Michaels Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

2,722 reviews

Full-timePart-time

2,722 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great employee discount - 30% off entire purchase including sales (in 264 reviews)

• It's nice to see some customers arts and crafts and happiness they get from their hobbies (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little full time opportunities (in 163 reviews)

• Like all companies with part time employees: you'll never have more than 25 hours a week (in 163 reviews)

"No Training for New Employees"

Current Employee - Not Sure in Medford, OR
    Current Employee - Not Sure in Medford, OR

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Been employed by Michaels for over a month and the only good thing I can think of is some of my co-workers are very nice....

Cons

Absolutely no training program
    Unpredictable schedules
    inconsistent scheduled hours
    Schedules posted less than a week in advance and are subject to change at any time without notification.
    minimum wage
    employees cannot apply for advancement until employed for at least 1 year
    employee discount only good on regular priced items
    Management seems completely out of touch with the needs of employees

As a side note, I was hired as an "Instructor", have yet to be scheduled any hours in order to work on class prep, demos, or even for my scheduled classes. I am regularly scheduled to work as a "Cashier" although to date have only received about 5 minutes of training for the position. I continually receive reprimands for having made a mistake I even though I was never taught the correct procedure. As a new employee I never received any type of orientation, was never informed of a dress code (good thing I read employee manual before my 1st day). I was sat down in front of a TV in the classroom where I watched outdated video tapes which explained little of importance besides safety procedures. Was then sent to the floor to work as a Cashier with no real training, no information as to how to sign on to register, and without ever having punched in to the time clock. When I was told I should take a break I had to ask if an employee break room were available. My Store Manager continually asked me to schedule classes even though I was never given any information as to how this should be done, no scheduled time to work on this or a schedule of when the classroom would be in use. After successfully scheduling and booking students into my first class I was scheduled to work as a Cashier during the time my class was scheduled.

I find this lack of communication and training to be quite frustrating. Lucky for me I come from a managerial background and am not at all hesitant to ask for what I need.

I would not recommend Michael's as an employer to anyone looking for a stable job.

One last comment - it is overly hot in the store, this is a constant complaint from both employees and customer's. I was told that the air conditioning is set and monitored by a main office in Texas and there was not a way for us to make adjustments from our store. This is ridiculous in my opinion!

Advice to Management

Happy, well informed employees are good employees! Please take the time to institute a a comprehensive training and communication program. Your customer's will feel more comfortable shopping in a store where the associates are knowledgeable and happy. And turn up the A/C!

"Good talk, but no action"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to shop, fast paced atmosphere

Cons

Constant District Manager turnover, very pressure-driven, a 'do or die' type of management style from DM and RVP, they ask you to performance manage, but have NO bench for assistant managers or Customer Experience Managers. Store managers work 12 - 14 hour days. Rotating weekends off can happen - it just doesn't.

Advice to Management

Recruit HONESTLY - talk about the bad stuff. Get a talent bench.

3. "Total Dissatisfaction"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Meeting new people every day as well as establishing a bonding friendship with the customers and co-workers. Learning new craft ideas and seeing new products.

Cons

Low pay for more work. No worthy recognition for longevity with the company. The lack of respect for employees and traditions.

Advice to Management

Increase the salary among your employees. Show your employees that you really care instead of treating them like nobodies.

4. "Its ok"

Current Employee - Certified Framer in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Certified Framer in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are fun, and like family. the tasks daily are usually easy. its not really a "job" its really more of small tasks to help daily functions due to Over staffing issues. (at times understaff) but still tedious tasks..

Cons

the hours suck, the pay isn't worth the drive for your shift. Most of the customers ask you things they already know.. so look out, they snap if you are wrong...the company sets standards but expects you to go way above them, with little time, and also little training. "even when they have given you time" the raises are like returning pop cans to the store.. about one a year...

Advice to Management

my advice is promote from with in, and hire less. more employees who know and love there job will want full time. and willing to work it. stop with the policy making and changing of minds after its done said...

5. "constanat verbal abuse at North Aurora, Il."

Former Employee - Associate in North Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in North Aurora, IL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Checks did not bounce. Easy to get the job. Can't think of anything else.

Cons

IT was constantly a verbal abuse. Unrealistic expectations, and time restraints. A very poor work enviroment, and huge turnover of staff. Poor management...............

