Metropolitan Water District of Southern California Reviews | Glassdoor

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California Reviews

Updated 28 Jun 2019

Found 33 reviews

4.8
Metropolitan Water District of Southern California CEO Jeffrey Kightlinger  (no image)
Jeffrey Kightlinger
  1. "Stable"

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Metropolitan Water District of Southern California full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent benefits and pay scales. Stable employment. Variety of career paths. Location is easily commutable.

Cons

Recruitment process is slow. Employee evaluation structure and promotional opportunities make it difficult to reward top performing employees.

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California2015-04-26
  2. "Dedicated Company Goals Great Teamwork and forward thinking Board."

Former Employee - Environmental Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Metropolitan Water District of Southern California full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Critical Need and hardworking team of employees

Cons

Too many "lifers" at the job that don't care enough about doing a great job.

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California2015-04-03
  3. "The people make MWD a good place to work."

Field EHS Specialist III in Riverside, CA

I worked at Metropolitan Water District of Southern California

Pros

Pay is excellent especially if you are not in one of the higher cost areas of So Cal. Retirement plan and medical are great and hopefully will remain so in the future. Great education perks! 4- day work week!

Cons

Typical of any place one could work, you like some of your work and people you work with and there are things and people you will find you do not like as much. You get out of it what you put into it.

Advice to Management

No advice, I enjoyed my 22 years there and appreciate those I worked with. Approve the CEO shows Timothy F. Brick, however the current CEO is Mr. Jeff Kightlinger and is one of the better CEO in my opinion that I had while at MWD.

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California2015-03-12

"Professional public entity"

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Metropolitan Water District of Southern California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay and benefits, probably the best compare to all the agencies out there. People are friendly and professional. Will get returned call the same day from your associates. The people actually care about their jobs and gives heart in what they do. The company culture is relaxed and fun, but professional at the same time. Because it's one of the best agencies, the selection process is extremely difficult, so... only the best people get hired. You are working with experienced, highly qualified individuals. Feels like a private company but has the stability of a public agency. Every other friday off 9/80 schedule, 14 holiday, vacations, fully paid for insurance (HMO and PPO), 401k company match and pension!

Cons

It's very difficult to get a job here because every job posting has over 300 applicates, so it might take awhile till you get in. But once you get in the rewards are tremendous. There are deadweights employees that linger from long time ago that really do nothing but cannot be fire because of the union. But overall everyone does their job well. Promotion wil take awhile, because it's not that many promotion... opportunities come up. That's changing since half the agency is now retirement age and there will be high turnover in next couple years.

Advice to Management

Give the younger generation and new people options for telecommuting, and alternative schedules, since many of us have families now, the strict 9/80 across the board schedule is very hard on us.

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California2014-10-16
  5. "20 years as mech 1 /techIV level"

Current Employee - Mechanic

Pros

stable work. benefits i would not normally get outside a govt. service employer

Cons

work with entitled lazy unskilled people making the same wages...frustrating . sometimes I wish I had chosen another way to make a living but now too committed to making it to retirement age to give up everything I have taken crap for 19 years. i must get the retirement they deserve to pay me for. Management is so anti-worker and self protecting to give examples is to get disbelief. If you are a minority you are... golden and promoted / hired for no other reason. If not, be prepared to defend yourself from being called racist to excuse them for being lazy or having no skills.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the multi-layers of managers you hired. Upper management has no clue what work is really being done or not. Example: GM talked on video about not needing more employees in the Desert Region "because of all the automation in the plants". One pump in one plant out of 5 plants and 48 pumps is automated...yet that is the lame excuse used by the GM for keeping the Desert Region staffing at an all time low...

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California2014-09-01
  6. "Good place to work"

I worked at Metropolitan Water District of Southern California part-time

Pros

Your not always stuck in one place, there's always chances to move around and try other locations

Cons

Some of the employees have an attitude of self entitlement

Advice to Management

Open up more positions so that current employees can get some help

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California2014-05-31

"Stable Employer"

Pros

Employees receive excellent benefits and competitive compensation. There is less risk of lay off than private industry and the work is interesting.

Cons

Limited opportunities to move up in the company. Often times promotions are political rather than based on competency. The structure of the employee evaluation process makes it difficult to reward high producing employees.

Advice to Management

N/A

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California2014-02-12
  8. "good place"

Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Metropolitan Water District of Southern California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great pay, great benefits, work/life balance, structured management, stable company

Cons

somewhat archaic business processes, older employees make too much money relative to skillset

Advice to Management

keep up the good work.

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California2014-01-02
  9. "Water moves at 6 miles per hour. Good learning pool."

I have been working at Metropolitan Water District of Southern California

Pros

Huge opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. Great people to work with. And smart ones too.

Cons

Water moves at 6 mph and makes some unpredictable and very damaging twists and turns.

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California2013-09-27
  10. "Excelleant"

in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Metropolitan Water District of Southern California

Pros

Good Wages excellent benefits happy fellow employees holidays oustanding retirement 401k credit union car pooling close to home

Cons

Describe some of the downsides of working at Metropolitan Water District of Southern California Slow to promote very lettle interaction with staff

Advice to Management

Offer some advice or feedback to the leadership at Metropolitan Water District of Southern California. Fire th raft and layoff the employee that don't produce

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California2011-06-07