Miami Country Day School Reviews | Glassdoor

Miami Country Day School Reviews

3.2
John Davies

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Director of Admissions"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Miami, FL
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Miami Country Day School as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great professional growth opportunities here.

Cons

No cons to report about this school.

2. "Some Good Some Bad"

Current Employee - Director in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Director in Miami, FL

I have been working at Miami Country Day School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful school environment, very pleasent people that work there (teachers & staff). School puts in a good amount of money into capital improvement and professional development.

Cons

Work expectations are way off the chart. It is called Miami Country Day and Night for a reason. Upper management expect people to work all hours of the day, weekends all events....it is a little overwhelming.

Advice to Management

If you expect faculty and staff to sacrifice their lives for the school please compensate them accordingly or at the very least an appropriate benefit for the extra time.

3. "A nice place to work but I wouldn't want to live there"

Former Employee - Classroom Teacher
    Former Employee - Classroom Teacher

I worked at Miami Country Day School full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice campus, excellent resources, "yes" is the answer more often than "no." Great, friendly, curious students. 95% of parents are supportive in the right way (but watch out for the 5%---you could sink before anyone throws you a life preserver)

Cons

Faculty meetings that will bore you to tears or that interest you but drag on and on (no respect for teachers' personal time). A "top exec" who told me, "We own you. We pay your salary and professional development so we own you." They need a fresh, outside perspective on their management team---everyone (perhaps minus the "We own you guy") in a position of leadership was groomed "in house." You can call that loyalty; I call that "limited vision" and "incestuous."

Advice to Management

Stop saying "The research shows that . . ." to bolster one of your pet ideas or projects, unless you've actually read the research (on both sides of the issue) and can show me what you're referring to. Stop pretending that your "vaunted" professional development program actually improves teaching and learning---you don't have any real, hard data---when all it really is is a smokescreen for you to manage the salary structure. Publish the salaries and benefits of the leadership team.

4. "so so"

Former Employee - Teacher in Fleetwood Manor, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Fleetwood Manor, FL

I worked at Miami Country Day School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice students and teachers. Clean and nice environment. Free lunch. Minimester is a good idea.

Cons

They pay very low wages even though they charge very high tution. If you are considering working for them you must assertively negotiate for a proper salary at the beginning!

Advice to Management

Pay proper competitive salaries to teachers especially to teachers who teach in critical shortage areas.

5. "Great school"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Miami Country Day School full-time

Pros

The faculty is very supportive. The administration is supportive of long term employees and value loyalty

Cons

there is a need for new faculty mentoring

6. "That school is stuck in time. They don't realize we're in the year 2014 and not 1785 or something."

Former Employee - After School Care
    Former Employee - After School Care

I worked at Miami Country Day School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Occasionally when the teachers threw parties for the kids we had free food lol

Cons

Everyone at that place is narrow minded about different races intermingling. It was considered uncanny when it would occur.

"Meh"

Pros

Many good people on staff
    Professional growth is well funded

Cons

-Parents run the school and the higher ups allow it to continue. Grades of C or lower will be met with a flurry of emails, endless and demeaning meetings, and administrative wagging of the finger. "Don't raise the grade arbitrarily...buuut...see what you can do."
    -It is a gigantic open secret that the entire GPA system is padded and highly inflated. What, are we to believe a VAST majority of the students here are ABOVE average? Come on.
    -Don't expect yearly raises to be that great. Barely keeps up with inflation.
    -Get ready for administration to tack on many other things to your job. You'll be doing them for free.
    -Not really sure of the vision. It's all over the place.

Advice to Management

Stop overloading teachers with so many extracurriculars! Also, stop trying to be everything and just find a coherent vision. You can't satisfy everyone all the time. Bite the bullet and tell a parent or student NO sometimes.

8. "MCDS is a good place to grow"

Current Employee - Teacher in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Miami, FL

Pros

It is excellent for a working parent with children in the school. For example, the tuition remissin is 40% and activties is 50%. You can have a closer relationshio with your child;s teachers and friends. Outside of that, pro gro seems decent when funded, but not organized at all. It is a highly structured environment - and that is helpful.

Cons

Insane expectations from administration and parents. It is trying to be all things to all people. can;t settle with a specific vision or purpose. It sees the competetive landscape but won't take step towards reclaiming its edge. Too afraid of losing capital, but it is losing its human capital.

Advice to Management

Realize that your talent pool is very deep.

9. "Country day school of costa rica"

I have been working at Miami Country Day School full-time

Pros

opportunities, know stuff, yada yada yada

Cons

expensive, math is bad, nhs is selective, expensive

10. "It's ok"

I have been working at Miami Country Day School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No hassle dealing with government standards

Cons

The pay is not that great.

Advice to Management

Leave the teachers alone! We don't have time to be doing fifty extra curriculars!