Miami Dade Public Schools Reviews in Hialeah, FL | Glassdoor

Hialeah, FL

2.8
Miami Dade Public Schools Superintendent Alberto M. Carvalho
Alberto M. Carvalho

Pros
  • good benefits and secure positions if you can ride the wave (in 7 reviews)

• Insurance, holidays off, partial tuition reimbursement, professional development opportunities (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay considering a graduate degree is required (in 9 reviews)

• There is not too much room for growth (in 5 reviews)

1. "Miami Dade County"

Current Employee - Teacher in Hialeah, FL

I have been working at Miami Dade Public Schools (More than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits and secure positions if you can ride the wave

Cons

work happiness depends on supervisor many can be less than professional

Advice to Management

none

"Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Hialeah, FL

I have been working at Miami Dade Public Schools (Less than a year)

Pros

Some reasons to work for Miami Dade County Public Schools include the endless list of great benefits provided, knowing that you're enriching the lives of children, and an adequate support system.

Cons

Some downsides to working for Miami Dade County Public Schools include bringing home work daily, having to manage paper work along with teaching students, and feeling overworked and stressed out 90% of the time.

Advice to Management

The school system needs to improve but it is difficult to control external factors which in turn affect our schools.

3. "Part time ESOL teacher Adult Education"

Current Employee - Adult Education Teacher in Hialeah, FL
    Current Employee - Adult Education Teacher in Hialeah, FL

Pros

Enjoy teaching ESOL to adults for Miami Dade Schools, very rewarding. The students are appreciative and we can see them progress.

Cons

Low salary that hasn't kept up with inflation. There are no benefits except the State of Florida Pension, no days off or health insurance. Also, recently they have been cutting classes. So, although I have seniority, my job is less secure now.

Advice to Management

At least give part-time teachers an hourly pay raise. It's been about eight years since we got a raise. We part-time Adult Education teachers contribute a lot to the community.

"Very difficult job that only gets harder while your pay stays the same."

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Hialeah, FL
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Hialeah, FL

I have been working at Miami Dade Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Satisfaction of helping kids. Plenty of time off.

Cons

I teach middle school math. Very difficult to teach kids who literally cannot do basic math (adding, subtracting, multiplying, division)... Who do not care. I have to deal with kids with major behavioral problems and complete lack of respect and discipline. No support from home. Often times very little support from administration and in many cases it seems like the administration is against you as well. Take my advice and do not consider becoming a public school teacher. And yes you get plenty of time off but you will be so burned out all the time that you will need the time off just to recover from your poor health.

Advice to Management

Treat teachers with the respect they deserve. Stop micromanaging them and wasting their time with pointless meeting that waste taxpayer's money and prevent teachers from getting real work done.