Metro Systems (VA) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 12, 2019

4.2
Dave Steinbraker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you are willing to work hard and want to make a lot of money, then this is the best place to do so" (in 6 reviews)

• "MSI offers a great opportunity to make a lot of money" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Metro Systems is nothing but a scam" (in 12 reviews)

• "Some account managers manage differently than others" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great Opportunity"

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job gave me a great opportunity right out of college. Not only am I selling to the largest companies in the US, but the management gives me the opportunity to do this 2 years out of college.

This is a sales environment, so if you want some you need to ask for it. Nothing will be given to you, but if you ask and ask and ask, they will listen if you are showing you're capable.

Cons

Being an account manager means you are there for the managers that need you whenever they need you. You might take some calls on vacation and you might have some late nights.

Advice to Management

Keep being supportive and hiring the best talent and we will succeed.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, you can make a lot of friends in their environment. Everyone is really nice and easy to get along with. They have a lot of contests to provide extra incentives for daily production. Great PTO plan for being right out of college and they grant free extra days if close to a major holiday. Solid training process. Management wants you to succeed, they will do whatever they can to help you. They really need everyone to be successful since it’s a smaller company.

Cons

The recruiter and account manager roles are both sales based positions. Everything in this industry is metrics based – more production the more success you will have. If you don’t like or want to be in a sales environment this isn’t the company for you. You really have to put in the effort to have success there, so if you don’t really want to build a career in staffing and sales I wouldn’t recommend this company. However, if you do and want to work hard their commission plan is pretty legit – since they are smaller they pay a lot more to retain more people. There are a lot of recruiters and sales reps making well over 100K.

Advice to Management

Be transparent about how sales intense the company is. It’s not just recruiting and helping people find jobs, be upfront about that.

3. "Tons of opportunity and awesome company culture!"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are willing to work hard and want to make a lot of money, then this is the best place to do so! MSI has provided multiple opportunities for me to not only grow as a professional, but to work along many hard working and competitive individuals. Colleagues have turned into friends inside and outside of the office which just makes the working environment even more exciting!

Cons

Sales/recruiting isn't easy. If working in a metrics/goal driven environment isn't what you're looking for then this probably isn't the best fit for you.

4. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Professional Recruiter in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Professional Recruiter in Washington, DC

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Metro Systems Inc. has such a fun, enjoyable work culture - makes coming to work everyday very exciting and always something to look forward to!

Cons

I have no encountered any negative impacts while working for MSI.

"“Not what these reviews claim”"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Denver, CO

I worked at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s a great first professional work experience, but it is not and should not be a long term choice. I learned a lot working here, and the benefits offered when you first start are great - 3 weeks PTO, leave early on Fridays, etc., and you learn a lot about recruiting and the tech industry. The culture is also great but I’d say at some points became uncomfortably immature at some points.

Cons

Unfortunately there were a lot of cons working here. First of all, one of the account managers I worked with (who worked at a completely different office so we always spoke over the phone) was extremely unprofessional and lost her temper constantly. It was something I never imagined in a workplace, and I began to realize she learned it from her manager, and her manager learned it from the CEO. No matter how stressful a situation is, it is not worth losing it on someone to the point that you are putting them in such a hostile environment that they feel anxiety to pick up the phone every single time you call (which was at least 10 times a day).

The CEO is manipulative and completely screwed up. I’ve heard numerous rumors about him demeaning branch managers so lower level account managers think they can take their jobs. He also doesn’t care how high the turnover rate is at his company, and at the end of the day those people were just a number and meant nothing, even if they were good, solid employees who benefited the company.

You also get paid peanuts for the amount of work you put in to get a placement, it’s actually insane. By how much work you put in and how much pressure they put on recruiters shoulders, I can’t believe I’d think of that commission scheme as any kind of incentive. And there’s no other incentives, either. There’s only one company trip and that’s pretty impossible to get on to be honest.

And by the way, if you get promoted to account management you don’t get a salary increase, just a commission increase and that says a lot since most of the account managers are completely overworked and miserable.

Also, some of the offices are falling completely apart.

Avoid it would be my advice. There are way better firms out there. I moved to a new firm and I have the most supportive managers in the world and I’m prospering here actually making a decent living while not stressing out so much over work. I’m working perm placement deals, not sketchy contracts that are hard to sell. My deals now give me at minimum $2,000 in commission, I have a ton of extra company incentives, and the same PTO/short Fridays. I make not even half the calls I used to make at Metro, plus we have a flexible schedule.

Advice to Management

Treat your recruiters like human beings? When I worked there, recruiters were treated as lesser than account managers when we are all basically the same age. Give them more incentives. Give them more flexible work hours and stop expecting them to stay late every single night, it’s work, not their entire life.

