Michaels Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017
2,571 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,571 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Great employee discount - 30% off entire purchase including sales (in 250 reviews)

• It's nice to see some customers arts and crafts and happiness they get from their hobbies (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • part-time roles, cannot make too much money (in 157 reviews)

• No full time position unless youre management (in 150 reviews)

"Designed for Custom Failure!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

friendly co-workers, decent employee discount

Cons

I have worked in the Michaels Custom Frame department since 1998, off and on. Back then it was fun, now its a race to meet sales goals and production goals. Granted, I love working in Custom Framing, but I have been pulling the weight of most of the production. I have competent colleagues but they are slow or are scared by the dry mount machine or large orders.

That being said, the demands of the morning framer are asinine. I work the 9-1 shift so that my kids are in school during those hours and no childcare is needed. Since January, in my 4 hour shift, I have to stock and inventory frames/art supplies/Wilton/wedding&ribbon. for three hours. Then I have 1 hour for "framing production" in which I am scheduled to work on 3 "large" (32x40" or complicated) orders. Then I get my manager asking why I didn't finish the three orders in an hour. I am not the Flash here, just a mere mortal who can do the job correctly and accurately.
    Lately, due to policy changes, I have been scheduled as Replenishment, now the cashier for 4 hours, never stepping foot inside the Frame shop anymore. It has been three weeks since I last framed. When the production falls, and then its "why isn't the production done?" Well, you took your most accurate, fastest framer and made them cashier. <shakes my head in frustration>
    I choose to become the framer not the cashier, I am a genetic Introvert. To much People-ness wears me out, and yet you put me in a position as a cashier or floor help.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers, we are tired of being kicked around. Your workers are leaving in droves and not asking the reason why.

2. "Family"

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have a family and flexible scheduling

Cons

Lack of Hours and Over hiring

Advice to Management

Don't hire more when not needed just give raises to increase incentive. Give more hours

"Certified Custom Framer"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's interesting work. You get to be creative and help people be crafty and have to think outside the box to find solutions to odd problems.

Cons

Management is awful. Many managers don't do their job and are paid more than associates (who do most of the work). That being said, a lot of part time associates are lazy as well, but it stinks when you're being paid the same as the lazy people even when you work much harder. Hard work is never recognized, let alone rewarded. As a framer, Corporate has impossibly unreachable sales goals for the frame shop, and it's all they care about. When I was being trained as a Framer, I was taught many ways to try to get customers to pay more than they wanted or needed to for frames. It seems the guidelines are focused on screwing customers over and getting quick money from them, instead of trying to create returning customers. The company charges WAY too much for everything as well.

Advice to Management

Actually do your job. Promote and reward hard work. Do not let associates be lazy. Pay employees a decent wage and maybe they'll be more likely to do a good job.

5. "Its okay"

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, and the discount is not bad

Cons

scheduling is pretty bad, and is not consistent

Advice to Management

You need to have more people working at a time, stop leaving workers short handed.

"Sales associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great with working around schedule. You wont get fired for calling in. If you need to leave mid shift they allow it (could be a bas thing if they dont hire new people)

Cons

The management suck. If your a goos employee you get walked on and have to do the jobs of other employees that just dont show up. The pay sucks not worth it dorbthe amout of work thry want closing floor to do. Lack of training and couching when doing things wrong.

Advice to Management

PAY NEEDA TO BE INCREASED!

7. "creative"

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

creative workplace for a design student especially

Cons

store gets a bit confusing with all the materials

8. "Seasonal so I couldn't expect too much"

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Fun, discount, not too many hours

Cons

Lots of downtime that needs to be filled with little supervision, not too many hours

9. "Loved it!"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had so much fun working for Michael's. I loved it so much and really enjoyed my customers and staff. I worked hard and was promoted quickly.

Cons

I don't think I was trained properly, once I was promoted to full time CEM. Which, ultimately led to my termination. I was not given enough time, like 2 days, to be trained as full time, once I received the promotion.

Advice to Management

I loved my job and wasn't given the opportunity to shine, once I was promoted to full time. Please provide guidance as it is a big step from PT to FT CEM.

10. "Clerk"

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Fun at first great discounts

Cons

Too much of a push to get customers email addresses

"don't do it. Corporate sucks."

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

small stores create a nice family kind of atmosphere among employees

Cons

Never given enough time to get tasks done and reprimanded when you don't. Corporate is constantly changing it's policies and is so confusing that it's very easy to get into trouble because the rules keep changing.

Advice to Management

Make up you minds and stick to it. Corporate wastes so much money trying to save money with failed plans and replacing disheartened employees. Let stores have more control.

Showing 2,571 of 2,598 reviews