Michael Baker International Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 28, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No bonuses to speak of (unless you are in upper management) (in 9 reviews)

• The lack of leadership is self evident (in 3 reviews)

1. "Very Positive Company"

Former Employee - Structures Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Structures Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Michael Baker International (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who worked there were extremely helpful in my education as an upcoming young engineer.

Cons

The structure of the company didn't provide me many opportunities to work on different projects.

"Good people, but upper management lacks vision."

Current Employee - Traffic Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Traffic Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is where I got my start and my coworkers were outgoing, friendly, and good mentors. The company has a rich history and a surprising portion of the work force is involved in their communities and volunteering. The company seems to be pursuing larger jobs now, and we are starting to regain our footing as a prime.

Cons

Upper management seriously lacks talent and is very near-sighted. If they focused more on the work that they we do rather than quarterly metrics then we wouldn't have to worry about the bottom line in the first place. Corporate has created an atmosphere where upper management worships 2 metrics as if they are part of the ten commandments, which works but prevents simple and necessary functions of everyday work. Specifically, I have worked there for a year and a half and I have not had any training with anything, other than someone sitting with me for a half hour. I have had 0 training with a CADD program, which right now I guess I'm just expected to know how to use it. If it wasn't for the internet I would be in a world of hurt right now. They are also really cheap. They don't even give out pens with our company logo on it, so if you want a polo, forget about it. That $20 shirt would be too much overhead, don't be silly.

Advice to Management

Loosen up a bit. Focus on your people, money will come, but you need to build confidence from within before you can project it to others.

"not a happy MBI alum"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Michael Baker International (Less than a year)

Pros

Mission focus of employees
    Team spirit across management levels

Cons

lack of leadership
    no long term strategy
    no management tennents - no creed

Advice to Management

none - they wouldn't listen anyway

"Corporate Greed"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Rank and file mostly excellent to work with; dedicated to their profession if not to the company itself.

Cons

Upper management is blatantly self-serving. It's bad enough to rip for your staff worse and worse every year but at least stop making bonus promises and then breaking them, stop flying upper management to frequent "meetings" that always seem to be in expensive resort locations and then giving out below-par raises to those actually generating the profit. And $35/month - before IRS tax deduction - is supposed to cover our corporate cell phone bill? Other companies pay twice that monthly amount. These things add insult to injury.

Advice to Management

Get down off your high horses, upper management, before you lose more of your talented and hard-working staff to your unrelenting greed and arrogance. Prides goes before a fall.

"Not Recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Michael Baker International (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part staff are good people.

Cons

Company is run by venture capital owners. The organization has undergone tremendous change.

"Missing The Way Things Were"

Current Employee - Management in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Management in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good group of people to work with.

Cons

They seem to care more about the bottom line then their employees. They let a lot of good people go and a lot of people have left. Office morale is low and management doesn't seem to care.

Advice to Management

Put the Human back into Human Resources, do something about office morale, value your employees. They are your biggest asset!

"GIS/GIT Professional"

Former Employee - GIT Associate in Pylesville, MD
    Former Employee - GIT Associate in Pylesville, MD

I worked at Michael Baker International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I believe that the experience I had would have been better if I had worked in another department or on another type of project.

Cons

They should not hire people just for one contract, tell them it is a permanent position, and then lay them off when the contract does not renew. They could at least try to find other work for them. They should also provide all available information up front about the nature of work on a project before hiring someone.

Advice to Management

Try to provide more information to candidates for your positions before hiring them. This includes being upfront about the possibility of layoffs and the nature of the work they will be doing.

"Good people, struggling company"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Michael Baker International (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hard working professionals that are passionate about the services provided. Great place for new professionals looking to gain exposure to many areas in a short amount of time.

Cons

Frequent changes to strategic plans, financial goals, as well a revolving door for executive and senior-level management result in a very volatile company. Work-life-balance is a challenge. Employees gain a lot of experience because they average 55-60 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee concerns, respond with a realistic, detailed plan AND follow-up! Responses mean nothing if the problems continue to occur.

"Not employee focused"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

connections to colleagues all over the country

Cons

everyone is in a geographic silo; management is constantly changing; a culture of fear

Advice to Management

create some stability and vision and focus on taking care of your employees

"Okay place to work"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Michael Baker International (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, group events, play hard

Cons

Corporate changing fast ! A lot of good people left.....