Michael Baker International Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Baker International Chief Executive Officer Brian Lutes
Brian Lutes

Pros
Cons
  • No bonuses to speak of (unless you are in upper management) (in 8 reviews)

• The lack of leadership is self evident (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company and Great People"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Moon Township, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Moon Township, PA

I worked at Michael Baker International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation was very competitive and projects were very interesting

Cons

Not a great location if you live east of Pittsburgh International Airport.

Advice to Management

Management was very good overall during my experience

"The further away you are from Corporate, the healthier your environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Michael Baker International full-time

Pros

Amazing, hardworking, knowledgeable, and dedicated people who are willing to put in extra hours to get the job done. Most of the offices have phenomenal environment, culture, and camaraderie. The company participates in life-changing projects all over the nation.

Cons

This is where the Pros end...
    1) Compensation is not competitive. No bonuses to speak of (unless you are in upper management).
    2) Company-wide recognition/rewards are non-existent. Many offices are fixing this by holding their own mini- recognition luncheons, cookouts, etc.
    3) Executive management gets reshuffled every year. This makes the environment at the top of the company very toxic, politicized, and unhealthy. This inevitably trickles down to middle management and makes them insecure and scared.
    4) In general, executive management has absolutely no regard to "regular" employees.
    5) The owners of the company have way too much say in how the company is managed and run. Even the best executives who could make a difference have their hands tied.
    6) The owners of the company are too impatient to see more profits, do not let any new initiatives yield positive results, and replace them with yet other "flavor of the month" initiatives. This creates confusion and lack of trust in the upper management's competence.
    7) Although it exists on paper, there is no clear career path that employees who want to advance within the company can follow. This results in many of them leaving to work for competitors.
    8) Recently appointed CEO reminisces too much about "when I was at GE"... GE is not Michael Baker International. It's time to live in the present.

Advice to Management

Let managers manage. Do whatever it takes to regain trust of employees. You lose so many good people simply because they don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Bring stability back. Give meaning to the "Great Place to Work" certification. As of now it is just a pretty picture you can brag about.

3. "GIT Tech. IV"

Former Employee - GIT Tech IV in Ridgeland, MS
    Former Employee - GIT Tech IV in Ridgeland, MS

I worked at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the company you work at times the skills you have

Cons

One who holds an opposing opinion or view or issue. Startups may fail, but there’s always the chance it will be a success

Advice to Management

Treat people with compassion and set clear standards for your team.

5. "Civil Associate I"

Former Employee - Associate Civil Engineer in Rocky Hill, CT
    Former Employee - Associate Civil Engineer in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at Michael Baker International (More than 5 years)

Pros

Started as an intern, and was given ample opportunity to learn in all departments. Once I was a full time employee they gave me the opportunity to grow in my field and take on new challenges. I was given the chance to work on very interesting projects and take on additional responsibility as time went on. They made it clear that they were willing to invest in my future. Fully supported involvement in professional organizations and provided opportunity to get involved. When I decided to pursue an opportunity to work for the government in another state they were very supportive during my transition.

Cons

Some departments felt understaffed. While I was there they were aquired by an investment firm which resulted in some benefit changes. Managements attempts to reward employees with better benefits/raises were stunted by corporate, especially around the time the company sold.

Advice to Management

Do more to promote office events and atmosphere.

Michael Baker International Response

Apr 21, 2017 – PR Specialist

Thank you for your review. We’re glad to hear you had a positive experience during your time at Michael Baker. We value your feedback to help us improve and further Michael Baker’s mission.

6. "Regional Practice Lead"

Current Employee - Regional Practice Lead in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Practice Lead in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people doing good work

Cons

Sometimes disconnect between corporate leadership and rest of staff

Advice to Management

Focus on people in service industry

7. "Associate Planner"

Current Employee - Associate Planner in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Planner in Chico, CA

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company with offices in several locations, which offers flexibility and opportunities for internal transfers. Many people work in a remote capacity as well. Good salary and benefits.

Cons

The company takes a very corporate approach to managing their offices and employees, so if that is not your style, you may want to explore working for a smaller private company. Depends on the environment you are looking for whether this would be a pro or con.

"Great company and great vision by our CEO."

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Michael Baker has some really talented people that want to be successful together. The Wolf Pack concept is on point and a mantra that demonstrates how we support each together.

Cons

Trying to accomplish a lot quickly but it's all good and everything is going in the right direction. We need to continue to take strategic steps and make key hires that will improve the way we do our business.

Advice to Management

Keep looking forward as the right things are being accomplished.

9. "Baker Review"

Current Employee - Associate Civil Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Civil Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Many corporate leadership position changes have been occurring quite often in recent years.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Planner in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Planner in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers who are helpful and fun to be around for happy hours or holiday potlucks. Nice flexibility of schedule. Productive employees are readily given respect and the freedom to accomplish work independently.

Cons

Corporate merger still ironing out wrinkles.

11. "Very Positive Company"

Former Employee - Structures Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Structures Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Michael Baker International (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who worked there were extremely helpful in my education as an upcoming young engineer.

Cons

The structure of the company didn't provide me many opportunities to work on different projects.