Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Dr. Jesse Register

1. "Mr."

Current Employee - Assistant Principal in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Principal in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I believe the greatest part of MNPS is middle management. I have worked in three great schools. the health benefits are good and they are getting more competitive with salaries.

Cons

I do not have many cons to speak of, but there is a wide variety of schools and so other people have had very different experiences.

Advice to Management

I am going to type 20 words in this section to complete the process of signing up so I can move on to the next part.

2. "No to MNPS"

Current Employee - Teacher in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Teacher in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a job

Cons

Teachers with experience are bullied by their principals.
    Principals are giving low evaluations to experienced teachers and higher evaluations to the new teachers.
    There is no opportunity for advancement. Teachers with experience and credentials to move up are not selected, the newer teachers are moving up while the more experienced teachers are stuck in the classrooms.
    There are no consequences for students safety is s very big concern for teachers and students.
    Teachers are being told to look for new jobs after only working 6 months.
    The pay is not competitive, teachers who have more than 10 years experience have not had a raise in over 4 years.
    The union is weak cannot help teachers with issues with administration.
    The administration does nothing to help the kids become successful.

3. "cashier"

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Nashville, TN

I worked at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the structure of days and hours

Cons

The part time employees are not paid for all the holidays

5. "teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

I appreciate the almost of hard work that everyone puts in at the ground levels and then above. There is obviously not a group of people that love children more that the teachers that work for MNPS

Cons

The pay and benefits of this company are significantly lacking. These cause many harding, devoted people to look elsewhere. Management needs to address this.

Advice to Management

If management addressed the issue f pay, working conditions and benefits, this could be the best job in Nashville.

6. "PROGRAM ASSISTANT"

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, good benefits, etc.

Cons

I didn't have much room for mobility in my position, but this isn't the case for all of MNPS

7. "Difficult Place to Work"

Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Nashville, TN

I worked at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fall, winter, spring, and summer break. Some great people work in the schools. The students are challenging, but overall fun to work with.

Cons

Administration piles on useless and time consuming paperwork. Constantly looking at student data and doing test prep. Too much emphasis on testing. Not enough support to deal with difficult students. Central office is disconnected with schools. Low pay for the level of difficulty of the job.

Advice to Management

Listen to teachers. Give exit interviews to all that quit and retire to understand why there is such a high turnover.

"challenging students create a poor environment due to district discipline measurement objectives"

Current Employee - Secondary Math Teacher in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Secondary Math Teacher in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a teacher in metro nashvile opportunity to make a huge impact on students who come from rough home life.

Cons

A lack of support when disciplining students and a painfully dangerous level of tolerance of violent and abusive student activity creates a poor working situation.

Advice to Management

discipline students and seperate disruptors from the regular student population.

"Teacher- High School"

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Nashville community is wonderfully diverse with some of the largest immigrant groups in the nation. Any given school has more than 43 languages being spoken. Starting teacher salaries are higher than surrounding districts but isn't enough to secure an affordable lifestyle in Nashville.

Cons

Pay is low compared to cost of living in Nashville. The "new" salary schedule is a joke and many teachers must take second jobs to be able to continue living in the communities they teach in. Many school administrators need to be replaced and held accountable for high teacher turn over. Teacher turnover in district is incredibly high.

Advice to Management

Give teachers more of a voice and hold administration accountable for teaching retention.

"It has become increasingly more test driven."

Current Employee - Second Grade Teacher in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Second Grade Teacher in Nashville, TN

Pros

Fall break, winter break, spring break, summer break. I enjoy my team mates and our collaboration. I get payed every two weeks throughout the year.

Cons

I work fifty to sixty hours a week. I often work at home, after working from seven in the morning to five in the evening. I rarely have time to eat all of my lunch.

Advice to Management

Walk a mile in our shoes.

11. "Just like Jr High"

Former Employee - Building Trades in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Building Trades in Nashville, TN

I worked at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools full-time

Pros

Benifets time off holiday pay

Cons

Back stabbing, gossip, if the truth is red, it will get turned around and the story will be yellow

Advice to Management

Need people that have worked hard and sweated before