Metron (Virginia) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Thomas L. Corwin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Math-oriented company with engaging work, smart colleagues"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Metron (Virginia) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First, when reading other reviews, one should keep in mind that the different divisions are very different. I worked in divisions I (AMA - Advanced Mathematical Applications) and VI (ADA - Advanced Data Analytics), so this review is specific to those divisions. Negative aspects of the divisions that are outside of Reston, that I see on this site and that I heard while at Metron, do not reflect Metron's Reston divisions.

The culture is very academic: Metron focuses its recruiting on mathematics PhDs. They are not hired for their esoteric skills in algebra, topology, etc., but rather for their capacity to learn. Metron has hired mathematicians with almost no programming experience, expecting them to pick it up on the job (similar for other skills). Learning is strongly encouraged, and each new project usually presents an opportunity to learn about a new field of statistics/applied math/CS/OR. I learned a lot about a variety of fields while I was there.

The pace is relaxed. As a contractor, you work 40 hrs/week, and the distribution of those hours is flexible. We usually had more than enough time to meet whatever deadlines there were, and the slack time could be filled by learning about different approaches and experimenting with them. Everyone gets their own cushy office with a powerful computer and a big whiteboard. The majority of the work boils down to programming, often in Java or MATLAB, implementing algorithms for statistical inference, optimization, machine learning, signal processing, etc. Often this involves visualizing the output in Metron's Glimpse (it's on Github - check it out!), which is invariably fun. For the most part, the work is very engaging.

It was a pleasure to work with the vast majority of the colleagues that I interacted with. They are generally nice, laid back, and smart. The different managers who I worked with each had very different managing styles but I enjoyed working with all of them. Every manager comes from a technical background, like the analysts, which I found to be very good, as they can accurately represent and sell the work. Perhaps one competitive downside of this is that we look dorky compared to companies that have marketing departments!

Overall, I highly recommend the analyst position in Divisions I and VI to mathematically-oriented individuals looking for challenging, interesting work outside of an academic environment.

Cons

- My salary was lower that it would have been at a big tech company.
    - Some projects are more interesting than others, and some clients are more frustrating than others.
    - Draconian security measures for projects requiring clearances are a small annoyance (this unfortunately inherent in government contracting).

Advice to Management

- HR's involvement in recruiting is negative and its role in recruiting should be minimized.
    - Expand your recruiting efforts beyond PhD mathematicians. Certainly it is very smart to recruit PhD mathematicians, in particular since so few other places seek them out. But I imagine that if Metron targeted similar or more applicable fields (statistics, CS, OR, engineering, etc.) at top universities, at all degree levels, they could get some great hires who might already have relevant domain knowledge, too.
    - Consider dropping projects that don't exercise our technical skills, or dropping frustrating clients, hard as it may be to turn down money.

2. "Analyst"

I have been working at Metron (Virginia) full-time

Pros

Just need a science degree

Cons

Management needs a lot of work

3. "It was okay for a first job out of college."

Former Employee - Operations/Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Operations/Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Metron (Virginia) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hire entry level, recent college grads, and the work looks good on paper. It's good for starting out. Even better if you like the work.

Cons

The work is really boring.
    The people that have been there for a while, were only there for about a year.
    The people who had "been there forever" had only been there for 3 years. No one stays. High turnover.
    No 401(k) matching.
    Hourly employees get paid time for overtime, not time and a half.

Advice to Management

Allow some schedule flexibility. Ability to work remotely, 9/80s, 4/10s, etc.

4. "Network Systems Administrator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Metron (Virginia) (More than 10 years)

Pros

salary, benefits, management, co-workers are all great!

Cons

I can't think of anything worth mentioning

Advice to Management

keep up the awesome work!

5. "Associate Operations/Research Analyst"

Pros

The hours are flexible
    The small business lends to a good cultural atmosphere

Cons

The areas nearby are expensive.

6. "Not a Bad Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Metron (Virginia) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Metron is overall a decent company, with decent benefits. It's quickly growing and moving from a "small business" to a "medium size business", which in turn has made it lose some of it's charm. However, management still shows that it cares about it's people.

You get to work with some of the best and the brightest in the field.

Cons

There are some very nice people in this company, and then there are a few people higher up with rather large egos. 'm not sure why some division leaders and directors think that they are better than others in this company, but in order to work as a team, respect needs to be given to those at all levels. If you think you are smarter than everyone else, go start an individual consulting firm so that you don't have to work with those who you believe aren't worth your time. People come to work to support the company, not individuals who think they are a gift to humanity.

Advice to Management

Division leaders need to remember that in order to retain good talent, employees should be treated as individuals and not just a number or expendable resource. Showing just a little more support to the employees will go along way in ensuring good company morale.

7. "Great Company"

I have been working at Metron (Virginia) full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great people, hard-working, nice pay

Cons

Not too many cons to share about this place

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Metron (Virginia) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working here and had an outstanding manager. I think because I worked onsite at the client I was insulated from many issues people describe in other reviews. I feel like I was not only paid fairly, but paid very well, and the benefits were excellent. Flexible work schedule was much appreciated. Although we didn't get to attend, my wife and I were touched that the company offered to fly us out to Virginia on their dime for the annual company picnic.

I liked being surrounded by a lot of other young, intelligent professionals.

Cons

Metron had to make a lot of changes to salary and benefits to deal with the changing defense market just about the time I was leaving. I'm not sure the changes were positive.

Advice to Management

I've been out of the company for a while, so I don't have any advice.

"Software Intern"

Pros

Will hire entry level
    Good experience working with industry of contractors
    The coworkers are all nice and helpful regardless of their background

Cons

Uninteresting work
    Little to no opportunity for growth
    Primarily use very old and dated technology with little possibiltiy of change

Advice to Management

Not much advice available to management. All of my complaints are indicative of the fact that this industry itself might not be for me.

"People are fun, the work is boring."

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Metron (Virginia) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers, benefits, flexible work schedule

Cons

Management can be disconnected from reality at times.