Michael Baker International Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael Baker International Chief Executive Officer Brian Lutes
Brian Lutes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No bonuses to speak of (unless you are in upper management) (in 9 reviews)

• Let's the prime contractor dictate who gets to keep their job even though the employee didn't do anything that would require that he be let go (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company and great vision by our CEO."

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Michael Baker has some really talented people that want to be successful together. The Wolf Pack concept is on point and a mantra that demonstrates how we support each together.

Cons

Trying to accomplish a lot quickly but it's all good and everything is going in the right direction. We need to continue to take strategic steps and make key hires that will improve the way we do our business.

Advice to Management

Keep looking forward as the right things are being accomplished.

2. "Inspector"

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time

Pros

The company has good work environment people are very helpful. The manager will take real good care of you. They will make sure that you have the right equipment to work on field.

Cons

company does not sponsor work visa's for everyone

3. "Trending Updward!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great projects, great work/life balance!

Cons

There was a number of changes in executive leadership, but the work the new solid group has done in a short amount of time is impressive. Upward trending!

Advice to Management

Promote the importance of building strong personal relationships among co-workers to help develop a tighter, more fun culture company wide.

4. "Business Development"

Current Employee - Business Development in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Orange, CA

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with professionals that value what you do. Access to the collective knowledge and experience of a wide range of experts in all aspects of A/E/C services. Opportunity to innovate and be creative.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about current state of the company. Things are continually improving.

Advice to Management

Continue to implement positive change and employee-centric initiatives.

"Bottom Line Mindset"

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time

Pros

Coworkers seem to care about job

Cons

Management lays off experienced people

Advice to Management

Sell the company to somebody who cares

Oct 3, 2017 – PR Specialist

We appreciate team member feedback and encourage you to contact your local Human Resources Business Partner if you’d like to continue this conversation.

"Good starter - better if changes made"

Current Employee - Civil Associate
    Current Employee - Civil Associate

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, opportunities for involvement/volunteering, company events, training available

Cons

Underpaid, all about the overhead, don't give recognition to those who do more than bare minimum.

Advice to Management

Compensation, appreciation, recognition will help with retaining employees.

Oct 3, 2017 – PR Specialist

We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience. We aspire to attract, develop and retain the best talent in the industry and are focused on a performance-driven culture. If you would... More

"Lack of job growth/advancement"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Moon Township, PA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Moon Township, PA

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice and friendly, exposure to different kinds of work. Nice office location and the desk/ work area is large.

Cons

There is no plan for advancement. No one above you has any concern about you and your career, mentoring you or helping you succeed. It is absolutely a "everyone for themselves" environment. People who succeed here would succeed anywhere... their success is in spite of the system, not because of it.

Advice to Management

The managers need to have more incentive to develop staff and less on their own work. Everyone is only looking out for themselves. Only a small amount of junior staff are put in a position to succeed. If the managers don't care to mentor/develop junior staff and there is no plan in place for career development, the company will be in serious trouble down the road.

Oct 3, 2017 – PR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We care about cultivating a performance-driven culture that encourages career development and recognizes good performance. We appreciate your... More

"It was once a great company to work for!"

I worked at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I can't say enough about the people I worked with. I miss them and keep in touch with most of them to this day. The employees really cared about each other before the firm was purchased but merging 7 companies together and merging offices did not go smoothly.

Cons

Most of the people that held Baker together were let go or left. Management changed rapidly. Too many changes at the top caused a lot of instability.

Advice to Management

Hold on tight to the employees that are left that really care about making things great again!

"Sad Decline"

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time

Pros

Some very talented professionals remain, but dwindling each month.

Cons

Since acquisition by DC Capital, executive leadership weak, generally unqualified, and untrustworthy. CEO Brian Lutes is in way over his head. Lots of long time employees leaving on a regular basis. Morale level very low in many offices.

"Receptionist"

I worked at Michael Baker International full-time

Pros

Had a great supervisor who was fair and was easy to approach; very understanding but at the same time he was about his business. He was one of the people who held the company together. What happen is the company was sold to th e ones that call it international now.

Cons

The executives just like the old executives are rude, don't treat employees with respect, they may not treat all employees the same as far as respect.

Advice to Management

Treat employees as I was, with the same respect you would want to be treated.