MeySen Academy Reviews | Glassdoor

MeySen Academy Reviews

Updated Feb 23, 2019

Found 8 reviews

4.0
MeySen Academy CEO Daniel Fanger (no image)
Daniel Fanger

"Rewarding Experience for Motivated Individuals"

I worked at MeySen Academy full-time

Pros

-The kids!!! -Tight-knit family atmosphere -English Support staff makes living in Japan possible for non-Japanese speakers -Long vacations allow for amazing travel opportunities

Cons

-Long hours during peak event/open house seasons -Difficult to balance quality English learning with expectations for student fun and enjoyment (unclear objectives) -Adjusting to the work expectations from management takes time and flexibility

Advice to Management

Empower HR to have meaningful dialogues with employees to improve Work/Life Balance and encourage growth opportunities for veteran staff.

MeySen Academy2018-05-23

June 5, 2018HR Manager

Thank you for your review and your feedback! We really appreciate you taking the time to post this. We'll take a look at your recommendations and see what we can do to continue improving things here at Meysen! Good luck in your future endeavors!

2. "Friends Club/Premier School Teacher"

I worked at MeySen Academy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun environment - Beautiful campuses - Impacting kid's lives

Cons

Little to no room for advancement - Gossip in workplace is not stopped - Management seems to side with the "difficult" employees and do not address issue - Managers avoid conflict

MeySen Academy2016-04-16

June 5, 2018HR Manager

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write this and post it. Our management team has been made aware of these issues and we'll begin taking steps to address them. Once again, thanks for taking the time to post your review!

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Sendai, Miyagi

I have been working at MeySen Academy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

✔️ Awesome/beautiful working environment. ✔️ Clear Christian Moral Standards. ✔️Many Co-workers ✔️ Bilingual staff to help with language barriers. ✔️ Very rewarding to work with the children.

Cons

Long working hours. Many responsibilities. Many events that take place on weekends. Could be fun, but extremely exhausting.

MeySen Academy2019-02-23
  4. "Non Teacher In A Teaching Role"

I have been working at MeySen Academy full-time

Pros

Your housing is taken care of through the school, and the English Support Staff is incredibly helpful at getting you set up in Japan and showing you where and how to get around Sendai, they will also help coordinate haircuts, doctors appointments, and any other appointments that you need help with.

Cons

Obviously speaking Japanese would be a great help, however, we were lead to believe that there would be more people that were eager to speak English with us, that is not the case. The communication between the members of the family in management roles and those of us who are brought over are severely lacking. You will put a lot of effort into your work, it will not be appreciated.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your staff and let them know when things are happening. The two campuses need to be on the same wave length so one staff group is not getting information that is not being shared with the others.

MeySen Academy2018-12-13

December 18, 2018HR Manager

Hi, thanks so much for the review! We appreciate you taking the time to do this! I would be interested in talking with you further about the communications issues here and why you feel your hard work isn't appreciated. We always appreciate feedback, but without specifics it can ...

5. "Great place!"

I have been working at MeySen Academy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoy MeySen because of the many opportunities to bond with students. There are many opportunities to show the love of Christ to the kids.

Cons

Very busy schedules are the norm at MeySen. It’s difficult to find time for yourself that’s more than just a day when working at MeySen. It can be very exhausting.

Advice to Management

More time off for teachers. This is usually a big factor in teachers’ decisions to stay or not stay with the school.

MeySen Academy2018-06-07
  6. "Great place to work and live"

I have been working at MeySen Academy full-time

Pros

Beautiful campus Rewarding job teaching students Lots of fun and exciting programs and trips Foreign staff support (translating, help with important documents)

Cons

Long work week (Monday - Saturday) Pay isn't amazing

MeySen Academy2017-10-30

June 5, 2018HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to post a review! We really appreciate your feedback!

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Teacher in Sendai, Miyagi

I have been working at MeySen Academy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun and exciting job at a beautiful campus. Lots of fun field trips and events throughout the year. Meysen does a lot to help and care for employees, such as finding places to live, helping with translation and Japanese forms and paperwork. Bonuses and pay raises are decent and performance based. Management is understanding about taking PTO.

Cons

6 day work week can be difficult, especially for people who aren't accustomed to working full time.

MeySen Academy2017-08-27

June 5, 2018HR Manager

Thanks for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to post here!

"Premier School Teacher"

Former Employee - Premier School Teacher in Sendai, Miyagi

I worked at MeySen Academy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Frequent times during the year for days off, and it is good for travel It is a good place to work, and there are a lot of support the bridging of cultural gaps

Cons

Days off have to be approved by management, and they have an unusual and unfair control over what days you can take off. There are huge gender disparities, and female workers are treated differently than male workers Taxing is crazy especially for teachers who stay longer.

Advice to Management

Management should have more liaisons with the staff, and they should have more avenues to foster better communication between the two. Employee feedback is not solicited and there could be better professional development for the teachers.

MeySen Academy2016-02-29

June 5, 2018HR Manager

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write and post this review! Our management team will be taking a look at the cons and the advice to management you gave and we'll continue to work on improving. This past year we've made some improvements in how we both collect and act on feedback, ...

Found 8 reviews