Metal Sales Manufacturing Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Metal Sales Manufacturing CEO Craig L. Mackin
Craig L. Mackin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good roll forming machinery, many good people (in 7 reviews)

• Hard working employees, most are over 40 and have that old style of work ethics (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management changes so frequently that it can be extremely difficult to stay within the current management system (in 8 reviews)

• The company has no written processes or procedures (in 3 reviews)

"Be very wary of this company"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Jefferson, OH
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Jefferson, OH

Pros

None that I could find can not meet their expectations because they are unreasonable

Cons

Company hired me for a driving job at 34.5 cents per mile plus 15.00 per stop got first paycheck and only got paid 10.00 per stop. They said it was a mistake and couldn't and wouldn't make it right so I got 140.00 week less then expected on my paycheck for the week. Sorry sounds like you lied to get me in your truck and showed me where they had changed my paperwork and crossed out the 15.00 and changed it to 10.00 after I had signed the paperwork. REALLY very unhonest business practice Russ Santee will sit and lie right in a meeting with the senior management sitting next to him.

Advice to Management

honestly is still the best policy if you knew you made a mistake why didn't you bring it up immediately when found why did you wait until I got paid and find it. I think you lied lied and lied some more.

"Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sellersburg, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sellersburg, IN

Pros

There are no pros. No job security is stressful and several employees are vindictive and most Managers are immature, unprofessional and not skilled enough.

Cons

No job security, favortism and bad management. Everyone is afraid of losing their job - no job security. No loyalty or teamwork amongst staff or Management.

Advice to Management

Ownership needs to monitor Sellersburg with Onsite Corporate Management and Human Resources for 1-2 years hiring new some new Managers and staff, train existing positive people who are hardworking.

"BEWARE!!! Read all of the reviews...it paints an ugly picture."

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Metal Sales Manufacturing (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are talented co-workers, that are trying to bail water on a sinking ship. They are the best thing that Metal Sales has left. The product line is very extensive.

Cons

Mackin. Mackin. Mackin. & Mackin.
    I have watched as these brothers have tried to steer this company that their father owned. It has outgrown their abilities, but they seem oblivious to it. The competition sees it.
    The employees see it.
    But most of all, the customers see it. It trickles down as a broken corporate culture with no training, extremely high turnover, and no standardized practices between branches.

Advice to Management

Sell the company, while you still have something to sell. Or, roll up your sleeves, and see what it is that your company does.
    (This one wouldn't matter anyway, because they have hired a constant flow of executives, that have told them the same thing, and they don't even last 2 years, before they are replaced, or bail the sinking ship)

"Driver"

Current Employee - Driver in Jefferson, OH
    Current Employee - Driver in Jefferson, OH

I have been working at Metal Sales Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people. 95% same stops,(not getting lost) normally decent equipment
    only work 1 or 2 Saturdays a year

Cons

No communication between different departments or between plants. Once product is on the trailer, it's NOT their problem, it's the driver's problem to deal with.
    Some driver's don't care about equipment, so if you pull a different driver's trailer, plan on fixing lights

Advice to Management

Trim the fat, pick a course and stay with it.

"Metal sales,Needs to SELL Out"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Mocksville, NC
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Mocksville, NC

I worked at Metal Sales Manufacturing (More than a year)

Pros

Decent product but not the best, a lot of quality control issues especially with the trim.

Cons

To many to list. Just ask any of the big roofing distributors of their product. Such as ABC supply,Beacon roofing or SRS.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone who can capitalize with better service and proper management skills.

"The worst place I have ever worked at"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mocksville, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mocksville, NC

I worked at Metal Sales Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was close to home and the pay was okay

Cons

The turn over rate was at 35%. Most employees don't make it past 3 yrs of working there. In the almost 3 yrs I was there, I had 3 admin managers and 4 general managers. One past GM treated all the employees like crap---he constantly belittled them, & was very nasty to the ladies in the office. The company needs a revolving door placed in it as fast as employees come and go. Management could care less about their employees or their customers. If a customer calls in and says that somethings is wrong with their order--then management automatically assumes the customer is trying to cheat them. Some customers have had to wait for over two months to receive their metal. This company can't seem to keep up with demand in the warehouse---mainly because of old machinery and the high turnover rate and constantly out of stock. Customers would be furious to get only their panels but not receive their trim or screws. Several customers have quit doing business because of that---it is not only frustrating to them but it was to me as well. The absolute worst place I have ever worked---I am glad I am no longer there. I just feel sorry for the good people still there trying to make a living. Many are being taken advantage of by having to do someone else's job while their own gets behind---and then they receive no help at all. Favoritism runs rampant in that office!

Advice to Management

Your employees are your greatest asset and should be valued as such---and without your customers, you would not be in business for very long.

"Good Questions to Ask Before Accepting a Role at MSMC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Metal Sales Manufacturing full-time

Pros

it really is a great product.

Cons

Management lacks professional context which hampers their ability to effect improvement

Advice to Management

This forum is meant to inform and not just be a sounding board for disgruntled employees. While the observations shared in other posts are not entirely inaccurate, in the spirit of the original intent of this forum please see a list of questions I wish I had asked. The answers, or reactions from interviewers when asked, should provide the context necessary to make an informed decision.

