Meyer Distributing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Ronald Harrington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good company, great culture, taxing work day"

Current Employee - Business Development Inside Sales in Hudson, OH
    Current Employee - Business Development Inside Sales in Hudson, OH

I have been working at Meyer Distributing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company really does provide an excellent work environment. I am a BDM and feel that my sales manager is exceptionally supporrtive. I enjoy the people that I work with , and have made fast friends. I find the company to be very progressive, and I definately appreciate that. There is opportunity for paid time off to volunteer at a local charity association of my choice, and a lot of contributions made to these associations from the company. The company provided employees with a fitbit of our choice and created fun competition with all the different departments. There is a lot of opportunity to learn about sales as well as health. The training I received is very good. The company is actually excellent. Nothing in this world is perfect for everyone, but this is certainly a very nice company to work with.

Cons

I do find the actual job to be very taxing. It takes true tenacity to be successful here. 80 calls a day burns you out very quickly, and staying on pace isn't always easy. I find it difficult to concentrate on the quality of my job when I am chasing call numbers. Sometimes keeping the customers happy is tough when things go wrong and it is out of your hands, like backorder situations for example. I find that my sales support is strong, but often run into obsticles in communication with some of the other departments. I think it takes more than a year to fully absorb and understand the products and the job. Realistically it isn't easy. The bonus plan isn't bad, but lots of goals to keep an eye on. This job is tough to do everyday.

Advice to Management

keep things fun and upbeat, that makes the work day better for everyone.

"This is not a sales position but an auto-dial telemarketing job."

Former Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Meyer Distributing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The gym, coffee and plenty of parking (especially after turnovers) -that's it!

Cons

Working at Meyer Distributing (and all it's aliases) is not a real sales position, but a job where dialing the phone is more important than making your sales goals-it's a telemarketing job. Your day consists of cold calling clinics all day, and giving your contact information-IF you get that far. Many either hang up on you or just tell you they are not interested. I almost felt like I was harassing the offices when I would call. The company will post every aspect of your "calling" performance daily for the whole company to see. If you have not made their "expectations" on call count and talk time, "HAS NOT MADE EXPECTATIONS" under your name in bold red letters will be emailed to everyone in the company. Even if you make more than 100% of your goal in sales, you will be considered a failure, ridiculed, and subject to discharge if you don't make your call quota.

I have worked for a lot of companies, but this one is one of the most bizarre. In meetings, even when there were only three people, the managers chant the company mission statement and other "company prayers" sounding to me like a priest praying at the alter. They have signs with motto's hanging on the walls the like "NO WALLS" but there are walls.-don't dare say anything negative or you will be beat down. If you ask a manager a question, it could be days until they give you an answer-if they ever do. They are probably too busy having their meetings. The managers are the core employees-most of the rest have typically around a year of service. They admit that the turnover rate is over 35% (probably more like 50%) -I wonder why?? They promise all these big bonuses, but I never saw one-even though I "made my budget" each month. Don't waste your time; a job at the local home improvement box store would be much less stressful and probably pay about the same. If I could give negative star ratings I would-yes it's that bad.

Advice to Management

Ronald Harrington needs to ask himself why the massive turnover rate and do something about it. In the short time I was there, I watched many of good people leave. It was actually a joke among the employees of how many people would be hired, and how many would still be there after a few weeks. Initially I could not understand why-I found out why very quickly. A good owner would want to have long term employees and make it a point to find out why such a high rate of turnover. The big fancy building, nice gym and free coffee are worthless if everyone is miserable. One day you will wake up and find you cannot get competent, reliable employees. And you will have no one to blame but yourself. You allowed it to happen. You HAVE to be aware of the revolving door with people constantly coming and going. You have free coffee there-you need to wake up and smell it!

3. "Great place to worm"

Current Employee - Warehouse in Jasper, IN
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Jasper, IN

I have been working at Meyer Distributing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A growing company, so plenty of opportunities

Cons

For the warehouse jobs, maybe the strenuous side of it for anyone who tires easily.

Advice to Management

Keep up the solid work

"Run!! People sleep with everyone"

Former Employee - Sales in Hudson, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Hudson, OH

I worked at Meyer Distributing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice gym, cool Ceo and management. Marketing have nice people mostly all about business. PT side all about hook ups

Cons

Like I said people sleep with everyone. Most people been there for a long time business trips lead to hook ups it's like a high school all over. Married men sleeping with with everyone

Advice to Management

Show more interest

"Senior management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hudson, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hudson, OH

I worked at Meyer Distributing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great location and fitness center. There is plenty of work to go around, but resources are very limited. Management is compensated well, but at some point in your career respect and trust are worth more than a few dollars in your paycheck.

Cons

Managers are babysitters and unfortunately the culture prohibits growth unless you are a "chosen one" which that honor changes like the wind. I've seen many good people let go for unknown reasons, it was just mandated. There are plenty of strategic meetings but they never stick to a plan long enough to see if it's successful. Based on my experience the reviews posted are accurate and not from disgruntled employees.

Advice to Management

No advise. They will continue to have financial success but they will never be a highly rated company to work for. Begin building an HR department that actually cares about the people they employ.

"A lot of pointless phone calls"

Former Employee - Business Development Inside Sales in Hudson, OH

I worked at Meyer Distributing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great gym facility to work out in and the people you work with are what keep you going. Everything else is terrible.

