KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Michael Baker International

Is this your company?

Michael Baker International

Add a Review

Michael Baker International Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Jan 15, 2020

3.7
Michael Baker International Chief Executive Officer Brian Lutes
Brian Lutes
Pros
  • "The company has good work environment people are very helpful(in 19 reviews)

• "Great People and Big Projects to work on that are challenging but rewarding(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "At times conflict among upper management(in 19 reviews)

• "The path to advancement is through project management(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Inspector

Oct 21, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has good work environment people are very helpful. The manager will take real good care of you. They will make sure that you have the right equipment to work on field.

Cons

company does not sponsor work visa's for everyone

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good working environment

Jan 15, 2020 - ITSTraffic Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

# Ample opportunities for professional growth # Focus on work quality and good client relations # Flexible work environment

Cons

# Didn't pay for a cross country relocation even for a mid-level position # High health insurance costs for family # 401(k) is contributions doesn't start immediately after start and not vested until 3 years of employment

Michael Baker International Response

Social Support

We appreciate you sharing your experience. Our employees are at the heart of our business, and we are committed to achieving excellence in our Employee Experience by providing programs, resources and other incentives that help our employees reach their professional goals. If you would like to share more about your experience, please reach out to your HR Business Partner or contact us directly at socialsupport@mbakerintl.com.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee

Salaried employees...

Sep 9, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent salaries prior to overtime requirements, fairly flexible working environment, nice coworkers. Good employer, but there are cons that may outweigh the pros. I would recommend to a friend, with fair warning.

Cons

Long hours with rare opportunity to obtain OT pay as a salaried employee, which means salaried employees may be required to work 40 - 80hrs without the opportunity for OT pay. Someone who is not salaried can make OT pay and with Baker's high salaries end up making more than a salaried employee who is licensed and required to work long hours. Some managers take credit for work done by others and like to throw staff under the bus in front of clients or consultants. Working on projects with multiple offices becomes daunting when managers don't realize you have deadlines for other projects, i.e. deadlines pile up one after the other for projects from managers outside your home office.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

There are a lot of fires that need putting out. If you can find a job elsewhere, take it.

Oct 12, 2014 - Environmental Associate I in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

It probably depends on your office. Within the office I worked in, plenty of interesting work and good people. A very laid back work environment where you can come and go as you please as long as the work gets done. Decent benefits, good 401k match.

Cons

I was only at Baker for a little over a year, but I can confidently say that the executive management is a joke. For example, after giving an average raise of 1.6%, they had the nerve to send out a company wide email indicating that they had just leased the top two floors of a skyscraper in downtown Pittsburgh for the executive management. Talk about a big 'screw you' to every employee. Over the past year, people have been leaving in droves and morale is at rock bottom. There is a 'town hall' meeting coming up in November where the executive management is going to attempt to explain what the hell happened in addition to rolling out their new policies. I'm sure the meeting will be nothing short of a dumpster fire.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A great experience with the company

Mar 5, 2013 - Civil Associate II in Pittsburgh, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

People were really friendly. The working environment is also very good so you can work with people and enjoy your daily routine everyday instead of just waiting 5 o'clock. The 401k matching benefit and the scholarship program is a bonus to me.

Cons

While the job is stable and enjoyable, the compensation is not as good as some other companies. But this is something people have to choose, I guess, between a stable with lower compensation position and a riskier with higher salary position.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Intern, more than 1 year

intern

Oct 17, 2016 - Intern in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment and great people. Always busy, and opportunity to do office and field work. In all meetings like full-time employees

Cons

No too much company activities like happy hours or anything which would of been nice to have. Once I was on a project wish I could have been moved around to learn more but wouldn't do so.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee

Comfortable Place to Work

Dec 3, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Michael Baker is a comfortable place to work. I'm sure there are factors within each department and location which could effect your workload and hours, but overall most of the people come off as being comfortable with their work environment.

Cons

Mergers and acquisitions effect the culture of the organization. It has proven to be hard to mesh such differing cultures at times.

8. 4.0

Good First Impressions

Feb 3, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work environment and experienced co workers

Cons

Big company inertia...forms...forms...forms and a penchant for confusing meetings with performance.

9. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Engineering Intern

Dec 27, 2016 - Anonymous Intern in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment. Project managers and senior engineers are all experts in their fields. Questions that I had were answered. Great place to intern and work.

Cons

You may work in fields you did not intend to.

10. 4.0

Great Engineers Making Great Innovations

Mar 23, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work environment is very friendly. (Depending on which office is in question)

Cons

Communication between corporate departments could use work. Not much connection between branch locations.

1 person found this review helpful