Ask about their rolling 24 month personnel turnover rate (salaried and leadership team). What are the drivers for it? How much has it improved over the past 3-5 years? Actions to address and success with those actions?

Ask about their performance development and review process for salaried and hourly employees and how those grades factor in to bonus pay. Are there objective goals to reach or are the decisions subjectively decided by leadership/ownership?

Ask about their 3 year revenue trend. Actions to continually improve?

Ask about their 3 year profit trend Actions to continually improve?

On a related note: As the parent company (Interlock) also owns a taxi company that is trying to compete with Uber, etc: Ask them how they are responding to those competitive pressures and market dynamics. Are they looking to re-legislate or are they looking to adapt their business to the market and improve? The answer is telling as to ownership's professional context and response to those pressures in other businesses

To that end: Ask where else the very hands-on brothers/ownership have worked and what type of professional context they bring as leaders of the business. (You can actually see this on their Interlock Industries website). This is really at the heart of the company's challenges.

Ask about their financial tracking/ reporting methodologies and tools; not the specific results, but the tools used to assemble the results. Interview with a GM, if you can, to gain insight on that level. It's telling just to watch the machinations necessary to garner data.

Ask who the last CEO was and how he was asked to move on (and by whom).

In the unfortunate event that a termination is necessary, how are they handled? How have the last 5 leadership team terminations been handled? Last 5 salaried terminations? There's an escalation policy. How is it applied to salaried employees?

Ask how many Presidents they have had in the last 7 years? 5 years? 3 years? What were the drivers for this change?

Ask how many VP of Regions, Finance, IT, Purchasing, Sales and HR they have had in the same time frame. What drove those changes?

Search LinkedIn or other resources and engage former employees. If you do this right, you'll receive candid and professional feedback with external context. It could be bountiful for you in making a career decision.

Ask about trends in their employee health care coverage. What was the coverage in 2013? 2014? And what changes are expected in 2015, specifically spousal coverage? This speaks to the ability to recruit the best employees and retain them long term as well as ownership's commitment to employee welfare.

Ask about the status of their ERP system upgrade (21 branches....when did they start the initial upgrade and how many branches have it now?)

Ask about their minority hiring practices (9 members of the senior leadership team; 21 branch General Managers; 75+ Territory Sales Managers. How many are minorities? How many are women?)

Leverage your professional network to understand the company's reputation as a customer/supplier/employer as well as that of the Mackin family. Engage the business community in Louisville, the Building Products market and banking/funding community. I did this AFTER the fact, unfortunately, but wish I'd done otherwise. Very telling.

In any event, there's no judgement here. These are just questions I wish I would have asked. You'll make the best decision you can. Hope this helps.

"Could be a Great company with the right management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Metal Sales Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat stable history and good financials.

Cons

No team environment. Lots of pointing fingers. Regional and Corp. management don't value the front line staff. Work/Life balance is atrocious.

Advice to Management

Make some changes in management, focus on employese, and you need the "top down" mentality on creating a team environment.

"NC Plant hard to do business with. Bad place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mocksville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mocksville, NC

I have been working at Metal Sales Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

close to home, work with a few good people other than that this has been the worst place I have ever worked. No team work, always having to finish another persons job to get mine done.

Cons

NC Plant used to work as a close team, not any more. Upper management- all seem to not care about our customers, and their needs. One customer has waited for 2 months to get over 500 Pieces of custom trim. Word has it, they are no longer doing business with us. We have lost several customers do the fact of not being able to deliver metal, but mainly trim to our customers in a timely manner, the customer will receive their metal panels, without trim, or we will not have a coil to make the metal.
    Then, we have employees who abuse the point system, always late, and leaving early with no reprimand. There is no promotion from within, one employee has been with the company for two years with no evaluation or raise. We fire our good CSR for messing up a 5,000 lb order when another CSR still has her job after messing up 5 orders of hog houses, about 45,000 lbs, yet this CSR still has her position. HMMM? Favoritism? Cronyism sure is evident in upper management. Management has changed everything the way trim opertates, using forklifts as tables ( check osha guidelines), telling one customer-" to get out of the plant, I am not running your roll valleys anytime soon." When the order was already a week late. Take my advice , if you want your metal in a timely manner, DO NOT order from NC plant, you may or may not get it. Guess we need to start looking for another job because management is seemingly driving away our customers.
    Replace the management with team oriented managers, only working as a Team from the top down will we be able to turn around the negative atmosphere in the plant.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be replaced, Owners, I hope you read this review, And come talk to the NC Team, not just Management.

"Ownership is an irrational tyrant."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA

I worked at Metal Sales Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Is was close to home. I worked with dedicated loyal people who only wanted to make the company successful and secure their futures, in spite of the lack of respect, appreciation and constant negative outlook from ownership and management.

Cons

The unrealistic expectations and demands from ownership and upper management. They ignore state labor regulations to cheat employees out of overtime pay. There is no proper training. They demonstrate lack of appreciation, no more raises or bonuses.

Advice to Management

Stop following the demands of an irrational tyrant. Learn to appreciate the hard working loyal employees and show it. Provide a better benefit package. Don't take hours from employee's PTO bank without employee authorization.