MetroStar Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ali Reza Manouchehri

Pros
  • There are also very few places that have an open door policy with senior leadership like MetroStar has (in 3 reviews)

• You work hard / Play hard and grow as you want to (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving out of small business has growing pains, and sometimes employees out of headquarters feel removed and disconnected (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management is behind all the "overwhelmingly positive" reviews that you're reading on here (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for. They definitely invest in their employees."

Current Employee - Web Methods Developer
    Current Employee - Web Methods Developer

I have been working at MetroStar Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for learning new skills.

Cons

I have not seen any cons yet.

"Worst, most inexperienced "manager" I've ever worked for! Believe the bad reviews about upper management."

I worked at MetroStar Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the employees there are the only pros I can think of. They are very talented and hardworking and don't even complain about the long hours, last minute unrealistic deadlines and being made to come in on weekends with no respect for work/life balance. Or maybe they are too scared to complain...I was the same way while working there.
    The President is another pro, he is truly a good person/manager and cares about his employees. You can tell his teams respect him and it shows through their happiness there.

Cons

They bring their managers/directors up with NO experience managing people, maybe so that they can pay them less? Because it makes no sense for the success of the company. I experienced this first hand: an unskilled and incompetent Director who is struggling to handle their own work, let alone a teams', who is worried about their own success and not yours, who is competitive with their team members instead of building them up. With little to no communication you are expected to know what's expected of you and read your managers mind. From day one you're not set up for success, with no real training and no transition period, even though you're promised that in the interview. Proper performance reviews are never initiated and employees are never provided with constructive feedback before it is big issue. It's very transparent that these problems come directly down the ladder from the top, the CEO expects everyone to read his mind as well.
    Take your talent elsewhere, you will never be appreciated there. Most of your hard work will go towards cleaning up the mess left by the constant turnover, which is so high it's like a revolving door there.

Advice to Management

Be a great example to your managers, they are learning from you!! Provide them with management training, training and continued training! Hire the right people with the right amount of experience instead of trying to cut corners and bring people who aren't ready into a position of power. Appreciate your employees and the amount of their life that they dedicate to you and maybe a THANK YOU or positive feedback every now and then would be appreciated! People leave managers, not companies.

"A great fit for high performers!"

I have been working at MetroStar Systems full-time

Pros

MetroStar is in serious growth mode and there is so much opportunity to make an impact. You can feel the company evolving and getting better every day. It's a great place to work for those that want to be creative and help shape the future of the company. The culture is truly one of a kind! This is the best job that I have ever had; I truly care about the people I'm working alongside.

Cons

As MetroStar evolves, it's clear the hiring practices have too. Unfortunately, years ago, the company hired some employees who were entitled and expected everything to be given to them and they now get satisfaction by ranting on Glassdoor. It's my hope that people who want to work hard for a growing company will see right through their bitterness and complaining.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on what makes you so great - your people and the unique culture. Continue to hire the type of talent that WANTS to help the company succeed. Keep asking your employees to be open about their experiences, passionate about their work and fearless in the face of challenges.

Nov 21, 2016 – HR Director

"Rate the Company"

Current Employee - SharePoint Front End Developer in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - SharePoint Front End Developer in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at MetroStar Systems (More than a year)

Pros

Small company, family atmosphere, diversity, great benefits and great growth potential, no matter what your skillset is.

Cons

I have no complaints at this time.

Advice to Management

None

Nov 21, 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for the feedback.

"Do not listen to negative reviews!"

I have been working at MetroStar Systems full-time

Pros

I work at HQ and I do not see any of the "negative claims". MetroStar is ideal for the brightest minds. If you cannot make it at MetroStar you will not make it in any other environment.

Cons

Start from within and change yourself. You'll find that this place is truly the best place to work in.

Advice to Management

Stay FEARLESS and challenge us

"Still having fun"

Pros

Nothing like waking up every day to your dream job! No place is perfect, but this place is perfect for me. The energy is great, leadership is motivated and each day there are projects to tackle and goals to meet.

Cons

staying positive on this review.

Advice to Management

Keep pressing on!

Thank you for the feedback.

"LOL to the fake reviews! Please."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at MetroStar Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great developers and designers. Honestly, really great and talented people! I absolutely loved my team members, and I only wish I could shelter them more from management. The staff yearn for more compelling and innovative work. I really liked the matrix manager but felt no one above that level was looking out for me, not to mention that he seemed like he was in a rough place himself between the teams and upper management. That said, the break room and happy hours did a lot for morale, and it brought a nice corporate culture for short periods of time to see your coworkers in a more informal setting. Also, the benefits were good for the industry.

Cons

Executive management is the worst I've seen. There are MULTIPLE family members and "family friends" in staff that will never be fired. The great relationships I had with developers were squished by upper management.

The benefits were good for the industry, but the salary across the board was significantly lower. When I left I began requesting my ending salary and immediately got several offers for 6k+ more. That's really saying something, omg!

They have a game room and happy hours to distract you from 60 hour weeks, which are fun at the time, but man does it eat away at your personal life. If work is your passion, go for it, but if you hope to have any work-life balance steer clear.

Advice to Management

Honestly if they took any action items from any single satisfaction survey they conducted, it'd make a world of difference. I get not paying industry standard rate because you're a smaller company, but at least keep to below a 50 hr workweek for all employees.

Also I wish you'd encourage your current employees to give realistic and accurate employment reviews on Glassdoor to mitigate the extreme disparity in ratings. Obviously the people who knew better and got out are giving low ratings, and there are a series of either obliviously ignorant 5 stars or completely fake reviews because no one's that stupidly happy. Especially the 40+ people I met while I was there. There's a reason for the massive outflux of people throughout the year. LISTEN to your employees to find out why. I had no outgoing interview of any kind.

Nov 7, 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for the recognition of our great people, culture and strong benefits. I'm sorry that other aspects of your experience were not positive. I'm interested in having a more in depth ... More

"Who writes 'this is not a fake review!' if it is a real review?? #duh"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at MetroStar Systems full-time

Pros

Nope, nothing to put here..

Cons

Management is awful and the fake reviews leave employees feeling alienated and unheard.

"Junior Staff Accountant"

Former Employee - Junior Staff Accountant in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Junior Staff Accountant in Reston, VA

Pros

Nothing! Worse, and very unprofessional.

Cons

They took back the offer said they are out of budget. To all of the candidates, be careful what they have offered you, they never keep their promises. Even though they gave you on paper end up they still took back.

Advice to Management

Very poor. Don't know what they are doing!

Nov 7, 2016 – HR Director

We try our best to prevent situations where we may need to rescind an offer letter. I'm sorry that we did not live up to our own expectations. We will work to prevent this from reoccurring in the ... More

"Best Workplace"

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at MetroStar Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fresh out of college, I was searching for an innovative, productive and established company. Obviously, I wanted to have intelligent co-workers with a strong work ethic. With an engineering degree, I expected to work in a quiet, cold, boring office. MetroStar is the complete opposite. I truly enjoy coming to work every day. When I started working, there was no "intro period" to get to know everyone - I immediately felt like part of the family.

One of the first questions I was asked on my first visit to MetroStar Systems was what my goals are. Minutes after I mentioned my goal of becoming a Project Manager, the Director came into the room to speak with me about what positions were available that would best suit me. MetroStar is the first place I've seen that genuinely cares about personal growth as well as that of the company. Now, as an Associate Project Manager, I am doing what I have always wanted to do.

Cons

The commute can be long depending on where you live.

Sep 23, 2016 – HR Director