MetLife Reviews in Tampa, FL | Glassdoor

1. "Review"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at MetLife full-time

Pros

I had a great 10 years with Metlife

Cons

Management expectations were unrealistic

"It is true about layoffs"

Current Employee - STD Claim Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - STD Claim Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MetLife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime and there are always jobs open in Tampa. The campus is also lovely and you get to work from home

Cons

The gym is not free, managers can come off as rude, they lied to employees. The elevators are scary to ride in. The employee committee is awful and no one partakes in any activities

Advice to Management

Don’t lie to your applicants. Give everyone a fair chance and make new managers have a mentor and take management classes.

"Decent, not great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at MetLife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules. Benefits are solid

Cons

Low pay. Company organization is lacking.

Advice to Management

Get a better business model.

4. "Prepare to be ignored if you are a top performer and babied if you are a low performer"

Current Contractor - Call Center Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Contractor - Call Center Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MetLife as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Being contracted means you don't get put on warning for taking an absence that wasn't approved 6 months prior.

Cons

Department unit leaders complain about their workload yet only recognize and praise low producers. People who can't spell and have no grammar skills are documenting information into a system that can potentially be subpoenaed in a court of law but no one cares. Lots of misinformation for "how it's done" with very little support to learn. They treat service employees like cattle and move them to whichever farm they choose, whenever they choose and the employee gets told last. I've watched people get switched to other teams all the time with no warning. Expect to have no breathing time. If you're not on the phones taking calls, you are expected to work claims. Service representatives get treated horribly and have to answer as to their actions every minute- if they go to the bathroom too long, they'll send someone looking for them. Been asked to go look for someone myself.

Advice to Management

Look. Observe. Take a minute out of not caring and recognize those doing excellent work and deal with those who've been here for way too long not to know better. No one care if they make mistakes because it's their call stats- how fast do they answer phones, how fast are they available and how quickly they get done with inventory that's cared about. There is absolutely no quality in the work being done.

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - TAM Department in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - TAM Department in Tampa, FL

I worked at MetLife full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MetLife has good benefits and good pay

Cons

Not a professional atmosphere, low moral, lots of negativity and cursing in the office, leaders have never been in leadership training or development because it's not available to them, there is not much training unless you get lucky to get to go through the entire 6 week program but if a sudden project comes up they will pull you out of training early and "throw you to the wolves" and expect you to be just as good as those who went through complete training.

Advice to Management

Add more training that is mandatory to complete and also leadership development program, be more encouraging instead of discouraging to employees, and when senior management or CEO comes, introduce them to teams.

6. "Good Company to Work For"

Current Employee - STD Claims Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - STD Claims Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MetLife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great benefits, and relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Work load can be difficult to manage at times.

"TAM Coordinator"

I worked at MetLife full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Newer work stations and easy commute.

Cons

Poor management, lack of career opportunities.

8. "Support Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Support Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative Support Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MetLife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, 401k, possibility of yearly bonuses. Flexible with schedule and days off as well.

Cons

So much work that its often hard for management to connect with the team.

"Reliable employer for long-term employment"

Former Employee - Commissions Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Commissions Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at MetLife full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is a giant in the insurance industry and is extremely secure as long as your job isn't off shored to India. They have supportive teams that are friendly and easy to work with. Each department has their own fun events to foster team work. They also supported my continuing education through tuition reimbursement. I am forever grateful for that opportunity and the opportunity to learn new systems and programs. Work Life balance was decent and flexible, at least in my department. The people were always nice. I still miss many of the people. Very low drama and relaxed compared to other places.

Cons

Once I was done with my degree, I couldn't get promoted or transfer to another department for more pay because it wasn't financed based. It didn't matter that I knew the systems and processes. The internal recruitment team looks for keywords and specific degrees instead of considering the talent and capability to learn. So, in order to make more money, I had to leave. It was very disappointing that I could not find a higher position within the company. The career path is difficult at MetLife. Some people stay in their role for 20 to 30 years. Compensation is on the low side, but the benefits do help offset it. When I asked for a raise once, I was told I was at the 105 percentile of my position range. I call BS. Management can be stingy on helping you out, so take advantage of thing like tuition reimbursement if your manager approves it.

Advice to Management

Try to keep your talented learners regardless of their major. I'm now making almost three times my old salary am pursuing my MBA.
    Get rid of the rating system and the forced curve.
    I love the new logo and re-brand. This was overdue, and I'm glad to see it has happened.

10. "Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at MetLife full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, great benefits and PTO time.

Cons

New department so not a lot of job security. Difficult to move up within company.

Showing 87 of 2,781 reviews