Metro Self Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
K. Blair Nagel

1. "Great Company Care About Employees!"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Largo, FL

I worked at Metro Self Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked over two years for Metro until 2008 and I have nothing but great things to say. I have worked for many property management companies and they by far care the most about employee satisfaction. The pay isn't the greatest but the job is not hard if you care! You get what you put in. I loved the variety of work at Metro office sometimes, outside picking up grounds, cleaning a unit kept you busy and I took pride in my work! If my ex-husband had not been in military and got reassigned I would have retired here!

Cons

I seen so many negative reviews on Blair Nagel he was always super nice to me and cares about the company. Do you work weekends a lot? Of course it's the industry but awesome work/life balance!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work you are a top notch employer to work for !!

2. "Fine job for a year or two"

Former Employee - Property Manager in West Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Property Manager in West Haven, CT

I worked at Metro Self Storage (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent hourly pay (expect around $15/hour), decent benefits ($3k deductible health insurance, company reimburses half after you've paid the entire deductible), respectful District Managers.

Cons

Micromanaging that seems to trickle down from the top. Company pushes upselling on merchandise. Very little room for growth.

3. "Good co. with good benefits"

Former Employee - Property Manager
    Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Metro Self Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HR and other corporate employees are professional and friendly; good benefits.

Cons

Corporate relies too much on DM's - some of whom have never run a storage facility and are only about presenting paperwork that looks good.

Advice to Management

Hire DM's who have actually managed a storage facility. Get to know the managers more and not just thru DM's.

5. "Great"

I have been working at Metro Self Storage full-time

Pros

Great Company, people, customers are amazing

Cons

Working weekends are a MUST

6. "Good company"

I have been working at Metro Self Storage full-time

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

no time for yourself at all

Advice to Management

stop watching us, what you dont know wont hurt you

7. "Self-Storage Leader"

Pros

Great training program and amazing people at all levels of business. Fantastic family/work life balance. Nice opportunity as an entry level employee. Leadership on all levels is on point and willing to help individuals at the store level with any task

Cons

the self storage business model does not provide much room for long term career advancement. Store managers/consultants are taught a multitude of skills that transfer well to any sales/customer service positions. The company provides great training to help boost a resume for career minded people

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I wish Metro Storage nothing but success and continued growth! I hope the company is as strong/stronger and successful as it was a few years back

"Property Manager"

I have been working at Metro Self Storage full-time

Pros

Leading edge of technology in Storage industry. Flexible scheduling, holidays, hours, and weekends off in some locations. Good benefits, retirement package, and management is open to ideas from all levels.

Cons

Hourly rates aren't the best in partnership locations, can be left alone from superiors if you have no problems or issues (pro and/or con)

Advice to Management

Improve benefits package for healthcare, have more realistic and attainable commission levels for stores that are at higher occupancy levels.

9. "N/A"

Pros

Their are no pros to working for this company

Cons

Blair Nagel is an arrogant sob

Advice to Management

Owners are rich snobby Lake Forest residents who treat their staff as incompetent morons.

10. "Management"

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Plant City, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Plant City, FL

I worked at Metro Self Storage (More than a year)

Pros

Great job free housing for property management flexible hours laid back

Cons

Hard work no slacking working for the money it's not just giving

"Storage Cunsultant & Property Manager"

Current Employee - Storage Consultant Property Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Storage Consultant Property Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Metro Self Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Literally...there are none besides a small paycheck. It is not worth it. Unless unemployment is your only option, this place is not for you.

Cons

Pay, Scheduled weekends and holidays and up to 8 days in a row without a day off, Never have two days off in a row, Employee Drama, lack of leadership and communication. I found cheaper health and dental insurance on my own for my family! Do not let them talk you into thinking there is ANY benefit to them. Also, they will decline all the PTO requests because there are not enough staff to cover for you. Then, later they will only let you carry over so many hrs at the end of the year and schedule these PTO days for you! You will be working every weekend and they will give you a Tuesday or Wednesday off. Not a benefit! I received a "raise" for less than .10 cents and have never had a review...this is true! LOL! They start people out on $13-$14 dollars an hour. You will work over time to try and complete the ridiculous amount of work they give to you and be told not to work over time which is "code" for "work overtime but don't think about charging the company for these hours".

Advice to Management

Hire more employees, Pay them and Listen to them...many have great ideas that will help the company. You will benefit from less turn over.