Metropolitan Museum of Art Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2020

3.1
Metropolitan Museum of Art CEO and President Daniel H. Weiss
Daniel H. Weiss
Pros
  • "Incredible surroundings, great benefits (but at a cost to part-timers or per-diems), interesting colleagues(in 18 reviews)

• "Lots of job perks: free curatorial talks, pre-viewings for exhibitions(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay and no guaranteed job post-grad(in 14 reviews)

• "Being non profit, pay is lower than market(in 8 reviews)

1. "Great work place"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art part-time for less than a year

Pros

Can see many art work

Cons

Standing for a long time

2. "Visitor Services"

Former Employee - Visitor Services Assistant

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free museum entry in the US and certain cities in the world.

Cons

Middle management is disorganised due to constant change in leadership.

3. "Not Great"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time

Pros

Gained a lot of experience

Cons

Terrible work/life balance, bad managers, no investment in employees

4. "Stuck in the past"

Current Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hours studying the world’s best art

Cons

Abysmal communication and lack of transparency

5. "Constant Change"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful Colleagues! An extremely talented and dedicated group of employees.

Cons

Constant change and turnover. Senior management is aware of the issue and I hope steps will be made to increase employee engagement.

6. "Contributor in the Digital Department"

2.0

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art

Pros

Access to the galleries outside public hours; lots of vacation time that most people take advantage of; strong work-life balance; generally nice people; retirement matching

Cons

Digital Department lacks vision and leadership, or it depends on who you speak to because you'll keep getting different or unclear answers. They've been a service department to the rest of the museum for so long and are now trying to "lead digital". That sounds good until you realize the rest of the museum and leadership want the department to continue to be a service department. This creates a lot of tension and politics. This also creates too many projects being worked on at once. Some are Director-mandated. Some are for managers to boost their careers, recognition, or justify empire building. Some are because rich people gave the museum money. Unfortunately, and not uncommon, most managers are very inexperienced and spend most time in meetings and don't take the time to develop and provide constructive feedback to their subordinates. There's an illusion of inclusivity and good intentions, but too many politics and talking behind people's backs. People get labeled as "problems" by managers instead of looking for opportunities to help people grow. Lots of command and control, but hypocritical messaging that people need to take initiative. Expectations are never clear or change based on who's in the room. Failure is never an option. That's too bad because that's where you can learn.

7. "Low Pay"

Former Employee - Ambassador of Visitor Services

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art part-time for more than a year

Pros

Museum is nice Retirement plan for Part-Timers

Cons

Very hard to get hired full time Low Pay

8. "It's okay"

4.0
    Current Employee - Unarmed Security Guard in New York, NY

I have been working at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a security job at a museum. It's exactly how you imagine it to be. Easy work and unionized meaning more benefits and more breaks than an average security job. Overall a great place to work if you are new to security, in between jobs, or in college. Once you get on a routine, you have the option to just come in and clock out and not talk to anyone, or you can make friends and socialize with your co-workers. This job gives you both options, something not offered in other security gigs. Introverts and extroverts are welcome.

Cons

Supervisors can be a hit or miss. Long hours of standing. Union has sacrificed wages for overtime, meaning that while they do give you plenty of overtime, it's almost a necessity for many guards because of the low pay.

9. "Wonderful experience, wonderful people"

Former Employee - Education Programs Associate

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I look back on my time at the Met fondly. It was inspiring and invigorating coming to work every day knowing that you were going to be collaborating with some of the finest curatorial and museum workers in the world at one of the finest cultural organizations in the world. Because of my role, I was able to liaise with colleagues across departments. It was wonderful. I learned so much!

Cons

It's not a secret that the organization has made some missteps in its high-level administration and strategy. That is worrisome as a relatively low-level employee.

Continue reading
  10. "Wonderful! Will always be fond of my time at The Met"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dedicated peers, exciting and ever-changing atmosphere, great health insurance, time-off accumulated quickly

Cons

Some old mindsets among senior staff, but fortunately not executive staff, that at times felt limiting for what the institution strived for

Found 221 reviews