Michaels Stores Certified Custom Framer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Chuck Rubin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The full time benefits are not the best (in 180 reviews)

• It is just a part time job so you won (in 175 reviews)

1. "Certified Custom Framer"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Selinsgrove, PA
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Selinsgrove, PA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful managers, fun environment, clean store.

Cons

There are no cons to working here.

2. "Great working environment"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, efficient systems, good management

Cons

Company mistrust, low wages, can be high stress, hours vary dramatically

3. "framing department"

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

ability to help general public

Cons

On your own to learn the job, computer software insignificant for teaching

"It's a job"

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Glen Burnie, MD
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Glen Burnie, MD

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job for high school ages, not overly demanding

Cons

Customers are mostly rude, upper management doesn't care for employees only profit

5. "Great for a first job. Horrible for a reliable career."

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers. 30% Discount. Can learn a lot about products that can help you in the future.

Cons

Bad communication, low pay, low hours, Care about Full time employees more than part time employees

Advice to Management

Learn how to communicate, Follow your employee's availability, Dont show favortism

6. "Think carefully about what you want"

Current Employee - Full-time Certified Custom Framer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Full-time Certified Custom Framer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, customers love us, especially in framing.

Cons

Poor training results in newer associates knowing little (putting more burden on the experienced ones. Management can drive us crazy. Pay is alright, but the company doesn't want associates to get overtime, so when the work gets pulled up, it can get neglected because you just don't have the hours to get it done.

Advice to Management

Lead, don't manage. Use positive reinforcement, and stop just getting on the case of everyone who doesn't do exactly what you want the instant you ask. How competent purple and treat them right so they'll stay.

7. "Horrible Leadership"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Davenport, FL
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Davenport, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good team members, fun work environment, 30% discount on almost all merchandise, access to learning wide variety of skills and crafts.

Cons

No morale, no appreciation, no advancement opportunities, very little leadership or guidance, unprofessional work environment, minimum wage pay, high stress-no reward environment.

Advice to Management

Management at my store is very poor. My store manager has no idea how to address problems or even speak to employees without belittling them. When they have a problem with the employee, they tell everyone BUT that employee. Take some leadership courses or seminars to learn the basic fundamentals of being a manager.

8. "Potentially fun, but needing help in leadership and IT"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Peak season makes for plenty to do and plenty of overtime opportunity. The benefits are great and the staff is usually kind.

Cons

Communication from staff about upcoming events or sales is non-existent. IT is better than it was and improving, yet well behind the times. The management is usually seasoned but not skilled. Pay is quite minimal for the Denver area. Can't afford to pay rent on the max income.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to do a better job of training leadership or providing resources.

9. "Custom framing was my favorite job at the store."

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Michael’s was a great decision. They offered a competitive pay rate and flexible hours. Many opportunities to advance.

Cons

As with any workplace, sometimes you don’t see eye to eye with everyone who works there. Michael’s has a large management staff so this may come in to play.

Advice to Management

I never had any issues with the management, but as I mentioned in the above, be aware of your employees and always hear them out. They may be getting pulled in multiple directions by multiple managers.

10. "Discount is the best part"

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Memphis, TN

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I best part about working at Michaels is the ability to be around people wanting to create and the materials to do so. I loved brainstorming and helping with designs. The associate discount was nice also. 30% would be discounted on regular prices and sales (not clearance). So it would be for a item on sale 50% off for example, 50% off THEN an additional 30% off. This was fabulous for gifting on the cheap and for stocking up on crafting supplies myself. The discount was the best part about the job, besides the people you meet and the stories you aquire along the way. This is the longest employment I have kept with a company. When I started, it was a private company. I loved it and that's why I stayed so long. Once they sold it to private equity firms, it went downhill. If anyone asks me about this business, I tell them that if they're creative and want to get a nice discount to go for it, but I also make mention of the negative circumstances that come with it.

Cons

In my experience, the pay did not make it worthwhile. I was rehired as a part time employee with over 5 years of prior experience at the same location, but different management. Despite being more than qualified, I never made it past $9.40. The raises my co-workers and I would recieve would be 15-20 cents, despite our store being the top store in the district. The amount of stress and physical workload this job demanded was outrageous. The schedule would be a skeleton crew with bare minimum. I had to go to physical therapy for my knees at 23 from going up and down stairs putting up top stock and unloading trucks. In addition, there is zero security for their employees. They do not prosecute shop lifters but want their employees to stop them. If legally they don't do anything, their poorly paid employees shouldn't do it. Towards the end, I stayed for the discount. After 2 years, I only got a 20 cent raise despite going above and beyond, all the while being a full time student. I left because it just wasn't logical to stay.

Advice to Management

Show your employees appreciation not through notes on a corkboard, but increases in their pay. They are working their tails off and making terrible wages. In addition, schedule fairly. Store managers, don't stack your night closing and leave 3 employees to close other nights and then get upset when everything doesn't get done. Have realistic expectations and respect for your employees. Also, actually have security. Make your employees feel safe, not like sitting ducks. Don't throw your employees under the bus when it was your decision. People in higher up positions that sit in the offices telling us the best way to do things as per test runs. Each of you should take a month minimum and spend it in a location. Actually experience what it's like to be on the front lines. I'm sure it would affect the way you treat your employees.