Michaels Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Chuck Rubin

2,785 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great employee discount - 30% off entire purchase including sales (in 268 reviews)

• It's nice to see some customers arts and crafts and happiness they get from their hobbies (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Granted you aren't doing much that requires skill but it's not worth working there in a part-time capacity (in 168 reviews)

• Very little full time opportunities (in 163 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic - If you have great coworkers"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% off discount. I had great coworkers. Great place to be if you have art experience already, you'll be vital to the team if you have a well rounded knowledge on the types of arts we sell.

Cons

Customers can be awful, just like everywhere else. Typical retail complaints.

2. "Great Place To Work!"

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Columbia, MO

Pros

It really depends on the people that you work with. I ended up with a great bunch of co-workers. Everyone was very friendly, most of them knowledgeable about the products, and just all-around helpful people. I made several friends during my employment that I still keep in contact with today (I've since moved out of state).

Cons

Turn-over is probably one of the biggest downsides. Being in any retail environment, you learn to accept the fact that people come and go all the time. It can get frustrating, especially as a supervisor, to have to constantly be training people. While training new employees is part of the job, it's not the only thing!

Advice to Management

I would tell them to keep up the good work.

"The BEST place to work!"

Current Employee - Finance in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Finance in Irving, TX

Pros

I've never worked in one of the stores, but the corporate headquarters is a great place to work! It is very laid back and the management team is wonderful. I've worked there for two years and I can't imagine working anywhere else. The pay is high for my field and I always receive the utmost respect from upper management. The company offers great benefits as well. There are sample sales every few weeks and the health coverage is great. The HR department is always quick to assist in any situation. Lastly, the company always plans fun activities for the associates.

Cons

It seems as though Michaels management strategy involves many, many meetings. I've never worked anywhere where so many meetings were scheduled to address every issue under the sun.

Advice to Management

None. They are wonderful!

4. "Overall, a good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clermont, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clermont, FL

Pros

The management is great and I thought they were very professional. They are also pretty flexible to work around your schedule if you have a second job or need time off.

Cons

As with any retail store, it can be boring when there aren't many customers. You also have to deal with mean people sometimes.

Advice to Management

No advice for management. I thought they did a good job of listening. They have a good open door policy.

"Enjoy working for the company"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

opportunity to advance. encourages personal and professional development.

Cons

not enough hours in the day. lots of projects. crazy deadlines. very typical of this industry.

Advice to Management

focus more on the people, if the associates are happy, the consumers will know and they will be happy...it should be a fun place to work and shop.

6. "Fun Place to Work, Great opportunities."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

I have been with Michaels for several years and have always been treated well. My managers have always been very helpful and any new policies are always explained in detail. I feel like my hard work is noticed. If I don't know how to do something I know that I can ask and not be looked down upon.

Cons

I wish it was easier to get rid of the people who do not have good work ethic. I don't understand why you would stay somewhere if your unhappy. If you are that great of a worker you should have no problem getting a job somewhere else where you will be happy.

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees with respect and we will keep working hard for you.

"Overall a good place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fullerton, CA

Pros

Good pay with a great bonus program compared to a lot of other retailers. Lots of opportunity for advancement if you know what you're doing.

Cons

Plannogram overload....why the hell are you sending us a whole new plannogram when ONE item gets discontinued? Count on your managers to make the right decisions for the store rather than overburdening them with paperwork.

Advice to Management

Pump a few more hours into each store and you won't have to cry and moan about why things aren't getting done all the time.

8. "Loved working for michaels"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Webster, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Webster, TX

Pros

good people over all awesome work experience

Cons

their corporate department makes unfair calls

Advice to Management

none

"michaels is a fair place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Leandro, CA

Pros

lots of room for adavancement from within the company
    employee apperciation discount is awsome
    friendly ppl working
    extremly good benifits for full time associates and benifts offered to part time
    good employee reconition program
    upper management listens to ideas and issues
    focus on customer service

Cons

not so amazing raises for associates
    bonuses are a reflection of store numbers not management skills
    customers are extremly needy
    asked to do alot of things with not alot of hrs (customers take up lots of time asking and showing them where everything is time consuming but great customer service)

Advice to Management

need to restructure the truck process espically with coloaded shipments. boxes are being touched to many times. Also corp visits seem fake to me bc the stores that genreally have a neat well maintained store year round have to be less appercitated bc visits are announced and gives all the stores time to clean up and impress when really they wouldnt have looked half as nice in a supprise visit.

10. "I enjoy the customer interaction"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Enjoy the chance to grow

Cons

no concerns at this time

Advice to Management

Model theBehavior you are looking for

Showing 2,785 of 2,815 reviews