Michaels Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

1,417 reviews

Current Employees

1,417 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great employee discount - 30% off entire purchase including sales (in 264 reviews)

• It's nice to see some customers arts and crafts and happiness they get from their hobbies (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little full time opportunities (in 163 reviews)

• Like all companies with part time employees: you'll never have more than 25 hours a week (in 163 reviews)

1. "Fun Times"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

My coworkers are cool. The managers have been super. Customers are fun.

Cons

Sales can be confusing. Signs sometimes seem to indicate all items within close proximity is on sale when often times the sign is for only specific merchandise. This can lead to hold ups for sign checks.

2. "Cashier"

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Nice employees and customers until they start getting upset over coupons . You get benefits like insurance, dental and vision depends if your working full time .Part time only gives discounts on your local areas.

Cons

When you start working and have no experience as cashier they will teach you once and if you ask for help they will be rude . They expect you to be a professional within a week.

Advice to Management

Be patient torse new employees and don't be rude it will make them feel uncomfortable .

3. "Great Employees and Managers, Terrible Corporate Structure"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with a wonderful team. I oversee a great team of cashiers and the other managers are good at what they do. The benefits are decent and so is the pay.

Cons

The corporate structure is an absolute mess. They recently began laying off managers from smaller stores by combining and eliminating full-time positions. We are not allotted enough hours to either give to current employees or hire new ones and, as a result, we're usually pretty strapped. Because of this, wonderful employees are leaving even though the environment is friendly and the managers treat them well.

Advice to Management

Please stop cutting hours from smaller locations. It's already difficult in the off-season, but it will be incredibly difficult to deal with during the peak season.

4. "Associate"

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Nice work environment and good team members.

Cons

Slow season hrs. Customers can get hard to deal with over coupons. Store theft with no team support.

Advice to Management

Support your team members.

5. "Entry-level job good for high-schoolers/college kids, bad for a career"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

An entry level job, good for building experience, very flexible scheduling.

Cons

Not a career company, not easy to move through the company, lots of turnover because of low wage and low mobility.

Advice to Management

If you want lower turnover rates, you should start hiring for higher positions in-company instead of continually expanding the bottom rung.

6. "Craftman"

Current Employee - Glazier in Lawrence, KS
    Current Employee - Glazier in Lawrence, KS

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small buisness not all that corperate mess

Cons

No room for quick advancement

"Sales Floor"

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in South Gate, CA
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in South Gate, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

When you have creative abilities it is a place where you can make recommendations, learn new trends and most importantly provide an exceptional customer service experience.

Cons

Management is detached & treat employees as indispensable. Rather than allowing employees to evolve and thrive they give them 4hours to no hours a week in hopes of them quitting. Therefore costing the company because the are in a continuous cycle of training and losing employees. No consistency can be built as its a revolving door.

Advice to Management

Consistency makes employees more efficient, loyal and thorough.

8. "It's Just Okay"

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

30% discount on purchases including sale items
    Every store is different so one location may be great to work whereas not so much in other geographic locations

Cons

Low salaries
    Upper management works poorly with stores

Advice to Management

Look at your district managers - it may be time to reassign some or as some managers are fond of saying, "make them a customer'.

9. "Former Cashier/Former PT Customer Experience Manager/Current Replenishment Manager"

Pros

Depending on your store, the people you work with can be the best coworkers. The environment can be fun at times and we always try to have a good time there. Employee discount of 30% including sale is fantastic (and almost dangerous)

Cons

I've worked here for years now in almost all departments and the most common denominator is how corporate or upper management have impossible standards for its limited employees. They never give enough hours to get things done in a way they want so that puts a huge burden on associates who work hard and are expected to shoulder all the workload in a small amount of time. They're also constantly changing policies so its hard for not only us but the customers to stay current on them. Upper management doesn't seem to understand that every store functions differently and yet we're all expected to be uniform across the board which is frustrating and stressful at times.

Advice to Management

If you want to achieve certain results, you need to be able to provide the resources to make them possible. If you want excellent reviews for customer service and well-stocked, beautifully presented stores that hold up to your standards, there has to be enough hours given to stores to get them done.

10. "Michaels"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management does not discriminate.

Cons

The rewards goals are unreachable.

Advice to Management

Your rewards are a joke. Stop punishing your employees because customers don't want or cant sign up for rewards. it is not our fault customers don't have computers, internet or trust that we aren't going to use their info.

Showing 1,417 of 2,758 reviews