetLife has a great reputation and lots of great talent. With all the negative information in the press about the challenges facing MetLife (the interest rate environment making it difficult to make profits from investments, separation of the retail operation to Brighthouse Financial) they should try to retain the talent they have by letting people know about their job prospects before a lot of people leave the company due to fear.

MetLife Response

Oct 24, 2016 – Global Talent Acquisition Team

Change is rarely easy and so we are especially glad you took the time to write this thoughtful review. We appreciate your observations and feedback. We're listening! And we will continue to ... More

"Not Recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Tampa, FL

Pros

I have met some great people and many have moved on to greener pastures. I am able to pay my bills with my current salary

Cons

Nepotism and dishonesty. Some managers are good though they seem to leave, others don't understand the environment worker bees are stuck in and they act more like high schoolers than managers. Difficult to take time off. On Glassdoor, MetLife responds to negative reviews by just saying that the company is undergoing change and refers employees to an online learning tool to help manage workloads. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. The culture is fear, the environment is toxic and the company is on a downward trend.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to listen to employees and customers and focus on finding solutions. Don't just sweep negative feedback under the rug.

"I have been with MetLife quite a while."

Current Employee - Field Service Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Field Service Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MetLife full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and paid time off. I would say it's standard to other companies I've been with in the past. Typical corporate America benefits.

Cons

If you take time off, management makes you pay the price. Also, the management does not know how to manage in my area. They are unsupportive. They are quick to discard their most productive employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who actually do the work. Do not micromanage your best employees. It's bad form.

Showing 74 of 2,350 reviews