Metro Systems (VA) Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave Steinbraker

1. "MSI"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MSI is contantly evolving and growing to meet the needs of their employees. They recently changed their benefit structure to give employees with tenure additional PTO and bonuses. Executives really care about the team they are building and always have an open door policy with their employees.

Cons

The staffing industry is so competitive that it can be stressful. Hiring a lot of recruiters right out of college makes it hard to determine what someones work ethic will be like, leading to turnover when someone realizes they aren't cut out to work in such a fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

Keep advancing, growing, and rewarding your devoted employees.

"Stay away for this company at all costs"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, fun co-workers

Cons

To all upcoming college grads, STAY AWAY FROM METRO SYSTEMS. This company is evil. They will draw you in with the promise of a fun environment and the possibility to make a lot of money but its all lies. This is an organization with a CEO and VP who are in their forties overseeing a staff of recent college graduates. I swear other than three people everyone working here is under 25. Management only views you as a way to bring in money and they will quickly remove you without hesitation. Turnover is very high and they are always hiring new people because people keep leaving. In reality only three or four recruiters make the money you are promised while interviewing while the rest are forced to starve. Just stay away from this company. I regret accepting my offer everyday.

Advice to Management

View your employees as something other than money bags and show a little more respect and compassion.

3. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Infosec in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Infosec in Washington, DC

Pros

The company is a good company to work for. Flexible and understanding
    They take care of their people

Cons

Honestly there is nothing bad to say

Advice to Management

keep it up

"Former Recruiter Giving Advice"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Metro systems does not have any pros. The only pros would be the people you meet throughout your process, but you will realize that this is the most unprofessional work environment you will ever work at.

Cons

This company is a start up company with way too many issues internally than they know how to handle. You can not run a company with all recent college grads and no hierarchy. This company idolizes the larger recruiting firms, but will NEVER be able to reach their potential. Metro Systems WILL make you gain at least 15 pounds because you are sitting in a desk cold calling for the entire day. Get out while you can, this place will suck you in and spit you out a more miserable version of yourself. Many can refer to this hell hole as a slave labor.

Advice to Management

This company is garbage and so is your management. If you go to management with concerns they will not listen to you or try and help you succeed. The management is very money hungry and is not aware of how bad this company will crumble. More people quit this company than they do get hired.

"Great place to work. Fast-growing company"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard you will be rewarded. Bonuses from winning production contests and meeting quarterly goals. They have a process for recruiting down pat - if you follow the direction of management you are sure to succeed. Compensation is competitive and commissions are uncapped!

Upper management engages employees and motivates success. If you're ever having trouble and you ask for help it is always met with constructive feedback and a personalized plan for moving forward.

Opportunity for internal growth is ever-present. Since they are still a smaller firm, new positions can be created and old ones changed. They really value internal promotion and rarely hire from the outside for non-entry level roles.

Diverse group of co-workers. Fun place to work

Cons

I think that the negatives that I've felt while working for metro systems have been due to things that are outside of the company's control. In the staffing industry you deal with people and they can be unpredictable, rash, and even malicious at times. Sometimes it can be hard to motivate yourself when you can't find a good candidate or if no one answers your calls.

Again, these cons come with the industry and are not specific to Metro systems.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and get our name out there. Keep the same principals you have now when the company grows into a large firm.

"Great Career Opportunity"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Iv'e been a recruiter here for over a year. MSI offers a great opportunity to make a lot of money. Also great for career advancement. MSI is a company that is certainly headed in the right direction. It's an exciting company to work for and I plan on working here for years to come. Personally I feel very lucky to have found MSI and am very grateful for it.

For any new hire coming in, the training here has been 100 times better than my previous sales position. MSI provides you with all the tools you need to be successful. I would recommend working here to anyone that's motivated, hardworking, competitive, and focused on establishing a career in the sales world. When you're hard work starts to pay off and things start clicking it's extremely rewarding.

As far as the culture, some of my colleagues have become great friends of mine. We definitely have a lot of fun after work and the company is only going to add even more great people. There's also an atmosphere of wanting everyone to be successful.

Cons

There are difficult aspects to working here. It's definitely a grind and to be successful you need to be the type of person that shows up and works hard everyday. You will also need to have the ability to handle failure. There's a lot of ups and downs but that has more to do with the staffing industry than with MSI. It's not a perfect fit for everyone, if you don't have motivation to be successful or to be promoted and make money it's going to be difficult for you. If you want to go to work from 9-5, collect a paycheck, and then head home, this might not be the right place for you.

Advice to Management

MSI's leadership knows what it takes to be successful. The only thing I believe there should be more focus on is the hiring process of internal candidates.

"Best staffing company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) (More than a year)

Pros

Overall great company with a great culture. I’ve worked for several staffing firms and Metro Systems is a great mix of pushing you to excel but not being cut throat. If you are going to work in IT staffing I can’t think of a better place to be. Executive leadership really cares about the people and pushes you to be your best. Earnings potential is fantastic (one of the best comp plans I’ve ever seen). There are also great opportunities for advancement. A true work hard play hard place.

Cons

It is hard work. If you don’t want to put in the effort and you’re looking to make money because someone else put in the time, look elsewhere. If this is your first job you should talk to some people in the industry. Every job has ups and downs and staffing is no different. If you choose staffing Metro Systems is a great bet. Some of the management is younger (not necessarily a con) but that is what you get when you work for a company that actually provides advancement opportunities. On the plus side all of the promotions I have seen were 100% warranted, no one plays favorites, and this is rare anywhere you go.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people. As the company grows keep it as fun and accessible as it is now.

"Great Company that invest's in it's employees"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) (More than a year)

Pros

you receive excellent training and because the company is small they genuinely want you to succeed. Every person is vital to the growth of the company and you really feel that from upper management. MSI also offered the most competitive salary, commission, and bonus structure out of every staffing company that I interviewed with!

Cons

Recruiting is a grind, there are great weeks and not so great weeks. You have to find ways to stay motivated.

Advice to Management

Keep building strong company morale!

10. "Be honest with yourself********"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office, people, compensation, location.

Cons

It's not an easy industry. You have to be honest with yourself. Its a people business and you have to put effort into being successful. Not everyone is honest with how hard they want to work.

Advice to Management

Kid gloves'

11. "Contractor Turned Perm"

Former Employee - Government Contractor in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Government Contractor in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Easy communication between HR/payroll and my recruiter. Even though it was rolled out as my contract was coming to an end, they now offer medical benefits to contractors for free! I have worked through numerous agencies and would say my time with Metro Systems was one of the best experiences I've had. Interview process is extremely easy, and I wasn't kept in the dark whatsoever.

Cons

none really, my recruiter did everything he promised.