Michael Baker International Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 10, 2020

3.7
Michael Baker International Chief Executive Officer Brian Lutes
Brian Lutes
Pros
  • "The company has good work environment people are very helpful(in 19 reviews)

• "Great People and Big Projects to work on that are challenging but rewarding(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "At times conflict among upper management(in 19 reviews)

• "The path to advancement is through project management(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

michael baker does all kind of work, if you have Clearance tehre is plenty opp

Nov 7, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, decent environment if you are in right team

Cons

too much controlled by the upper management

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Overall Good for new and young professionals

Nov 10, 2020 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed environment, work culture (social and professional development activities) and generally good place for new and young professionals to learn

Cons

Upper Management in flux and needs better leadership experience/ abilities, lacks leadership diversity, compensation

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Confused company

Oct 2, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, convenient location, easy going coworkers

Cons

Lack of direction from upper management, lack of trust, no support to find work or work share opportunities

1 person found this review helpful

Social Support

At Michael Baker International, we take great pride in our performance-driven culture. To contribute to our high performing culture, our leaders are committed to investing in excellence. If you would like to share more, you can reach us directly at socialsupport@mbakerintl.com.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Company

Apr 30, 2020 - IT Support Technician in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The staff at the office that I worked at were great.

Cons

Upper management needs some improvements.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Revolving door, no loyalty, burdensome processes

Jul 30, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fairly easy to get hired...they have such a revolving door that they're always looking for people.

Cons

Revolving door at the upper management level = pervasive insecure feeling throughout company. They just booted their COO...although he'd been in the position a record 2+ years....this coming a year after terminating 4 senior/executive vice presidents. Legacy employees get the shaft on salary. People that left the company and are rehired (sometimes years later) are making more than current staff in the same position. Endless, burdensome project management processes. Owner of the company is a venture capitalist whose portfolio includes a company running the border concentration camps. ie - getting paid $750+/per day/per caged child. Culture of fear: threatened to have your performance review impacted for EVERYTHING from turning in your time sheet late, to not completing training. You're reminded daily that they don't trust you with your time (when you log in to your computer) and are warned that they have access to your email and instant messaging. HUGE disconnect between Corporate Communication/Operations/C-Suite. Zero upper management buy-in for diversity/inclusiveness programs.

13 people found this review helpful

Social Support

We’re disappointed to hear about your experience. We place a high value on creating a strong sense of community and a team environment as part of our performance-driven culture. If you would like to continue the conversation and provide further details, you can reach us directly at socialsupport@mbakerintl.com.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Was much better early on, then slowly degraded

May 25, 2019 - Carpenter in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

They had work.... They did have a good medical insurance policy..... Salary is competitive for their market, but it is nothing like it was 5 years ago.

Cons

Upper Management including PMs were usually very unqualified and the company would take it out on the construction management and construction end. They would always lower pay and try to stifle your 'position' then pull you back in as a lower grade to do work that was above your grade or skill level that they were paying you for. They would host workers jobs as a shell game and trick people all the time.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Current Employee

Civil associate

Oct 16, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some coworkers are nice and hard working.

Cons

Upper management runned by heavy poltics. Stay away from Hamilton office. Stay away from Environmental and Water group.

Social Support

We're disappointed to read your review but appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Our people are our most valuable resource and we take great pride in our performance-driven culture. If you would like to share more about your experience, please reach out to your HR Business Partner or contact us directly at socialsupport@mbakerintl.com.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Solid Company

Jan 20, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ability to work up the ladder, good communication, and open-minded environment

Cons

At times conflict among upper management

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good people, but upper management lacks vision.

Nov 25, 2016 - Traffic Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is where I got my start and my coworkers were outgoing, friendly, and good mentors. The company has a rich history and a surprising portion of the work force is involved in their communities and volunteering. The company seems to be pursuing larger jobs now, and we are starting to regain our footing as a prime.

Cons

Upper management seriously lacks talent and is very near-sighted. If they focused more on the work that they we do rather than quarterly metrics then we wouldn't have to worry about the bottom line in the first place. Corporate has created an atmosphere where upper management worships 2 metrics as if they are part of the ten commandments, which works but prevents simple and necessary functions of everyday work. Specifically, I have worked there for a year and a half and I have not had any training with anything, other than someone sitting with me for a half hour. I have had 0 training with a CADD program, which right now I guess I'm just expected to know how to use it. If it wasn't for the internet I would be in a world of hurt right now. They are also really cheap. They don't even give out pens with our company logo on it, so if you want a polo, forget about it. That $20 shirt would be too much overhead, don't be silly.

5 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Michael Baker

Sep 25, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent Work-life balance. Good people but they are leaving everyday.

Cons

No incentives. Very poor upper management and leadership. Profits all go to the Board.

7 people found this review helpful