Michael Baker International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Michael Baker International Chief Executive Officer Brian Lutes
Brian Lutes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company has good work environment people are very helpful" (in 18 reviews)

• "Enjoyed my tenure with the company - great people and good company" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "No bonuses to speak of (unless you are in upper management)" (in 10 reviews)

• "Many corporate leadership position changes have been occurring quite often in recent years" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Analyst II"

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time

Pros

Management encourages job growth and promotion

Cons

Some of the clients can be challenging

2. "Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Hamilton, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Hamilton, NJ

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you work hard there is great opportunity for growth

Cons

The operation if growing very fast

3. "GIS Specialist"

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A medium sized company with Nationwide talent and contracts. Great team members and great leaders at the local level. Despite the ups and downs of consulting in a saturated market, I'd recommend this company to my peers.

Cons

The intentions of the executives at the C-level are to create a culture of excellence. However, the fruits of that labor will likely not make it down to the worker bees. Uncertain how long the company will remain privately held.

Advice to Management

Our reputation is our brand is tomorrow's win. Keep client satisfaction at the forefront, no matter the challenge involved.

"If you don't like your home life, Baker is the company for you."

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Midvale, UT

I worked at Michael Baker International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people who know their job. The company puts out quality work. I really enjoyed the work I was doing.

You get paid straight time for hours over 40. Fairly competitive compensation package, though you likely can make more elsewhere.

Cons

Investor owned, you are just a serial number to the company.

Little to no training unless you are a minority or woman. I was actually told "go find a youtube video or something" by my manager when I informed him that I had never used inroads before when I was assigned to design a roadway corridor.

Also expect over 100% utilization, especially if assigned to a design build. My normal working hours were closer to 45 than 40 most weeks and after I was assigned to a design build project my hours were between 55-60 most weeks. If you complain about working so much or being overloaded managements typical response was "don't you like money?" and then they would brush you off. Also expect to essentially have to ask permission to only work a 40 hour week and good luck taking vacation time off unless its thanksgiving weekend or between christmas and newyears.

Rampant tribalism between the traditional project design teams and the design build design teams, project managers would not share workers with other teams. Consequently some people were barely pulling 40 hour weeks while others were working 60s.

Bonuses were extremely rare unless you were a manager who was high ranking enough that you weren't really doing production work. So when managers would decide to advance the schedule of a project to receive an early completion bonus, the staff doing the bulk of the work would see none of the bonus.

Don't expect to grow or be allowed to shift sideways in the company, they hired you for one task and if you express an interest in cross training in another discipline they assume you don't like your job and you get informally blacklisted and sidelined. With few exceptions, most people were hired from outside, not promoted from within.

While I was there we had 2 CEOs and i lost track of how many different COOs we had, seemed like every 3-6 months somebody with the "Chief XYZ Officer" title would leave the company and be replaced by someone from outside. Not really sure what anyone above office manager actually did for the company, each office was functionally treated as a separate company for all intents and purposes, executive leadership was only ever acknowledged when they would make some company policy change (usually for the benefit of corporate investors) or when they would do the quarterly newsletters.

Advice to Management

I worked in the mountain region. Leadership there was sorely lacking. A lot of the managers liked having the manager title and pay but didn't do much in the way of managing or coordinating resources. Managers should consult with the employees who would actually be doing the work when deciding on whether or not to accelerate a schedule. Inform the lower ranks of what is happening and what decisions need to be made or have been made. There is a huge disconnect between even mid level managers and the rank and file.

Quit hiring so many regional practice leads or special interest "has a phd and 30 years experience as the directer of such and such organization" employees that look good on the corporate resume and instead focus on building up the employees you already have that do the actual work.

Work on improving company culture to make it feel more like one company. It seemed most offices competed against each other and were isolated in their own little bubble instead of being one big happy company.

"Just another consulting company"

Former Employee - Associate Engineer in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Engineer in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Michael Baker International full-time

Pros

Good opportunities to work on interesting projects. Upward mobility is present, but slow. Some managers offer telecommuting options. I recommend it as a good place to work for a while and gain experience, but I don't see it as a long-term career option for most people.

Cons

There's little to no company culture. Baker has acquired several smaller firms over the years and there is no meaningful connection across the company. Pay and benefits are average for the industry, nothing special to entice people into sticking around long-term. Small annual raises (2-3% average per employee). No annual bonuses. Severely reduced the employee referral bonus and professional certification bonus. Took away company-issued cell phones. Weak tuition reimbursement. Eliminated unlimited sick days and then pooled sick and vacation days into a single PTO pot, meaning everyone comes to work sick now because they don't want to use PTO. Baker has been slowly stripping away the benefits that made RBF a good company to work for and has turned it into just another consulting company.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to get control of Baker's company culture. Offer benefits that entice employees to stay and make it a company they're proud to work for. People want job security, good benefits, recognition, and the feeling their hard work benefits the entire company and not just Tom Campbell's bottom line.

"Not terrible, but not as good for planners"

Current Employee - City Planner in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - City Planner in Oakland, CA

Pros

Work flexibility, competitive salary, extensive resources

Cons

Focused on engineering and east coast culture, not very receptive or responsive to west coast planners. Very bureaucratic and poor communication from upper management.

Advice to Management

Listen to the ground-level employees and focus more on career development, kinship, and meeting team needs. Follow up spoken promises with action to show it's not just lip service.

7. "Civil Associate"

Current Employee - Civil Associate in North Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Associate in North Ontario, CA

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Alternating Schedule, great learning opportunities

Cons

no advancement opportunities, high turnover

"Good and Bad"

I worked at Michael Baker International full-time

Pros

Coworkers genuinely care about their clients and want to do great work.

Cons

Ownership and senior management have driven experience away. Bottom line is all that matters. Employee morale is not good. Employees always waiting for next downsizing.. Sad to continue to hear that bright young talent continues to leave company. Company is said to be making money but ownership is not satisfied and employees are not rewarded for efforts.

9. "Civil Engineer Assistant"

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule as long as you get your work done.

Cons

New employees sometimes kept outside of the loop and get random tasks assigned without being properly introduced to a project.

10. "No room for growth!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great teams, Opportunity for teleworking.

Cons

Poor management, No room for growth.