Cons

100 calls when you start followed by 75 for the rest of your life. Management will forever neglect your opportunities if larger ones present themselves. Emails will come weeks later to see if you still need assistance with a situation that needed handled weeks ago. Decent pay for straight out of college and a few skills learned, but you may want to end yourself after 4 months.

Advice to Management

Change some things in the organization. Everyone is looking for a new job!

"Professional telemarketer and harass people all day"

Former Employee - Business Development Inside Sales in Hudson, OH

Pros

New building and on site fitness center

Cons

The job starts out good and then as time goes on you get real feel for what it is. You're expected to make 100 calls a day and required to be on each call for a certain amount of time. You're always told what you're doing wrong. When you call and say where you're calling from, people give you an attitude, hang up, or tell you their not interested. You literally harass the same clinics all the time or constantly leave voicemails. The call lists are outdated, but management won't listen. Some of the numbers are retired doctors, dentists, house numbers. The lists are awful, but management doesn't care. Your shift is 8:30-5:00, but don't even think about leaving at 5:00 nor come in at 8:28! You're expected to be there around 8:15 and not leave at 5:00. When you want to take time off you have to explain yourself even though they give you vacation time. If you're sick and need to call off you can tell management isn't happy, but they can do whatever. They treat you like children, you're stared at if you have to use the restroom frequent or even just need a quick breather to get up from your seat to take a break from being hung up on and yelled at! You will not be happy working here.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, and it's insane to tell every call that we are a family owned business, we sound like a broken record

"It's not sales, but a glorified customer service position."

Former Employee - Business Development Inside Sales in Hudson, OH

I worked at Meyer Distributing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice new building with a view of the woods - perfect for those who enjoy
    being covered in stink bugs.

There is great camaraderie amongst the reps as everyone shares in the same misery, and collectively pray for a better job to come along.

Cons

Call numbers are of more importance than knowing how to actually be a salesperson.

Training and call coaching is done to the point of micromanagement of the "sales" staff.

Managers inundate everyone with "reports" to the level that everyone suffers from paralysis by analysis.

Sales goals seem arbitrary, and are not consistent from one rep to another. Incompetence is rewarded while those willing to put in the most work are given the worst accounts to manage with no consideration into their bonus structure.

Managements idea of team building is to have the occasional potluck lunch.

You are expected to be there early but are looked down upon if you need to leave at 5:00pm. Those who do are referred to as being in the "5:01 club".

The company spent over 1 year developing a new website that embarrassingly failed upon launch.

Advice to Management

Make changes. Your approach is stale, and the manner in which the message is delivered is seen as a total joke by the staff.

"You have to work hard"

Current Employee - Business Development Inside Sales in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Business Development Inside Sales in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Meyer Distributing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just like any job, you have to meet expectations. Meyer works through an expectation that you spend a certain amount of time on the phone, establishing interest and building relationships,which they try to do a good job of regulating. There are significant amounts of easily conveyable values that this company provides to its clientele. This is tough work. Your time and call quality is monitored and critiqued. Those who succeed in the entry level position are able to receive critical feedback and adapt. Just like with any company in the world, you have to be able to mold yourself into the company vision. Management does indeed accept critical feedback and does a great job of making its staff feel important.

Cons

Multiple divisions make accounts somewhat hard to navigate. Pricing can be a bit difficult to wrap your head around as it is set up separately due to the division of departments. Call requirements at times get in the way of an agent's need to invest in client needs. Although it is important to create and establish new business, it seems much opportunity is lost because reps are trying to meet call goals (to receive compensation) instead of servicing the long term needs of said new businesses.

Advice to Management

Seek first to understand. Ask about potential, follow up, hold accountable. Invest more in first impressions if you are going to use culture as a selling point for new employees.

"Shady Company!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Twinsburg, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Twinsburg, OH

Pros

They build a good resume.

Cons

Upper management is incompetent! They preach a "No Walls" atmosphere (meaning that they encourage feedback without any recourse) There are even posters on the walls throughout the building promoting it ... yet if you give opinions and ideas that do not coinicide with their vision you are told that you are negative and/or written up or terminated for not agreeing with their policies.
    This is a telemarketing position not a sales position that enforces a 100 call daily quota. If you do not meet your call expectations you are written up and you do not receive your bonus check... even if you hit your monthly goal. They continuously look for ways of taking money away from their employees.
    You will get ahead in the company as long as you know who to kiss up to. Kissing up is strongly encouraged. So essentially management tends to be ignorant, lack common sense and are not business savy because they lack the brain power to make their own decisions and come up with useful ideas.
    Your work performance is never appreciated or complimented rather you are constantly critqued and told what you are doing wrong.
    The word "cult" is commonly used to describe the environment. You are to say a vision before every meeting. It starts with "We are a family business driven by our values.." which is a complete contradiction of the company culture.
    I have interviewed for positions since I have left Meyer and have been asked why they receive so many resumes from former employees. They are well known in the recruiting industry as an employer with extremely high turn over.
    If you see a job posting for Meyer... Run! I promise that the place will suck the life right out of you.

Advice to Management

No advice will make a difference since any advice you have been given in the past consitently falls on deaf ears.