Michaels Stores Framer Reviews | Glassdoor

Framer

3.4
Chuck Rubin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great employee discount - 30% off entire purchase including sales (in 268 reviews)

• It's nice to see some customers arts and crafts and happiness they get from their hobbies (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Granted you aren't doing much that requires skill but it's not worth working there in a part-time capacity (in 168 reviews)

• Very little full time opportunities (in 163 reviews)

"Love hate relationship"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer and Sales Associate in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people and they treat you well if you're a good worker. I love art, so I fit right in, and you can't beat the awesome discount. I enjoy working with the great customers (most of them) back in the frameshop and flourish in this environment because I know how to work with people and love to help others.

Cons

The pay is not great. There are places where you could get a lot more for way less work. They didn't give me the required raise from moving into the framing department from sales associate and even forgot to apply my raise after my 5/5 employee review. Make sure they give you the right pay because all of my managers "forgot"? I still haven't gotten it after working for over two years. Moving to a managers position, if part time, may only give you a 1.25 raise, but they tend to promote within the company if there are good prospects. My only other. Complaint is that they are incredibly understaffed. They only have like one floor person per night shift even during the Christmas season, which makes customers very unsatisfied, versus somewhere like hobby lobby which has almost one employee per isle every time I go. I just don't understand how we don't "make enough money" to give out more hours..... Turnover ratio is incredibly high because most employees don't really care about their job and look elsewhere for higher pay and more hours. Michael's schedules part-timers in 4 hour shifts just so you can't take a lunch.

Advice to Management

Have more employees in the floor and give better pay/hours if you want to lower turnover ratio of employees. You'd lose less money of hiring and training new people.

"Not bad; but Communication Could Be Better"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Enfield, CT

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in with great people. Friendly work environment.

Cons

The communication could be better. The Managers don't seem to talk to each other as well as they could. The training is practically non-existent which means you have employees who have worked at the store forever picking up the slack for all the newbies who were never taught the right way to complete their tasks.

Advice to Management

Work on training your employees the right way right from the start. Show that you care about the store enough to follow corporate directions and the new employees will care too.

"Varies from Store to Store"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are good, the products are fun, the associates (at my store) are amazing!

Cons

Corporate is disconnected, the workflow for the replenishment team is ALL OVER THE PLACE. One week, the poor managers are scrambling to find enough people for everything, and the next week there are no hours for anyone. I understand that this is a seasonal industry and that the workflow will vary from season to season, but there is no reason for this in May! It's just poor planning on the part of corporate.

4. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Meriden, CT
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Meriden, CT

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, fun work environment

Cons

Not enough hours, doesn't take much thinking

Advice to Management

Allow stores to give more hours

"Great Enviroment, Terrible Customers"

Current Employee - Custom Framer in Oviedo, FL
    Current Employee - Custom Framer in Oviedo, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Store is easy to navigate
    Hours are flexible
    Co-workers are incredible
    Management is very accommodating to personal need and tries to make everyone feel comfortable

Cons

Customers are some of the worst I have ever encountered
    Pay is sub-optimal
    Not enough hours to go around
    corporate policies make working your job difficult at times.

Advice to Management

Reworking your scheduling system to give the proper amount of hours to all employees

6. "part time framer"

Current Employee - Certified Picture Framer in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Certified Picture Framer in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The other employees - creative and fun. Encouraging and constructive environment. Helping solve customers projects, using my arts knowledge. Satisfying when customers appreciate and thank you -- and when they come back and search you out.

Cons

its only part time, I wish there was a full time opportunity aside from managerial spots. Picture framing department push for sales - i'm not a 'salesman' or pushy- I wish there was training on improving sales skills to achieve these goals.

7. "Fun crafty place to work"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Irving, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-exposed to a wide array of craft and art supplies and skills between fellow employee and customer interaction.
    -can advance in company if it's something you desire

Cons

-despite being a large company, set rules and procedures are not followed from location to location
    -hours week to week change despite submitting your availability

Advice to Management

-keep making it fun and exciting for employees.
    -keep a closer eye through management on following through with set procedures

8. "Framer"

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Burlington, MA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people all caring and creative

Cons

Typical retailer schedule never knew if you had the weekend off till Thurs Friday before. Had to use my lunch time to train as framer to get in training hours never available.

Advice to Management

In stores do their best corporate should allow some store creativity to shine your employees have the talent use it.

"Certified Custom Framer"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's interesting work. You get to be creative and help people be crafty and have to think outside the box to find solutions to odd problems.

Cons

Management is awful. Many managers don't do their job and are paid more than associates (who do most of the work). That being said, a lot of part time associates are lazy as well, but it stinks when you're being paid the same as the lazy people even when you work much harder. Hard work is never recognized, let alone rewarded. As a framer, Corporate has impossibly unreachable sales goals for the frame shop, and it's all they care about. When I was being trained as a Framer, I was taught many ways to try to get customers to pay more than they wanted or needed to for frames. It seems the guidelines are focused on screwing customers over and getting quick money from them, instead of trying to create returning customers. The company charges WAY too much for everything as well.

Advice to Management

Actually do your job. Promote and reward hard work. Do not let associates be lazy. Pay employees a decent wage and maybe they'll be more likely to do a good job.

"Good Stores and Bad Stores"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Blaine, MN
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Blaine, MN

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm lucky enough to work at a store that is managed by great people that not only know how to lead, but care about their workers.

Cons

There are some stores that DO NOT care about their employees or customers.