Metagenics Reviews | Glassdoor

Metagenics Reviews

Updated 13 Nov 2019

Metagenics CEO Brent Eck (no image)
Brent Eck
Pros
  • "Great products, and company has some cool perks like employee product allowance, early-close Fridays during the summer, and great coworkers(in 6 reviews)

• "Good benefits fair salaries and an overall good place to work(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Need to work on creating a work life balance for employees(in 5 reviews)

• "There seems to be a perception by senior management that the only way to grow the company is to mimic the path of much bigger companies(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Part Time Associate in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Metagenics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great group of people, good culture and balance, forward-thinking CEO.

Cons

No cons and no complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep being focused on your employees and the rest of the business runs itself, in a manner of speaking.

Metagenics2019-08-16
  2. "Great Company with excellent management and CEO"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Metagenics full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The CEO is dynamic and is very proactive - Upper Management is easily approachable - help employees grow and improve - Good benefits - Very good work culture

Cons

- Time off is limited, especially in initial years

Metagenics2019-11-13

"If you want people to dress professionally then start paying a professional wage!"

Former Employee - Buyer in Gig Harbor, WA

I worked at Metagenics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They offer a great benefits package

Cons

It use to feel like a family now you're just a number. The CEO is a joke! I'm pretty sure he does what's best for his wallet and not the company.

Advice to Management

Go back to the roots and run things like when Dr. Jeff Bland called the shots!

Metagenics2019-10-23

"Terrible C-Suite, Great People"

I worked at Metagenics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The only reason I am giving this two stars is because of the fantastic people who work there, and the quality of products they make. I could not have enjoyed working with my co-workers more than I did. Especially the Gig Harbor employees.

Cons

The CEO is categorically terrible. He frequently drops down to micro manage employees at all levels and is condescending and belittling when he does. He has zero interpersonal skills and is completely unable to relate his employees. He overworks his staff, yells, and fires people who offer any kind of feed back or critique. He has laid off practically all of his inherited leadership, some who had been with the... company since it was founded and were beloved employees. These layoffs typically come in waves and are wide ranging. If you are one of his inner circle your fine; that is until you do something he disapproves of. He throws tantrums, vacillates on major projects , and has completely unrealistic of what a normal work schedule looks like. My experiences with him were objectively awful. His personality and work style have a negative effect on the entire company.

Metagenics2019-09-10

"Management Needs Help...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Metagenics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people Good benefits Good products Good environment

Cons

Senior Management is Terrible! Long hours and you get reprimanded if things aren't going their way

Advice to Management

Management is out of touch with their employees. The CEO is disengaged with employees and won't speak or look at them. They take NO suggestions from anyone, just as long as they collect their FAT checks. If you are in the "in crowd" with Management, then all is golden.

Metagenics2019-05-20

"Poor Leadership, Struggling Industry, Volatile CEO"

Former Employee - Manager, Marketing in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Metagenics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is floundering and the "new" CEO is constantly changing the focus and direction as he tries to figure out how to reinvent the company. Best thing about the whole place is that during the summer you can leave at 2pm on Friday.

Cons

Really, really poor management. People are promoted based not on their skill set but on CEO's preference (which changes daily with his moods and temper tantrums) or their friendships. It's not uncommon to find someone without any functional experience in a job they are truly unsuited for, or to have a solid employee eliminated and replaced with an individual with a previous relationship with the CEO. For the... record, I am not a disgruntled employee, and I had a fairly positive experience during my tenure with the company, but I was shocked by the disrespect and cruelty shown to middle management by the C-suite, as well as the fickle nature of senior management (it felt like they were changing the direction of the "ship" every two days.) Culture comes top-down and no amount of work perks can change the toxic nature of that environment. While I had pretty good run, I watched many colleagues suffer as a direct result of poor management decisions. I can't count the number of times I've watched the CEO behave in a volatile and unprofessional manner.

Advice to Management

Since the company is struggling in the current market, and the CEO's behavior is unpredictable, which leads to instability throughout the entire management chain, I'd suggest Amway clean house. I

Metagenics2019-05-31

"This place is a joke!"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Gig Harbor, WA

I worked at Metagenics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Not working there any more

Cons

Everything. all employees especially mangement backstab you. Management is allowed to say certain things but if you do you get in trouble if you challenge them then they fire you. This company was great at first but has quickly gone downhill.

Advice to Management

Be managers

Metagenics2019-04-12

"Great Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Metagenics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Great pay. Amazing products.

Cons

Timed inbound calls some time take longer than expected.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Metagenics2019-02-02

"Great company"

Former Employee - Packaging Specialist in Gig Harbor, WA

I worked at Metagenics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fair and consistent, good perks and bonuses, generally nice managers, great place to work and stay healthy.

Cons

My boss was a very difficult micro-manager and controlling, but generally everyone there is fair, consistent and friendly.

Metagenics2019-01-02

"You are just a number!"

I worked at Metagenics full-time

Pros

Well if you are a temp they will love you! They don't have to give you health insurance, sick/vacation time or 401k.

Cons

Well they just laid off 8 permanent long term employees in Oct to replace with temps. No loyalty and nobody's job there is safe.

Advice to Management

Quit playing favorites and advertising new job openings when you just had a layoff. They thought they could replace long term experience with temps. Big mistake they are quiting faster than they can replace them. That's corporate America for you. Trying to safe a buck to show the board members.

Metagenics2018-12-08