Metal Exchange Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place"

Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Metal Exchange Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

The People. Great management. I worked here for 3 years. I still miss the culture at this great company. They hire talented people and they are constantly growing.

Cons

It can be a tough industry. The metals business is cyclical and the company had their first layoffs last year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Pennex ! Stay away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dillsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dillsburg, PA

I have been working at Metal Exchange Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a pay check. But I definitely don’t recommend. They have very high turnover and they don’t pay living wages for the work that you do.

Cons

Hot! Hot! Work 7 12 hour days then have off 7. It gets to be on some days 120 degrees! They should pay more money for the work that you do and the environment that you have to work in.

Advice to Management

Pay more money! You expect people to stay for $13.50 and work in unbelievable heat and long hours and stay with your company? This is why you have such a high turn over.

3. "Great Place To Be"

I have been working at Metal Exchange Corporation full-time

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, trustworthy management, flexible schedule.

Cons

Small company, tight with financials.

Feb 23, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We strive for an engaging culture and are so glad to hear you notice it too. We are so glad you are here!

4. "international logistics coordinator"

Pros

Good Work Life balance, good co-workers, strong benefits program and laid back environment

Cons

Low pay, issue throughout entire company.

May 9, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your comments. We take pride in our culture encouraging a fun atmosphere and appreciate the recognition. We also strive to offer a robust benefits program which allows us to focus on... More

"Temporary part time employee"

Current Employee - Temporary Part Time Receptionist in Maryland Heights, MO
    Current Employee - Temporary Part Time Receptionist in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at Metal Exchange Corporation part-time

Pros

I've been working at Metal Exchange Corporation as a temporary part time employee for about 8 months now. This company is one of the best I've ever worked for. It's a friendly almost family like atmosphere with the the emphasis on getting things done in a timely manner. The team work of the emoloyees is great. My fondest wish is to work here as a permanent employee, but no one ever leaves.

Cons

I can't think of anything negative to say.

Advice to Management

From what I can see a a temporary employee Management is very good. They are all friendly and seem to address the employees problems as well motivate them with fresh ideas.

Dec 7, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for the great feedback. We are lucky to have such great employees.

6. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Metal Exchange Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Metal Exchange is a "diamond in the rough" in St. Louis. A privately held mid-sized company that is actively looking to grow but doing so while maintaining it's core values....Safety. Integrity, Respect and Drive. Leadership treats employees with respect but drives accountability in business performance. Work/life balance is better than any St. Louis company I have been with. It really feels like family here.

Cons

Business systems are not great however leadership has identified the gap and included in their key result area for 2016 and beyond. Turnover has been low (which is usually a good thing) which has stagnated improvement opportunities..."we have always done it this way" mentality. In certain areas new leadership has arrived and is starting to make changes that will improve how we manage the business.

Advice to Management

Do not hesitate to invest in new processes and systems. A lot has changed since 1974 when the company was founded. There are better, more efficient ways to operate provided leadership can commit to long-term transformational type activities.

Dec 7, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback, and recognition that our values are more than just words. In our relentless pursuit for continuous improvement, we have a number of great initiatives planned for 2017 to... More

7. "Home Office is a Very Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Business Analyst (Special Projects) in Maryland Heights, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst (Special Projects) in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at Metal Exchange Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company atmosphere. Pay within normal range for the St. Louis market. Excellent office facilities. Great location close to I-270 and Page. West Port Plaza is an excellent office venue. HR Department emphasizes wellness. Yoga classes occur during the week for employee's off time. Smart and energetic COO, but not so much so that he becomes annoying to the troops.

Cons

Very limited advancement opportunities, but this is expected in a small company. Last round of new leadership in Accounting/Finance all came from outside the company. You hope for promotions within, but that can't always be the case.

Advice to Management

Maintain the wonderfully collegial atmosphere at Metal Exchange. Keep everyone informed on how the firm is doing and don't necessarily wait for Town Halls to do it.

Dec 7, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback and your positive comments. We will continue to make communication a top priority as we move into 2017 while we look for ways to increase engagement and participation at all... More

8. "MEC is a great place to work!"

Pros

I've been with MEC for several years and I'm disappointed to read some of the negative comments that jaded former employees have left on this website. MEC is the most family oriented company I've ever worked for and our new exec team is definitely taking us in the right direction. We have a progressive work environment, new training programs to help enhance more effective communications and team based initiatives everywhere. Best of all is that we're doing a much better job of holding people accountable, rewarding performers and addressing performance problems. I would highly recommend MEC to anyone and do.

Cons

We work in a commodity driven environment, so the markets aren't always in our favor and like with any competitive environment, change is the norm. If you're looking for a stress free job where you can just skate by doing the minimum, MEC is probably not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Keep bringing us fresh ideas and your efforts to step up communications have not gone unnoticed. Keep us in the loop and stay focused on our vision for growth.

Oct 17, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your kind words of support. We appreciate that our increased communication efforts are making a difference, and we recognize that change is difficult but also necessary in order to... More

9. "Aluminum extruder"

I worked at Metal Exchange Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Profitable company that invests in capital projects. Good safety culture

Cons

Poor pay levels in every area

Oct 17, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your comments. MEC works hard to be competitive with our pay and benefits in all areas of our business. We recognize that employees may, at times, be able to find higher paying jobs... More

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Metal Exchange Corporation full-time

Pros

This is a great company to work for. The company truly values work/life balance and it feels like a family. I feel valued every day and motivated to do my best work. Its also a very fun place to work with a management team that truly cares about its employees. The facility is beautiful and I feel like my contributions are valued and rewarded.

Cons

I can't really thin of any

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Oct 17, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your kind words of support. Ensuring that our employees continue to feel valued and engaged will continue to be critically important as the organization grows. Our commitment to MEC's... More