Michael Baker International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Michael Baker International Chief Executive Officer Brian Lutes
Brian Lutes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company has good work environment people are very helpful" (in 18 reviews)

• "Enjoyed my tenure with the company - great people and good company" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "I lost count of the number of upper management changes over the past year" (in 12 reviews)

• "Many corporate leadership position changes have been occurring quite often in recent years" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Analyst II"

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time

Pros

Management encourages job growth and promotion

Cons

Some of the clients can be challenging

2. "Civil Associate 1"

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time

Pros

Projects we do really make a difference to the community.

Cons

Outdated office space, no bonuses

3. "Baker your way through"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on your position, the environment is flexible and co-workers are friendly. Good pay and great benefits.

Cons

Balance of work life and family. Budget oriented.

Advice to Management

Invest more on marketing and client engagement

"I hear the violins playing, MBI is going down like the Titanic"

Current Employee - Engineer in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice variety of work, good clients, good life/ work balance, decent benefits.

Cons

Sadly, Michael Baker is going down. I lost count of the number of upper management changes over the past year! Often they fire one 6 figure salary and replace it with two new 6 figure salaries. I have never seen anyone below mid level management receive a bonus, and we have had many many record profit years. The new trend seems to be a desire of upper management to get rid of all loyal employees who have been there longer than 10 years. It’s sad. There were many years that those same employees stuck it out and stayed even when things were bad and they had other opportunities. Employee loyalty has no value to the current management of the week. Management pats itself on the back and floats out of the door at 4:30 everyday and settles into their shiny new Lexus and Mercedes. They forget that the grunts are those who pay for their pretty cars and new in-ground pools. They forget that the clients are buying the expertise and talent of the grunts. Management, good luck keeping your pretty perks when there are no grunts left to actually produce the construction documents!

Advice to Management

Wake up and realize that YOU are not what makes Baker a good company! The architects, engineers, construction inspectors, drafters, admin people, mailroom people, accounting clerks, archeologists, etc, etc, ie, the actual creators of the product are the ones who make Baker great! Without us, you are just another used car salesman trying to fool somebody into thinking that you have something they want.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Ontario, CA

I worked at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not many to share. Everyone is out for their self.

Cons

No bonus structure or acolades for working hard. Only way to get a decent raise is to threaten to leave.

"Michael Baker"

I worked at Michael Baker International (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent Work-life balance. Good people but they are leaving everyday.

Cons

No incentives. Very poor upper management and leadership. Profits all go to the Board.

"Sinking ship"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible work works and variety of projects.

Cons

Corporate culture is kill the comradery of the old RBF. Many of the experienced staff is leaving and they are hiring young inexperience people on the cheep

Advice to Management

Worry about the client and not counting beans

8. "Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Hamilton, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Hamilton, NJ

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you work hard there is great opportunity for growth

Cons

The operation if growing very fast

9. "GIS Specialist"

Pros

A medium sized company with Nationwide talent and contracts. Great team members and great leaders at the local level. Despite the ups and downs of consulting in a saturated market, I'd recommend this company to my peers.

Cons

The intentions of the executives at the C-level are to create a culture of excellence. However, the fruits of that labor will likely not make it down to the worker bees. Uncertain how long the company will remain privately held.

Advice to Management

Our reputation is our brand is tomorrow's win. Keep client satisfaction at the forefront, no matter the challenge involved.

"Just another consulting company"

Former Employee - Associate Engineer in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Engineer in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Michael Baker International full-time

Pros

Good opportunities to work on interesting projects. Upward mobility is present, but slow. Some managers offer telecommuting options. I recommend it as a good place to work for a while and gain experience, but I don't see it as a long-term career option for most people.

Cons

There's little to no company culture. Baker has acquired several smaller firms over the years and there is no meaningful connection across the company. Pay and benefits are average for the industry, nothing special to entice people into sticking around long-term. Small annual raises (2-3% average per employee). No annual bonuses. Severely reduced the employee referral bonus and professional certification bonus. Took away company-issued cell phones. Weak tuition reimbursement. Eliminated unlimited sick days and then pooled sick and vacation days into a single PTO pot, meaning everyone comes to work sick now because they don't want to use PTO. Baker has been slowly stripping away the benefits that made RBF a good company to work for and has turned it into just another consulting company.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to get control of Baker's company culture. Offer benefits that entice employees to stay and make it a company they're proud to work for. People want job security, good benefits, recognition, and the feeling their hard work benefits the entire company and not just Tom Campbell's bottom line.