Michaels Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Chuck Rubin

1,495 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is just a part time job so you won (in 170 reviews)

• Only managers are full time so they don't have to offer benefits to the other employees (in 168 reviews)

"The BEST place to work!"

Current Employee - Finance in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Finance in Irving, TX

Pros

I've never worked in one of the stores, but the corporate headquarters is a great place to work! It is very laid back and the management team is wonderful. I've worked there for two years and I can't imagine working anywhere else. The pay is high for my field and I always receive the utmost respect from upper management. The company offers great benefits as well. There are sample sales every few weeks and the health coverage is great. The HR department is always quick to assist in any situation. Lastly, the company always plans fun activities for the associates.

Cons

It seems as though Michaels management strategy involves many, many meetings. I've never worked anywhere where so many meetings were scheduled to address every issue under the sun.

Advice to Management

None. They are wonderful!

"Enjoy working for the company"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

opportunity to advance. encourages personal and professional development.

Cons

not enough hours in the day. lots of projects. crazy deadlines. very typical of this industry.

Advice to Management

focus more on the people, if the associates are happy, the consumers will know and they will be happy...it should be a fun place to work and shop.

3. "Fun Place to Work, Great opportunities."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

I have been with Michaels for several years and have always been treated well. My managers have always been very helpful and any new policies are always explained in detail. I feel like my hard work is noticed. If I don't know how to do something I know that I can ask and not be looked down upon.

Cons

I wish it was easier to get rid of the people who do not have good work ethic. I don't understand why you would stay somewhere if your unhappy. If you are that great of a worker you should have no problem getting a job somewhere else where you will be happy.

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees with respect and we will keep working hard for you.

"Overall a good place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fullerton, CA

Pros

Good pay with a great bonus program compared to a lot of other retailers. Lots of opportunity for advancement if you know what you're doing.

Cons

Plannogram overload....why the hell are you sending us a whole new plannogram when ONE item gets discontinued? Count on your managers to make the right decisions for the store rather than overburdening them with paperwork.

Advice to Management

Pump a few more hours into each store and you won't have to cry and moan about why things aren't getting done all the time.

"michaels is a fair place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Leandro, CA

Pros

lots of room for adavancement from within the company
    employee apperciation discount is awsome
    friendly ppl working
    extremly good benifits for full time associates and benifts offered to part time
    good employee reconition program
    upper management listens to ideas and issues
    focus on customer service

Cons

not so amazing raises for associates
    bonuses are a reflection of store numbers not management skills
    customers are extremly needy
    asked to do alot of things with not alot of hrs (customers take up lots of time asking and showing them where everything is time consuming but great customer service)

Advice to Management

need to restructure the truck process espically with coloaded shipments. boxes are being touched to many times. Also corp visits seem fake to me bc the stores that genreally have a neat well maintained store year round have to be less appercitated bc visits are announced and gives all the stores time to clean up and impress when really they wouldnt have looked half as nice in a supprise visit.

6. "I enjoy the customer interaction"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Enjoy the chance to grow

Cons

no concerns at this time

Advice to Management

Model theBehavior you are looking for

7. "AWESOME company!!!"

Current Employee - Distribution Center Worker in Centralia, WA
    Current Employee - Distribution Center Worker in Centralia, WA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very concerned about all of their employees, really great benefits, progressive company, creative thinking, open to all new ideas, big into internal promotions and development, just an overall GREAT company!

Cons

The overtime is nice to get but continous overtime can be tiring...they try hard to keep up excited with BBQ's, ice cream, games, etc., it can just be a lot of hours when you work 9 hours everyday for 5 days.

"Happy if you can follow the rules."

Current Employee - Previously CEM, Currently Wilton Instructor in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Previously CEM, Currently Wilton Instructor in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Great managers, fun customers, hard working & friendly co-workers.

Cons

You need to he willing to work physically hard. Rearranging isles, displays always. Unloading trucks weekly & meeting regular deadlines. Everyone is expected to work as a team & slackers do not last long.

Advice to Management

Management is great. Very sensitive to employeess needs. They have a difficult job trying to keep upper management happy, employees happy & customers happy.

9. "Who knew a job could be this fun!"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's an inspiring place to work. You're constantly interacting with creative people that want to talk about their projects.

Cons

The has been company wide changes made and there are alot of employees that are very resistant. That same group seems to do quite a bit of gossiping about any newly hired folks. Claiming that these new co-workers stole their jobs.

Advice to Management

Communicate your goals clearly with fellow members of management. Otherwise they end up looking silly and uninformed.

10. "Very nice place to work."

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, the working environment had a positive effect on my perception on retail work and store maintenance. Management policy and store cleanliness maintenance and go-backs seemed to flow acceptably, and I can safely say that the team environment was very helpful to my perspective on how work hours go. I only regret that I couldn't be of more help within that limited time to them.

Cons

Not much I could say. I didn't have much time to stay there, since I was only working seasonal part-time. Nevertheless, from what I gathered, not much, if at all. Also, the reason for my lack of opinion on the CEO themselves had to do with me never having seen any example of their work directly. Otherwise, my perspective of them is rather positive.

Advice to Management

Not much I can remember that would help, except perhaps maybe have a sort of system for the go-backs? Then again, the time I worked was December 2007 to January 2008. Might have changed that ever since already.

Showing 1,495 of 2,914 reviews