Metron (Virginia) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas L. Corwin

"Math-oriented company with engaging work, smart colleagues"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Metron (Virginia) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First, when reading other reviews, one should keep in mind that the different divisions are very different. I worked in divisions I (AMA - Advanced Mathematical Applications) and VI (ADA - Advanced Data Analytics), so this review is specific to those divisions. Negative aspects of the divisions that are outside of Reston, that I see on this site and that I heard while at Metron, do not reflect Metron's Reston divisions.

The culture is very academic: Metron focuses its recruiting on mathematics PhDs. They are not hired for their esoteric skills in algebra, topology, etc., but rather for their capacity to learn. Metron has hired mathematicians with almost no programming experience, expecting them to pick it up on the job (similar for other skills). Learning is strongly encouraged, and each new project usually presents an opportunity to learn about a new field of statistics/applied math/CS/OR. I learned a lot about a variety of fields while I was there.

The pace is relaxed. As a contractor, you work 40 hrs/week, and the distribution of those hours is flexible. We usually had more than enough time to meet whatever deadlines there were, and the slack time could be filled by learning about different approaches and experimenting with them. Everyone gets their own cushy office with a powerful computer and a big whiteboard. The majority of the work boils down to programming, often in Java or MATLAB, implementing algorithms for statistical inference, optimization, machine learning, signal processing, etc. Often this involves visualizing the output in Metron's Glimpse (it's on Github - check it out!), which is invariably fun. For the most part, the work is very engaging.

It was a pleasure to work with the vast majority of the colleagues that I interacted with. They are generally nice, laid back, and smart. The different managers who I worked with each had very different managing styles but I enjoyed working with all of them. Every manager comes from a technical background, like the analysts, which I found to be very good, as they can accurately represent and sell the work. Perhaps one competitive downside of this is that we look dorky compared to companies that have marketing departments!

Overall, I highly recommend the analyst position in Divisions I and VI to mathematically-oriented individuals looking for challenging, interesting work outside of an academic environment.

Cons

- My salary was lower that it would have been at a big tech company.
    - Some projects are more interesting than others, and some clients are more frustrating than others.
    - Draconian security measures for projects requiring clearances are a small annoyance (this unfortunately inherent in government contracting).

Advice to Management

- HR's involvement in recruiting is negative and its role in recruiting should be minimized.
    - Expand your recruiting efforts beyond PhD mathematicians. Certainly it is very smart to recruit PhD mathematicians, in particular since so few other places seek them out. But I imagine that if Metron targeted similar or more applicable fields (statistics, CS, OR, engineering, etc.) at top universities, at all degree levels, they could get some great hires who might already have relevant domain knowledge, too.
    - Consider dropping projects that don't exercise our technical skills, or dropping frustrating clients, hard as it may be to turn down money.

2. "Network Systems Administrator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Metron (Virginia) (More than 10 years)

Pros

salary, benefits, management, co-workers are all great!

Cons

I can't think of anything worth mentioning

Advice to Management

keep up the awesome work!

3. "Not a Bad Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Metron (Virginia) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Metron is overall a decent company, with decent benefits. It's quickly growing and moving from a "small business" to a "medium size business", which in turn has made it lose some of it's charm. However, management still shows that it cares about it's people.

You get to work with some of the best and the brightest in the field.

Cons

There are some very nice people in this company, and then there are a few people higher up with rather large egos. 'm not sure why some division leaders and directors think that they are better than others in this company, but in order to work as a team, respect needs to be given to those at all levels. If you think you are smarter than everyone else, go start an individual consulting firm so that you don't have to work with those who you believe aren't worth your time. People come to work to support the company, not individuals who think they are a gift to humanity.

Advice to Management

Division leaders need to remember that in order to retain good talent, employees should be treated as individuals and not just a number or expendable resource. Showing just a little more support to the employees will go along way in ensuring good company morale.

"I worked at Metron in San Diego, CA"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Metron (Virginia) (More than a year)

Pros

I did learn a lot about the industry.

Cons

I am now on my third job as a software engineer and I can honestly say that the work environment was too uptight at Metron. I currently work for a company with strict deadlines but we still manage to keep it light and fun when it comes to office relationships. Many times I though management was rude, but I just kept silent and looked for other opportunities that had a better work environment.

Advice to Management

Smile once in a while.

"Metron (West Coast)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Metron (Virginia) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities in terms of experience and responsibilities

Cons

Unfriendly and sometimes reticent culture of upper management alienates junior level staff from senior staff. Workload and expectations of junior level employees do not match compensation, often resulting in high turnover (which upper management has apparently come to accept and even anticipate).

Advice to Management

Invest more (salary, benefits, etc.) in lower level employees and turnover will decrease.

"Excellent place to work and learn"

Current Employee - Software Analyst in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Software Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at Metron (Virginia) full-time

Pros

I love how focused everyone is on learning new things and trying out different approaches to solving a problem. People like solving problems. It's not competitive, but everyone wants to do the right thing when it comes to what the customer wants. The people are the best part of the company.

Cons

There's not much room to move up. Often what you build, no matter how great it is, never sees the light of day and is never appreciated.

"Good Scientific Company"

Former Employee - Facility Security Officer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Facility Security Officer in Reston, VA

I worked at Metron (Virginia) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Academic Engineers, good quality of life.

Cons

Lack of support to non technical areas like Security

Advice to Management

Understand the compliance requirements and trust your staff.

"Good place to start a career in defense consulting"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Metron (Virginia) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty fast mobility upwards, but need to be able to work independently.

Cons

Limited resources and employees tend to be overworked.

Advice to Management

Take advice from all levels of employees.

10. "Great atmosphere"

Former Employee - Analyst in Solana Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Solana Beach, CA

Pros

Metron was a great place to work. It's a smaller company so you had more responsibility than a larger company. They cared about employee morale as much as they did about great work.

Cons

Work tends to be cyclical based on the type of work Metron is doing. If you don't like the work you're doing, there's not much of a future at the company. Promotion ability is somewhat minimized due to the small company structure.

"Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

Full of smart, friendly people. Lots of interesting problems from fun R&D to serious policy problems. Lots of mathematics and programming. Opportunity to make your own business if that interest you.

Cons

Small amount of internal politics, but mostly success in job equals improved chances of advancement. Working with government customers can be difficult