Advice to Management

Change the management. They leave a negative impact on the staff and the customers. Insist that the management help at the register when they are backed up.

"Disorganized, not enough hours or communication."

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Twenty Five percent Employee Discount, Access to Blackstone Marketplace website, can check your schedule, change availability, and request time off all online.

Cons

Not given the amount of hours agreed upon, apparently expected to know everything right away and not near enough training, very disorganized and sloppy with hiring procedures/paperwork, lots of drama between co-workers, felt out of place and not very welcomed.

Advice to Management

Make sure people are getting the proper training so they can actually do their job how they are supposed to, be more organized and professional with paperwork and hiring procedures. Talk to your employees if there are any issues with them before shoving them into another position.

"Highly Dysfunctional!"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Irving, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They talk the talk, but...

Cons

They don't walk the walk!

Advice to Management

Stop letting HR run the place. Encourage and reward those who tell the truth, point out what needs to be done and are inspired and assertive enough to go do it. Stop rewarding those that duck and cover.

8. "Hopefully and isolated incident, but Michaels Management needs a lot of work."

Former Employee - Cashier in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Missoula, MT

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and happy customers were the only things that helped me feel any sense of job satisfaction.

Flexibility in scheduling. Whenever I had a sudden scheduling conflict, my manager took it upon herself to find a replacement. She knew who was in greatest need of picking up extra hours.

Cons

Treatment by management was terrible. Michaels tells you on day one while watching their orientation videos that they offer competitive wages. Minimum wage is not competitive. There were too many workers, each usually only getting about 8 hours a week, even during the busiest time of the year. I was given a poor annual review; my store manager claimed that as a cashier I didn't know enough about the responsibilities of floor associates. I feel that was unfair because I constantly asked to be trained in the other areas and asked for ways I could improve my knowledge. I was denied that which would have provided me a better review, and a better raise. I felt it was as if they wanted me to quit. I had 115% on my cashier report (somehow) so I don't know why I didn't score better in other areas.

I was turned down for a promotion because they gave it to someone who they didn't want working directly with customers anymore. They had complaint after complaint with this person, and had many valid reasons to terminate employment, but instead moved said person to a position where they would never interact with customers. Instead of terminating and giving the position to a deserving person, they gave the higher paying job with more hours away.

Also, there was basically no training. I was thrown onto a cash register with my log on numbers, watched for about 10 minutes, and then told to ask when I had questions. If you look into this job, I hope you have either a lot of self confidence or experience cashiering because you'll need to catch on quickly. Luckily it's easier than being at a grocery store. It did take a great deal of pestering supervisors to learn the system properly.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people, not like tissue paper or other disposable items. Reward them when they do well; don't wait for them to do something wrong. An employee should always know where they stand without having to wait for an annual review to find out negative remarks. Make sure there is something good to say or you yourself will end up with reviews like this.

9. "Not good at all."

Former Employee - Replenishment Associate in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Replenishment Associate in Arlington, TX

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent starting pay. SOME of the employees were very helpful, and they know you won't catch on immediately and are understanding. But they do tend to stick the new people doing the crappier work.

Cons

For replenishment crew, there is no reason at all. Store was very unorganized. Had to wake up at 1 am most of the time, and got off around 10 am. It changes your whole life schedule. Work is tedious, and annoying, and it's an overnight job so most of the people I worked with slugged around, didn't move fast, and were weird as all get out. Required to move around a lot, but carry a bulky annoying price gun on a shoulder sling. And a headset with long wire. And a apron. Had gear flying all over the place at all times. Just overall, a bad experience.

Advice to Management

Get all the managers a more cohesive arrangement. Set up a system, instead of having somebody work on this section for a minute, then go help somebody in this section, then go back to their section, then get done and have to stand around asking what to do on a freaking walkie talkie.

"The values of this company and the treatment of its associates have totally gone downhill."

Current Employee - Material Handler in Lancaster, CA
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Lancaster, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I can no longer think of any.

Cons

No sense of American pride and most of the products are imported from China. Difficult productivity standards in the Distribution network. Frequent mandatory overtime and little opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people that keep this business going.

Showing 2,722 of 2,752 reviews