Metagenics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Brent Eck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great products, and company has some cool perks like employee product allowance, early-close Fridays during the summer, and great coworkers" (in 6 reviews)

• "Good benefits fair salaries and an overall good place to work" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Need to work on creating a work life balance for employees" (in 4 reviews)

• "Improvements in the culture still need to be made" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Pleasant experience"

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Metagenics is big on employee benefits and workplace culture. It is a good place to grow as a professional with both lateral and vertical career opportunities. I work on the corporate side and people are educated, positive and laid back. The work hours are flexible enough and work life balance is great. I love the summer hours, four months of Fridays ending at 2pm. The business is strong, going in the right direction with the mission statement that is easy to get behind.

Cons

Specific departments seem slightly overworked, could use some extra hands here and there. Some systems and software seem outdated, and interdepartmental communication is lacking at times. Not enough vacation days.

Advice to Management

Think about following the European model and increase vacation days to at least 20 days excluding Holidays.

"Great place to work with good formulations"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Metagenics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with a great mission. My daily work was fulfilling and I knew that I was contributing to helping improve patient's lives.

Cons

Constant changes in comp plan and product emphasis. It was hard to stay focused when things were constantly changing. Very competitive market and we were typically the highest price point so that was sometimes a tricky sell. Luckily we have a good value proposition

3. "Thought this was a good job at first< quickly realized it was not. Ask anyone"

Current Employee - Production Worker in Gig Harbor, WA
    Current Employee - Production Worker in Gig Harbor, WA

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rex Ryan is a wonderful boss in the production department. He takes the time to listen to concerns, and is very approachable.

Cons

The compensation dosen't match the work that's expected of you! most all of production workers struggle to pay there bills and eat a decent meal. The turnover rate is ridiculous and management dosen't seem to care. If they paid what there employees deserve they would be more successful! I would never recommend someone to work there

Advice to Management

Morale is low at Metagenics! The turnover PROBLEM can be fixed by paying more! that simple.

"Incredible products sad story about the buyout."

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Metagenics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great people & incredible science, unparalleled

Cons

big business now, but used to be small company with creative momentum! all heart!

Advice to Management

hire kind hearted people who are also good at their jobs!

"Motivating Workplace Cluture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Metagenics for a number of years and had the chance to experience new leadership teams, programs, strategies, and initiatives. It feels like we are in our moment and have hit the sweet spot on employee engagement, sientific innovation, creating a culture of belonging and a culture and caring for one another. We are all passionate about Metagenics’ purpose, to help people live happier healthier lives, and our executive leaders and their teams instill this same purpose in how they support the company and all of us Metagenics employees. The company provides amazing wellness programs, from basic education to product allowances, all the way to comprehensive nutritional physicals and nutritional programs. We have excellent benefits and our compensation is fair and competitive. Every employee is given an opportunity to shine and as a result we have developed some great operating procedures, team environments, and amazing science is taking place everyday. We have the most awesome culture around!

Cons

Everyone’s voice is heard at Metagenics and we are all busy working on a number of new and existing projects. As a result of considering so many new ideas, sometimes our aspirations seem to be greater than the amount of resources we have available to dedicate to new ideas and projects. The vibe is amazing but we may need to slow down just to take a breather every now and then. Work is rewarding but it can be exhausting. If we slow down and have more time to tell our stories, share what we are working on, share our stories, then we would all have a better understanding of what our colleagues are doing and know how we can help contribute in the most effective way.

6. "A disapointing experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Metagenics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free shakes in the kitchen. A nice group of people to work with. Good discounts on products. Casual dress code.

Cons

Lack of experienced management. The people being promoted lack the basic understanding and experience of the job requirements.

Advice to Management

None as management only listens to people looking for personal advancement not for what is best for the company and what would help everyone. Very sad situation. Metagenics could be a great company with the right people in management positions.

"Great products. No employee development"

I worked at Metagenics full-time

Pros

Well researched and designed products. Best quality and research in the industry.

Cons

Complete lack of employee development. Intolerance to working from home.

8. "poor leadership"

I worked at Metagenics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice office, fruit delivered for employees, onsite gym

Cons

work-life balance is horrible, poor leadership- do not invest in people development and put people in managerial/director positions on a leap of faith and no offer to develop them professionally. The CEO is new to the business and lacks core understanding for effective realistic customer focused strategy that will drive growth for customers and the company. Products are more expensive than competition and spend money in areas that aren't important to majority of their customers. Need better product pipeline in growth areas and not stick to me-too products. Label and branding changes too frequent, confusing to customer and patient. Way too many priorities that change constantly/too frequently. Very political work environment.

Advice to Management

Invest in your managers as they lack leadership. Be less focused on the n umber of hours someone works but rather their productivity. Have more flexible work-home-life balance policies that are consistent across the organization, not just at the department level.

9. "Best company I've worked for (out of 5)"

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere and environment is best I've ever been in. Good perks, nice people and a company profile you can be proud of. From what I see, the work-life balance and professional opportunities are great. I couldn't be happier here.

Cons

There's some leniency towards underperformers.

Advice to Management

Increase IT staff, have more social events.

"Well-positioned company and good people"

I have been working at Metagenics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products, and company has some cool perks like employee product allowance, early-close Fridays during the summer, and great coworkers. Company is large enough to have some good programs, but not so big you get lost in a huge corporation.

Cons

Some of the growth the company has experienced comes with a need to create more structure. This is both a good and a bad thing, as things will likely continue to change somewhat.