Michaels Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 22, 2017
1,303 reviews

Current Employees

1,303 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • I got a 30% off employee discount (in 235 reviews)

• Arts and crafts at discounted rates (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation was lacking in terms of part-time pay for what tasks were asked to complete daily (in 151 reviews)

• full time options unless the store is lager (in 144 reviews)

1. "Instructor"

Current Contractor - Instructor
    Current Contractor - Instructor

I have been working at Michaels Stores as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing co-workers, nice size classroom to teach in, decent discount

Cons

Cashiers are uninformed on class sign up procedures which sometimes confuses customers and instructors.

2. "Michaels"

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Arts and crafts at discounted rates.

Cons

Typical retail part time job.

3. "Good Company with Good Values"

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

The values are spot on, it's clear the leadership is trying to promote a healthy working environment.

Cons

The company runs "real lean" which gives the team members the feeling of being over-worked.

Advice to Management

Keep the approach with the values; listen to your "over-worked" team members

5. "..."

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LGBTQ+ friendly, fun atmosphere, decent benefits for full time employees

Cons

Low pay, poor communication issues from upper management

6. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Great place to work, I get to interact with many people.

Cons

I do not have any negative comments

"It's complicated"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive Things
    1. My colleagues: The other associates are major contributors to keeping the environment upbeat and fun. In most cases, there's a general sense of cameraderie among the store staff.
    2. A Hub for Crafts and crafty people: Although Michael's seems to be in a weird Toys 'R' Us meets Pier 1 hybrid stage, its still a great place to be for an artist, a craft enthusiast, or anyone with creative interests. You can become intrigued or curious, especially when new products and trends come.
    3. Spirited: Due to the seasonal nature of the business, it's very easy to get swept up in changing seasons and holiday moods. The company as a whole really seems to get behind "the atmosphere" of everything, from emails to uniforms, decor, events, crafts, games and all.

Cons

Negative Things
    1. Underpaid: Very low salary/pay for a full time management position. Especially considering what is expected of the position.
    2. Impractical Expectations: Workload does not make sense against what we're given to work with. Your always having to "make do", but your supervisors will be expecting these huge results. In many cases, you're made to be responsible for things you have almost no control over.
    3. Skeleton Crew: This is a particularly stressful point for this position. The store is in many cases basically empty due to minimum payroll. The budget you're given often leaves room for nothing. As a result, often times, aside from a lone cashier (who may be peeved they didn't get many hours), you and maybe one other associate (the store manager, a sales associate, framer, etc.) are having to sprint around the store like a bat out of hell to do everything (the sole register back-up, answer customer phone calls, help custs on the floor, coordinate and plan company-mandated events, make time-sensitive business calls, verify in-stocks, be a loss prevention officer, recover the store, receive and send UPS shipments, fix malfunctioning computers, respond to/send emails, and on and on). All the while, the company pushes the idea that the customers should feel like we have a whole fleet of staff. This makes for an exhausting, and morale-killing day, particularly during busier times. Customers often identify this fault, voice it in colorful ways, and at some point, the blame will somehow fall on your shoulders.
    4. Training/Development: You're might be given a crash course, but all-in-all, you're left to kind of "figure it out". Most everything I learned and accomplished was either by injecting my personal skill set, by trail-and-error, or by being strategically nosey. Mostly the latter.
    Opportunity/Corporate-to-Store Disconnect: At least at the store level, opportunities to grow or show what you're capable of are few and far between.There's almost no openness as to the potential career possibilities or avenues within the company. It almost appears hidden to the stores. Its easy to feel stuck, or that you've reached the a ceiling.

Advice to Management

Lower management can be a tough, confusing position. It's very easy to feel "squeezed in the middle", between the far-ranging expectations of customers/team members and the often steep expectations of upper management, senior-level associates, and corporate executives. If you're going to stretch me thin, at least offer some incentive. I'll run around like a banshee on scant resources if I feel like I am being compensated or have something to work towards. I can't be an effective brand ambassador to our clientele without key tools and motivators.

8. "Best Work Place!"

Current Employee - Cashier/Associate/Party Host/Teacher in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Cashier/Associate/Party Host/Teacher in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee Discounts, Health Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Leave, Paid Vacation, Customizable Scheduling , Employee Perks, and much more.

Cons

Rewards sign ups determine how often you will be scheduled to work for the week, pay is every other week

Advice to Management

None.

"It's Okay"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the co-workers and the work is easy. I also like the discounts.

Cons

Management is clueless. Kept scheduling me during hours I said were unavailable. Corporate won't spend money on new radios and headsets and half of ours don't work. Not enough cashiers most of the time. They throw out perfectly good items that could be donated to schools.

Advice to Management

Corporate: Stop being cheap. The markups you do on your products should give you plenty of money. Have a heart and give all the stuff you throw away to schools and non-profits.

Management: Stop switching people's hours around.

10. "Employee"

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Decent hours.

Cons

Hourly rate is minimum wage. Therefore you work hard, for next to no money. However, this is the harsh reality of a corporate retail world.

11. "Sales"

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

I dont have much to say here, the only good thing about this place was my fellow employees.

Cons

I received little to no training, and was treated like i was incompetent if i even asked a question. And being there about a year i can say that that was the norm for most stores. Long term employees and managers would often be late or even absent to no retaliation.

Showing 1,303 of 2,496 reviews