Michaels Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Great employee discount - 30% off entire purchase including sales (in 250 reviews)

• It's nice to see some customers arts and crafts and happiness they get from their hobbies (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • part-time roles, cannot make too much money (in 157 reviews)

• No full time position unless youre management (in 150 reviews)

1. "Underpaying, Overworking, Lack of Direction/Comm/Appreciation"

Former Employee - Replenishment Associate in Bayonne, NJ
    Former Employee - Replenishment Associate in Bayonne, NJ

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Coworkers (most anyway)
    That's it really.

Cons

Pay is a joke. Working for about 3 years I ended up with a whopping $9.45 after being put through schedules involving double midnight trucks, Excessive hours to complete truck when understaffed and overloaded. Imagine having to lose out on your entire week because of having to go into work sunday night Monday morning at 12 A.m for about 9 hours. sometimes 8 if its lighter, latest would be 10 hours. Then go back to work at 5 a.m. the following day. Wednesday you work at 12 A.m midnight again. Thursday back at 5, and Friday back at 5. On top of that you get no inconvenience pay for working overnight. Most of us got sick from the lack of sleep, eating, and missed out on our daily lives trying to make up lost sleep. Appreciation really didn't exist. Then you have Lack of communication, disrespect from managers (not all managers are bad). I've had hours stolen, pushed to do work outside of replenishment just to be able to keep my checks consistent to put money twords rent and debt. (Which is doesn't even cover) It would be nice to say I enjoyed working there but it has been nothing more than a pool of drama. Were it not for my former co workers (we're all friends outside of work) I would have lost it. Simply put, Michael's will take advantage of you if they can, they truly don't care how you feel, Michael's cares has not helped a fellow employee in need, and for all your hard work and forced dedication (which is a must even if you have other obligations) you get paid peanuts. So much for Michael's cares and the Michael's Spirit.

Advice to Management

Pretending to care about your employees does not motivate and raise morale. When most of your store is not happy with the status quo you need to do something rather than pretend you care with nonsense activities and events. For starters for the replenishment crew who did/does most of the work in the store how about a better pay rate. Slightly over minimum wage with 20 cent raises and so fourth is insane. You expect the world out of us for a part time (Full time is for managers only) job yet give us no incentive to want to remain with you. My co workers stayed because it was either all they had (unfortunate circumstances), they need to supplement their current income or they are a student.

2. "Do not become a loss prevention agent for Michael's"

Former Employee - Loss Prevention in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Wear regular clothes, employee discount, you get to walk around all shift pretending to be a customer.

Cons

Horrible hours, horrible pay, horrible management, everyone wants to complain about everything, boss will not have your back.

Advice to Management

Get a reality check. People do not want to work hard for horrible pay. 90% of the time it's not the employee that's the problem.

"Worst job ever"

Former Employee - Over Night Stock Seasonal in Staten Island, NY
    Former Employee - Over Night Stock Seasonal in Staten Island, NY

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% discount on all items except clearance

Cons

Minimum wage, they hire anyone, no employee training, stock is hard labor, bad managers, short breaks, & not enough hours.

Advice to Management

Fix your policies, people shouldn't be lifting large 100lb boxes without help of another, glass is always broken in boxes yet we have no safety gear, and those who do hard work shouldn't be hired at minimum wage and no benefits.

"lack of ethics, moral, respect, safety"

Current Employee - Production Manager in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Everett, MA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none, not even good health insurance

Cons

The company does not support their employees, Company is run as a factory, employees are force to work sick, through lunch, employees are not allowed days off during holidays, summer etc,, . Overall the company treats employees as if they are robots and not human. Their moto " once you are hire you sign your life to us. Terrible place to work, no ethics or moral

Advice to Management

You are hiring being, treat them as such, let them work and enjoy this short life. Hire part time temps on holidays, summers, to fill in gaps for your full time employees that deserve time with family as well as time off for a mental break.

"Inadequate training"

Former Employee - Associate in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, some friendly co-workers.

Cons

Horrible/almost non existent training. Very stressful environment. Ridiculous expectations. Fired for spending average of 2 minutes per customer.

Advice to Management

Offer better training. Have realistic expectations.

"Management Issues"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Petaluma, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Clean environment
    -Convenient location
    -30% employee discount
    -Online hours system
    -Other employees are generally really nice

Cons

-No respect for cashiers/sales floor
    -I always felt on edge, like I'd done something wrong, no matter how hard I was working. I wasn't the only one.
    -You only are recognized for failures, never achievments
    -Management often let time off requests expire

Advice to Management

Work with the store as a team, get people motivated not intimidated.

"Mega Negative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, CA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Almost (almost) acceptable cheap and below-average, in-store employee discount program.

Cons

Zero desire to acknowledge their most precious asset: people (whether employees or customers). Consistent deterioration, if not intentional harm, on customer service loyalty and employee satisfaction. Repeated failures to post correct payroll. Average ask(s) to be paid correct times and amounts 3-5 times per pay cycle. It was like constant begging and negotiating. Vicious irresponsible and failed accountability triangle between parent companies, out-of-state HQ, and in-store management. Awful in-store management. Back biting same title in-store employees. Computer system that often blocks or is down and nonworking. Horrible online emails that clog up the box, espec. so-called insider employee-employer sales offers that present inflated and worthless discounts. Sloppy throwing about of coupon and product incentives as if everyone is some kind of starving animal in a cage titled "Michael's." Grossly inhumane, insensitive, and entirely irresponsible. Likely discontinued certain job titles in an effort to poorly manage necessary and mandatory wage increases.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and expect to have to create a business plan about putting yourself out of business.

9. "Horrible Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Danvers, MA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Got breaks from standing up excessively.

Cons

Rude management, disorganized, hard with hours and to plan which days needed to be taken off. Not a teen friendly job.

Advice to Management

Change schudeling system, and become more respectful to employees.

"management"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is not bad. Getting to interact with people is fun

Cons

Upper management is a joke, they play favorites with certain employee's. There is absolutely no training what so ever for any position.

Advice to Management

Train your employee's, then you won't feel so inclined to write them up if they make a mistake. Writing people up seems to be the answer for everything. I believe training your employees,along with positive reinforcement is a good idea. Just saying.

11. "Awful."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brandon, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brandon, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers are nice, and the pay is reasonable.

Cons

The management team never communicates with the rest of us. We're forced to work without breaks unless it hits 5 hours, then we're given one 30 minute lunch. Good luck if you're working 10 hours. The worst experience I've ever had working for the company. I would honestly say I would deter people from working in this store.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your team. Review the federal labor laws. Be honest with the staff and trust them.

Showing 371 of 2,603 reviews