Metal Building Components Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Norm Chambers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place if you desperately need a job"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Metal Building Components full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefits and overtime is available. Good place if you want to learn about the metal industry if you have no experience.

Cons

Management does not like to promote within. Work conditions are rough and not for the weak hearted. Management does not like to listen to their employees

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and promote within.

"Inside Sales positions with MBCI"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Coordinator in Hernando, MS
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Coordinator in Hernando, MS

I worked at Metal Building Components full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MBCI has a strong focus on training and keeping their sales personnel well informed and expert with their products and industry. I learned more about metal roofing and components here than I ever imagined. They provide excellent opportunities for growth and entry into the industry. It is without question the best FIRST job one could have in the steel building components industry. The benefits are excellent and the company demonstrates a genuine interest in supporting employee health and safety. There is a strong sense of team and a shared desire to help one another.

Cons

MBCI wants to own its employees. If your priority isn't company before all else (and yes, I mean your spouse, children, and sainted mother hold a lower position to your job). This lends itself to a culture that tends to view employees somewhat mechanistically. You are a cog in a machine and it is never left to your imagination that you are replaceable. They truly hate giving raises that are worth receiving. In four years, I received raises amounting to roughly $1 per hour. Finally, their strongest pro, the trianing, is not coupled with and equal devotion to retention.

Advice to Management

Be more generous with raises, and focus on retention. Tremendous resources are focused on training, this is excellent, match those efforts with attempts to retain veterans and decrease work stresses.

"Don't Do It"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelbyville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelbyville, IN

I worked at Metal Building Components (Less than a year)

Pros

There were no pros about working for this company

Cons

Management doesn't care about employees

"Sr. Electronics Technician"

Former Employee - Senior Electronic Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Electronic Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Metal Building Components full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The camaraderie was quite nice. Being part of the manufacturing / Technical section we traveled when necessary and was paid quite nicely.

Cons

There was some travel that was required.

"Ugh....."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Metal Building Components (More than a year)

Pros

Well, they're big.?.?.?... The biggest...

Cons

TOXIC culture. Going to work here is like traveling back in time.

"Inside sale coordinator"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Atwater, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Atwater, CA

I worked at Metal Building Components full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your job is very consistent and you never have to worry about losing your job cause they will never fire anyone for poor performance and your will always have overtime year round.

Cons

Very understaffed and pushed way to hard to do unrealistic numbers and when those numbers are achieved they raise the numbers and tell you there not good enough. The pay is not competitive the only way you make good money is by being here all the time. The plant refuses to do big orders even though your being pushed by your boss to get those orders. No nobody wants to work together and there is a lot of that's not my job and absolutely no help from upper managment. All they care about is the numbers and don't care about making a system that works.

Advice to Management

Managment needs to work a couple days in the little people's shoes and see all the problems we have and fix them. It is all issues that can easy be fixed but they don't want to waste there time making a system the workers efficiently.

"Cost Accountant and Reporting Manager"

Former Employee - Cost Accountant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cost Accountant in Houston, TX

I worked at Metal Building Components full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were many good people there. I enjoyed my coworkers and the type of work that I was doing. That is all.

Cons

The expectation was that salaried employees were to work 60 hours per even if the workload did not support that many hours. I was told that I could not leave at the end of the day until I asked and was granted permission to do so. The attitude was, "No one goes home until everyone goes home".

Advice to Management

Respect people and realize that they are humans with lives outside of work. Employees are not disposable tools.

"No advancement. Pretty much just keep your mouth shut and don't voice your opinion on anything. Also, heater kept on 80"

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Metal Building Components full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment to work in.

Cons

It is very hot inside of the building. Honestly I feel like I might pass out some days.

Advice to Management

Let employees voice opinion and have a backbone.

"a great place for the right person"

Former Employee - Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Metal Building Components full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of the people who actually work here become like family

Cons

Way to much micro managing. To much forwarding of emails by management to avoid responsibility. Good Ole boy company...too many managers and not enough of the good people who actually work.

Advice to Management

As for advice. Dangerously close to losing great customers to the fact managers are glorified delegators who don't want to help, but only complain to those who are actually selling and servicing the customers. Your "title" doesn't earn you respect you think you deserve. People don't follow titles , they follow action.

"Horrible work environment. Lots of internal politics. Lack of executive integrity."

Former Employee - Credit Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Credit Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Metal Building Components full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. Dominant player in their space.

Cons

Executives lack integrity. Lots of internal politics. Company has love/hate relationship with customers and vendors. Competitors have an easy time picking them off.

Advice to Management

Sell the company and replace the entire management staff.