6. "Unbelievable Opportunity"

I worked at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at MSI were some of the best years of my professional career. From the beginning you are surrounded by like-minded individuals who all want to succeed and have a great time doing it. I like most kids started right out of college as a technical recruiter, and worked exceptionally hard every day and quickly moved up into an Account Manager role. This is truly an organization that rewards hard work and dedication. I won’t sugar coat it, it is hard work in a demanding environment. However nothing is ever the same, so while you are in an office all day (as a recruiter), management does various things to "shake-up" the day and you are continuously working on a variety of things to keep you engaged. You will be extremely hard pressed to find another company that has the perks of MSI in terms of PTO and Benefits. All in all it is a remarkable company.

Cons

Yes it is hard work, Yes sometimes personalities clash, but you have to remember that everyone is intertwined in performance and metrics and that is how everyone is paid, so if you don’t produce you are basically screwing up someone else’s pay, so you can understand why people sometimes get upset if you aren’t dedicated. I can honestly say that I cannot think of any negative things. Although I can say, it is sales, do your research before accepting an offer and educate yourself on the requirements for success, it’s not going to be easy, but it is attainable if you dedicate yourself to your our success and you will reap the financial rewards.

Advice to Management

It has truly been a privilege to work for Metro Systems, it is a great group of people that have all come together on the vision of success. Keep pushing the envelope and capturing market share and helping people grow both personally and professionally. I believe that the group MSI currently has and is adding is certainly able to attain and surpass the current and future goals the company has and it will be exciting to see.

7. "Great opportunity with a growing company"

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Company is rapidly growing and expanding which brings great opportunities for the employees. Management always promotes from within giving recruiters the opportunity to advance. Management interaction shows they care about you personally and developing you professionally. They offer great benefits and PTO. We also close early on Fridays throughout the entire year which is an added perk!

Cons

With all sales positions, you need to work hard to be successful. They offer you the tools; however, it’s up to the employee to use them. At times this leads to higher staff turnover.

Advice to Management

Continue to consult with employees on ways to make MSI an even better Company to work for!

8. "An organization incapable of upward mobility and positive change."

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

I worked at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of fun, fresh out of college employees and you will instantly have a great friend group.

Cons

Let me just say, the opportunity to make money at this company does exist...but only if you are one of the lucky ones they choose to gift with an Amazon account. If you are not so fortunate, you will never reach the level of success and profit that they describe in every interview or "motivational” rant you hear and will you be constantly and unfairly compared to those who were handed success(Amazon) on a silver platter. If I were to write down the cons about this organization it would be a laundry list of complaints, so instead let me give you a different perspective.
    When you leave this company you will find that any other work experience you have will be infinitely more prosperous and rewarding. Rather than be constantly micromanaged by people who are all but rooting for you to fail, you will feel supported and your work will be valued in a way that Metro Systems will never provide you. Rather than be forced to work a very specific 7:45 AM - 5:30 PM shift because there is no real end or sense of accomplishment to the work and rather than be yelled at when you are one minute late from your lunch break, you will find that your time is your own and you will in turn make better use of it and be an even more productive employee. Instead of working just to avoid being degraded by upper management you will find yourself working because you want to prove yourself and be a better employee for a company that is doing real work and making real change in the world. I have kept in touch with many friends who used to work for Metro Systems and there is not a single person who leaves this company and looks back on the work or the hostile environment with fond memories. Everyone who moves on to a new organization begins to understand what a real workplace environment should look like.
    If you’re reading this as a frustrated employee, get out now, I promise the grass is much, much greener on the other side… And if you are reading this as someone who is going through their interview process which is riddled with false promises, look elsewhere for employment.

Advice to Management

Stop openly degrading every single person that leaves the organization. All of your employees see through it and it does nothing but alienate you and make you look scared and unprofessional. No one still believes the “they just couldn’t handle the rate of attrition or the competition" excuse. It makes your current employees feel as if they’re all just pawns in a power-hungry scheme and you never truly value anyone that works there. It is incredibly transparent and your time would be better spent focusing on treating your employees with respect and fixing an incredibly broken system. There is a reason your turnover is staggeringly high and you need to look inward to solve that problem rather than continuing to spew lies about anyone that leaves just to deflect from the real issues at hand.

9. "This company has been a terrific opportunity to growth has truly been one of the best companies to work for"

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Terrific work life balance, amazing opportunity for growth, terrific company and corporate culture, great people, motivated people, compensation and room for advancement, flexible schedule, terrific benefits and PTO

Cons

Role can be repetitive

Advice to Management

Continue the model you have implemented and followed from the very start, continue to motivate and believe in your employees

10. "Fast Promotion Opportunities"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Metro Systems (VA) full-time

Pros

Growing rapidly and expanding management.

Cons

Can't think of any at the time.

Advice to Management

None.