Michaels Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

1,476 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Granted you aren't doing much that requires skill but it's not worth working there in a part-time capacity (in 168 reviews)

• Very little full time opportunities (in 164 reviews)

1. "Fun Exciting worth every minute"

Current Employee - Teacher in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers are fun to teach.

Cons

No cons to this job

2. "Michaels is a great place to work at"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Leawood, KS

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have great coworkers, which I do, and a willingness to get to know them, this is a cool place to work at. It's awesome to learn about crafts.

Cons

It's hard to know where all the merchandise is. So if customers ask you, "where do I find___? Which section?" Usually the response is, "I don't know. But let me find somebody who does." To people at Michaels, having lots of customers and employees really means having just a few customers and employees.

3. "Stylist"

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

There is great pay available.

Cons

Retail is very stressful at times

4. "Employment Experience"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Wichita Falls, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Wichita Falls, TX

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative, fun atmosphere. Co-workers are super close, more like family.

Cons

Part-time hours for non-management people.

5. "Slow Decline"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% discount
    Easy to move up to a higher position
    Lots of different skills you can pick up
    (class instructor, farmer, manager, cashier, floor person etc)

Cons

Pay is abysmal
    company refuses to allow hours = terrible scheduling, stressful days, fluctuates from being overworked and severely underworked
    general retail complaints

the company is very stingy money wise, especially when they change things every month and expect employees to bend over backwards to rake in their money

every second you are there (with the sometimes 2 other employees in the middle of the day) they cram as many tasks as you can possibly do. exhausting.

Advice to Management

Give the hours you need to to get the customer service you want (:

"Paid FEDERAL HOLIDAYS"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

30% off total purchase (excluding clearance and selected items)

Cons

Flex hours and work the days you want. Awesome Management team. Encourages CREATIVITY in their employees.

Advice to Management

POST your COUPON USE Policy. So your Associates do not get verbal or physically abused!! Pay us at least the Federal Holidays we work!!!! We make very little above minimum wage. The Northgate Mall pays $12/$15 per hour.

"Love hate relationship"

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer and Sales Associate in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people and they treat you well if you're a good worker. I love art, so I fit right in, and you can't beat the awesome discount. I enjoy working with the great customers (most of them) back in the frameshop and flourish in this environment because I know how to work with people and love to help others.

Cons

The pay is not great. There are places where you could get a lot more for way less work. They didn't give me the required raise from moving into the framing department from sales associate and even forgot to apply my raise after my 5/5 employee review. Make sure they give you the right pay because all of my managers "forgot"? I still haven't gotten it after working for over two years. Moving to a managers position, if part time, may only give you a 1.25 raise, but they tend to promote within the company if there are good prospects. My only other. Complaint is that they are incredibly understaffed. They only have like one floor person per night shift even during the Christmas season, which makes customers very unsatisfied, versus somewhere like hobby lobby which has almost one employee per isle every time I go. I just don't understand how we don't "make enough money" to give out more hours..... Turnover ratio is incredibly high because most employees don't really care about their job and look elsewhere for higher pay and more hours. Michael's schedules part-timers in 4 hour shifts just so you can't take a lunch.

Advice to Management

Have more employees in the floor and give better pay/hours if you want to lower turnover ratio of employees. You'd lose less money of hiring and training new people.

8. "Fast Paced and a Little Cranky"

Current Employee - Cashier in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice employee discount that includes sale items. Fun to work with customers on their questions about individual products. No strict uniform.

Cons

The management and coworkers, while usually friendly, can often be cranky and occasionally have unrealistic expectations. It's a fast paced environment with lots of things to do and often few people doing them. Minimum wage for a lot of work.

Advice to Management

Maybe be a little more positive.

9. "Great"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Stock Replenishment in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is nice and Friendly & It's All Team Work

Cons

When You Can't find Something or when you first start. & when people are very rude. But other than that its great

Advice to Management

Great Job. They keep it clean and they run a great store. The managers are great people.

10. "Receiver"

Current Employee - Receiving in Centralia, WA
    Current Employee - Receiving in Centralia, WA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None at all it sucks

Cons

People here are a bunch of stupid twits the bully and harass and gossip the supervisor talks shirt about employees at breaks hr is not confidential with harassment claims they spread stuff all over the company like wildfire managers are unprofessional and unfair and the pay sucks for people that have been here for a long time

Advice to Management

None for older employees I tried they said I was hired on for the warehouse and that's where I will stay 9 years and here I am

Showing 1,476 of 2,873 reviews